• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:08:27 PM

Gpbikes videos ;)

Started by BOBR6 84, May 09, 2014, 11:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on October 08, 2015, 09:39:36 PM
It will also permit to test resources costs (ram & CPU?)
I don't think this will be a problem anytime soon.
Just to give you an idea, SFML (the library I use to play the sounds in my tool) has a limit of 256 max simultaneous sounds and I guess that this can be achieved without any big timpact on the overall workload.

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on October 08, 2015, 09:39:36 PM
As for Max's tool, yes, it REALLY helps. At the beginning, i was using the notepad to manage the scl (with great results, i used a calculator in parallel, which permitted me to precisely set up the transitions/rpms etc..), but what i made in 3 hours, i can do it in less than 15 minutes now. It's a great tool, and permits to focus on new and/or better ways to set up sounds instead of focusing on the syntax.. After, i have lost a bit of precision, since i don't calculate anymore, but use the graph/sound simulation to build the sound..
That was the intention when I created it :) Glad it works fine !

Concernig 2-strokes: in MXB Piboso once posted a video of a 2 strokes. It didn't made it into the last beta (and I don't know if it will make it into the next beta) because apperently Piboso didn't like the sound, but if I recall correctly, it sounded pretty OK to me :)

https://www.youtube.com/v/nxR8H6CHNIE

MaX.

C21

Sorry but that sounds like a lawnmower, not like a decent MX 2stroke bike.
I would not use the sound either..
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

HornetMaX

It's a 2s MX bike, by definition the closest thing to a lawnmower that could exist on earth :)

To me it's far better than any mod sound I've heard in GPB (2 strokes or 4 strokes).

MaX.

BOBR6 84

look at the smoke though  ;D ;D 8)

Eagle

>Max

It might not cost a lot alone, but something to keep in mind is that there's not only sounds that are loaded/used (also, they are constantly varying). :)

What is also interesting me in this experiment is how much charges this "technique" is adding.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on October 09, 2015, 06:25:28 PM
>Max

It might not cost a lot alone, but something to keep in mind is that there's not only sounds that are loaded/used (also, they are constantly varying). :)
For any PC not 10yrs old, this is a tiny load.

I don't know if having 20 or 40 samples for an engine will make the sound any better (I doubt), but if that's the case, do not hesitate in doing so.
The impact on the overall performance should be hardly visible.

The amount of computations GPB does for physics is likely much more than what it does for sound.
BTW, I don't know if there's an hard limit on the number of samples in a .scl file.

MaX.

Eagle

Well, for 2 strokes the two distinct audios are varying depending on the audio listener location, and throttle intensity, so, i guess managing both separately would help simulating it better.

And for the config, not everyone can have an i13.GTX19293/80GB RAM etc... :p

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on October 09, 2015, 08:36:56 PM
Well, for 2 strokes the two distinct audios are varying depending on the audio listener location, and throttle intensity, so, i guess managing both separately would help simulating it better.

And for the config, not everyone can have an i13.GTX19293/80GB RAM etc... :p
Listener position is beyond what you can do, it's managed by GPB. Same for throttle intensity.

For the config, you're under the impression that you need a top PC to run a lot of audio samples. That's not that case. Really.

Make a complex .scl with many samples and we can try it out on different configs: I'd be surprised if we can see the impact, even on modest configs.Could be an interesting test.

That said, I don't think that the number of samples is what is limiting us now.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

Vini

Quote from: HornetMaX on October 09, 2015, 09:08:29 PMListener position is beyond what you can do, it's managed by GPB. Same for throttle intensity.
This may be one reason why two strokes don't sound that realistic in GP Bikes.
Throttle intensity greatly influences the sound characteristics of a two stroke (especially when the power valves are opening)

edit: very nice riding bob!
btw, which tc setting do you use?

Eagle

October 10, 2015, 12:09:11 AM #535 Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 12:13:02 AM by Wh1t34Gl3(SAS)
QuoteListener position is beyond what you can do, it's managed by GPB. Same for throttle intensity.

I know. And that's one of the reasons a "decent" simulation of 2 strokes sounds is actually impossible on GPB, even if the sounds are well made.

QuoteFor the config, you're under the impression that you need a top PC to run a lot of audio samples. That's not that case. Really.

