• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:45 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Gpbikes videos ;)

Started by BOBR6 84, May 09, 2014, 11:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidboda46

Quote from: Napalm Nick on June 02, 2015, 12:01:34 PM
Nice vid Gonzo, it proves to me that I still ride a lot less close to the limit as you guys do, and you can make it round a few laps without ending on yer ass.
Is this a simple case of some steering dampening required I wonder?

Yeah, but I have a feeling it's mostly down to the riders weight distribution. The other problem is the "dragging of the front" in change of direction, or when you try to straighten the bike up. And btw, for the most part when I'm pushing I only make it around 1-4 laps before I crash. My best lap at Mugello with the RCV2014V (the only big bike I'm sort of able to ride) is 1m58, I average around 2.0-2.3, in sunny 20c-conditions, and with no wind. In the real race this past weekend, the top 10 fastest laps were between 1.47.654-1.48.774 - and that was on a greasy track surface.   

Cheers.

David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

JJS209

when you made 2 or 3 laps the pressure should be 1,40 bar i think. also u are using no rearpreload.
also keep in mind that we have no steering damper, have we?

Napalm Nick

I can confirm, for me at least, that big rear preload  changes cut head shakes and even tail shakes a lot.
It was suggested to me during the Mallory Park races and seems to work.

As for the whole 'setup' issue of inducing large pre load, bump and rebound settings to help with front tucks, shakes, rattles and rolls etc I'm not happy that is anywhere near a realistic approach.  :(
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

teeds

Quote from: davidboda46 on June 02, 2015, 01:46:25 PM
My best lap at Mugello with the RCV2014V (the only big bike I'm sort of able to ride) is 1m58, I average around 2.0-2.3, in sunny 20c-conditions, and with no wind. In the real race this past weekend, the top 10 fastest laps were between 1.47.654-1.48.774 - and that was on a greasy track surface.   

Are you thinking we should all be able to do the same lap times david? I see that some have done 1.48 in the game, so it is possible to match real life somehow?

I'm the same as you though in that my best is about 1.57 ish but I'm under no illusion that it was a lap that has lots of room for improvement. In between crashes I still focus on clean laps and while doing so learn to improve my braking, lines and acceleration (which are pretty all over the place currently) but it will take time. So I guess I'm happy that my times don't match that of the worlds and GPBs elite riders. Not saying everything is perfect with the game mind but I'm starting to realise that a good setup helps me help myself  :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: JJS209 on June 02, 2015, 02:19:30 PM
There's a steering damper, it's just not shown in the bike settings (and hence it can't be tweaked in the garage).

MaX.

davidboda46

June 02, 2015, 05:10:52 PM #320 Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:16:16 AM by davidboda46
Quote from: teeds on June 02, 2015, 02:28:57 PM
Quote from: davidboda46 on June 02, 2015, 01:46:25 PM
My best lap at Mugello with the RCV2014V (the only big bike I'm sort of able to ride) is 1m58, I average around 2.0-2.3, in sunny 20c-conditions, and with no wind. In the real race this past weekend, the top 10 fastest laps were between 1.47.654-1.48.774 - and that was on a greasy track surface.   

Are you thinking we should all be able to do the same lap times david? I see that some have done 1.48 in the game, so it is possible to match real life somehow?

No, I am not implying that. But I do know that I could shave at least 2 sec of my best time if I didn't have to lift off the gas every third time and wait until the bike settles down. As for setup, yes there are ways to minimize the problems (and I am not good at setting up the bike), and, yes practice and you do get better... BUT: The way the bike behaves in the game is not the way it behaves in real life (I know it will never be exactly the same and so on...). You don't get tank slappers because there happens to be a little camber, the riders don't automatically jump off the bike as soon as a wheel touches a curb, and your handlebar is not as sensitive to changes in direction as a sheet of paper in the wind. My point is: the bikes should handle differently "right out of the box". Tweaking settings should be about finding more corner speed, better traction out of the bends or more stable braking and so on. It should not be about trying to get the bike to behave as a bike should in the first place. This game is still great and I hope these problems will be fixed, but I'm getting a little annoyed with people just writing "it's all about practice and settings" after every post that bring up any problems that the bikes have. My opinion is that the bike physics in many ways took a wrong turn from Beta 4 (I've been playing since Beta2). If somebody can do 1.47, my hats off to them, and if I never will, that's also fine, as long as it's down to my own skill and not the bikes behavior.     

Quote from: JJS209 on June 02, 2015, 02:19:30 PM
I never said anything about steering dampers. But I do have a suspicion that the problem also comes from aerodynamics. The Kalex 2014 Moto2 actually is quite stable on the front but when you get close to top speeds on the straight at Mugello, the bike goes in to an insane head-shake, and the bike is completely upright. It's like the wind grabs the rider, bike, or both, and as a consequence there is less weight on the front and the front becomes to light. But I'm really just guessing here... It might be something completely different.       

Those are my 2 cents...

