• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:47:20 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Sidecars

Started by Myst1cPrun3, June 27, 2021, 11:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst1cPrun3

It's a suggestion/a thing on my wishlist so here it is.

Sidecar support in GPB.

There are very few places to actually use sidecars, the most common ones being rfactor, TT Ride on the Edge, and the Old jester TT games.

While the sidecars there are mostly ok, they're lacking in areas. (Rfactor as it's a car SIM, and the TT Ride on the Edge because, well, physics). The best ones are from the old jester gamers which are PS2 era games (like GPB but unlike GPB they haven't been updated)

The reason why I'm suggesting this for GPB is with the development of moddable rider animations and models, having a dedicated sidecar passenger and animation isn't too far out of reach, and GPB could do the physics quite well.

I appreciate this doesn't really follow the 'Grand Prix Bikes' style GP Bikes development is aimed at, so I don't expect much to come of this suggestion.

However it could be a fun addition, and open up a new demographic/audience.

And besides, the sidecars are always bonkers and fun  :o

PiBoSo

Unfortunately sidecars would require completely new simulation code, in addition to support for the passenger animations.

F1 sidecars in particular are much closer to a car than a bike.
However, even F2 sidecars, which have bike-like suspensions and steering geometry, still use car tyres.

Therefore, they could not be added to GP Bikes as "mods".
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: PiBoSo on June 28, 2021, 10:20:28 AMUnfortunately sidecars would require completely new simulation code, in addition to support for the passenger animations.

F1 sidecars in particular are much closer to a car than a bike.
However, even F2 sidecars, which have bike-like suspensions and steering geometry, still use car tyres.

Therefore, they could not be added to GP Bikes as "mods".

Yeah that's what I was expecting. It's a shame as it could work well, and would be really fun.

Maybe if we could change frictional forces of a collision sphere, so we could make it where the sidecar wheel is instead, and just make a bike?

Probably not as it's just 'wishful thinking'.

Maybe in that instance it could be integrated into WRS if it's similar to cars? Could give that title a unique bit of appeal?