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

davidboda46

Quote from: Napalm Nick on June 02, 2015, 02:27:02 PM
I can confirm, for me at least, that big rear preload  changes cut head shakes and even tail shakes a lot.
It was suggested to me during the Mallory Park races and seems to work.

I tried to add some preload at the back, but then I feel the bike is way to unstable under braking... if I remember correctly :)

I'm gonna play around a bit more with the setup to see if I can improve the handling. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it another try.   

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46

teeds

Some fair comments david, check out the lap times for that track http://gp-bikes.motonline-france.com/bestlaps.php

And I thank bob for this info, helped me and several others to get something better to learn to ride faster with, seems generic too.

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on May 19, 2015, 11:35:09 PM
Personally I go with a long wheelbase, front brakes leverage 16, low engine braking (higher in game value).. traction control 5-6.. Low front preload, fast rebound. Soft compression..

16 front brake seems subjective though but works for me, if you can flip it, it's enough  ;)

davidboda46

Quote from: teeds on June 02, 2015, 08:24:28 PM
Some fair comments david, check out the lap times for that track http://gp-bikes.motonline-france.com/bestlaps.php

And I thank bob for this info, helped me and several others to get something better to learn to ride faster with, seems generic too.

Thanks Teeds, I'll check it out.

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46

BOBR6 84

Quote from: RIDER on June 02, 2015, 12:00:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sqLLHzXYtw
http://www.youtube.com/v/_sqLLHzXYtw

It's interesting to see the different riding styles and control setups here. I'll post a vid on Suzuka my fav track, after I get controls setup for this patch.

Great lap mate!  8) nice one  ;)

C21

June 03, 2015, 08:03:31 AM #325 Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:19:32 AM by C21
@davidboda
I started in Mugello with a 2.05, then down to 1.58, down to 1.55, down to 1.53 (and 1.51 will be possible).
I did not focus on the settings. I only adjust the gearing and stiffened the front (driving the GP12  :) - so please don´t try it on the RCV, the RCV already has a stiffer front than the GP12)
I was on the HL server while Davide (one of or the Fastest driver in GPB) drives 1.50 (with a GP12 also!) and he is a really skilled driver but did not work with the suspension a lot (afair) also.
At the beginning i did not even admire to drive a 1.53....but is till don´t have a clue how Davide rides below 1.50....
Just train and learn the track and don´t focus that much on the suspension. you can really mess things up.
The main thing on the MGP bikes: Don´t use Full throttle as much as you can and think that the electronics are doing the rest.... ;)
Looking at your youtube lap:
- it is possible to brake later at the start finish lane entering 1st corner (you can brake into corners  ;) )
- your lines are too wide in the middle of the track so you´re loosing time..
- try to accelerate slower on the throttle on you are faster on the lap time ;)
Another help is to watch a good driver on a online server, you can learn a lot about fast lines on the track.

BTW: i also used soft tyres and race1 mapping on the 1.53 lap.

# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

HornetMaX

Quote from: C21 on June 03, 2015, 08:03:31 AM
The main thing on the MGP bikes: Don´t use Full throttle as much as you can.... ;)

^ That.

MaX.

Klax75

DST full manual controls, full manual rider, no riding assists. I am using auto clutch because of the bug during races on the starting grid if the front tire moves side to side at all, you get disqualified. :( Using a Wired X-Box One Controller.

DST Yamaha 500 YZR Ulster GP Helmet View
http://www.youtube.com/v/jXup0QxZLKE

davidboda46

Quote from: C21 on June 03, 2015, 08:03:31 AM
@davidboda
Looking at your youtube lap:
- it is possible to brake later at the start finish lane entering 1st corner (you can brake into corners  ;) )
- your lines are too wide in the middle of the track so you´re loosing time..
- try to accelerate slower on the throttle on you are faster on the lap time ;)
Another help is to watch a good driver on a online server, you can learn a lot about fast lines on the track.
BTW: i also used soft tyres and race1 mapping on the 1.53 lap.

Thank you so much for the constructive criticism. The reason why I take wider entry lines is that I can pick up the bike earlier and have a slightly better chance of avoiding the front end wobbles that you get when you're accelerating half leaned over in a corner. I also have a tendency to run wide on the exits when I take a narrower line. I will try to take tighter lines with less gas on exit and see how it goes (and try the GP12 as suggested).
Question. Do you guys use manual rider L/R? I found that auto rider L/R just tucks the front all the time. But I also noticed that I have to straighten the rider up before I start to straightening the bike up out of the corner, otherwise I loose the front (blame that on the 6c-handling). How do you guys do it?

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46

Napalm Nick

I use Manual F/R also with Auto set - main use is to allow early tuck in. Love it.

I mainly use Auto L/R but when I find a track that has a consistent "might lose the font" corner I often pop on Manual L/R, also with Auto set, to allow me to control (usually reduce) the lean at that corner. I did this in a few Moto 3 champ races and it worked nice.

Perhaps more fuel to the tucks being caused by the Virtual Rider?
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"