I don't say that it costs a lot, i focus on the fact that this charge (whatever weight it has) is added to the rest of the resources loaded/interacted with. I already have difficulties running gpbikes (mods included), which is not extremely optimized. Any negative variance in the framerate will make a certain difference in the gameplay.. Plus, i don't have the worst config, so i think about some people that run it with lower ones (near to minimum). Sounds a bit of an extreme reasoning, but we are never enough careful. :p

QuoteMake a complex .scl with many samples and we can try it out on different configs: I'd be surprised if we can see the impact, even on modest configs.Could be an interesting test.

Gonna try when i have time to dedicate to GPB (don't know when and how long..). Could be funny with like 70 samples playing randomly. :lol:

QuoteThat said, I don't think that the number of samples is what is limiting us now.

I agree, there's problems coming from other locations.. Also, i wasn't referencing this as one, but something to keep an eye on, at least the time it's being tested.

In any ways, waiting for beta 7 and new contents/features coming with it (community's included). ;D

Edit:

>BOBR6 84

Great video. ;D :thumbsUp:

What is this bike ?

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on October 09, 2015, 11:55:12 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on October 09, 2015, 09:08:29 PMListener position is beyond what you can do, it's managed by GPB. Same for throttle intensity.
Throttle intensity greatly influences the sound characteristics of a two stroke (especially when the power valves are opening)

edit: very nice riding bob!
btw, which tc setting do you use?

Love the video Vin! Now that is what I want to hear from a 2 stroke GP500 bike in GPB....... Also notice the differences in sounds as the bike is coming towards you and away from you; I know GPB has this ability, but it will be interesting to see if we can get the correct effect with the 2 stroke engine sound....... Also the engine sound from the on-board rider 1st person view will sound different than when hearing the sound from a track-side spectator point of view. We need this difference in sounds too. Another reason I think the whole sound system needs redesigning, because at this time the on-board sound is same as off-board(Track-side) sound.

Hawk

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on October 09, 2015, 11:55:12 PM

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on October 10, 2015, 12:09:11 AM
I know. And that's one of the reasons a "decent" simulation of 2 strokes sounds is actually impossible on GPB, even if the sounds are well made.

Just to be sure (I'm sure Wh1t34Gl3 knows that) , it's not that GPB does not manage throttle intensity at all: it does.
Today, depending on throttle position, it will mix the OFF throttle samples with the ON throttle samples. So some sort of dependency on throttle is already there.

Side note: in MaxSCL I try to do the same, but as Piboso didn't want to disclose how exactly he does that (which is understandable) I just did something out of my mind: it sounds close to me but there's no gurantee it is actually the same as GPB (most likely it's not).

Quote from: Hawk UK on October 10, 2015, 05:28:36 AM
Love the video Vin! Now that is what I want to hear from a 2 stroke GP500 bike in GPB....... Also notice the differences in sounds as the bike is coming towards you and away from you; I know GPB has this ability, but it will be interesting to see if we can get the correct effect with the 2 stroke engine sound.......
If it can do it for 4s, it can do it for 2s. The effect you talk about (Doppler) applies to all sound sources/types.

I just did a quick test (replay, put a free roam cam on finish line at victoria and listen a 990 storm on the straight) and I have to say that the doppler seems pretty light to me.
So questions: I know openAL can handle Doppler, so if GPB is using it, maybe there's some tuning of the doppler parameters ...

@Hawk: BTW if you do the same test you'll clearly hear that GPB has "stereo/3D" sound. You'll hear it better with headphones, as often.

Quote from: Hawk UK on October 10, 2015, 05:28:36 AM
Also the engine sound from the on-board rider 1st person view will sound different than when hearing the sound from a track-side spectator point of view. We need this difference in sounds too.

This is already the case. Easy check: get on the bike in neutral, keep it at 10K rpm and switch between 3rd person view and rider view(s). You'll hear a difference.

To be honest though, the difference seems to be too small. Sound for Rider pov should include the effect of a helmet and (eventually) earplugs. Sound for 3d person view should not (or optionally, it could) and sounds from external views (cameras) should not.

Hmm a few questions here ... I'll make a dedicated topic.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on October 09, 2015, 11:17:22 PM
some practice laps..

https://www.youtube.com/v/4e-IDZEoNl0

Good video Bob very helpful and a good attempt at nearly reclaiming your thread  ;)

So I have questions about it:
1. How come you do more than one lap without random wobbles, backflips and crashes? I know I've said this about your style before but you seem much smoother than is possible, for mortals, in this game. You have super sticky tyres or super smooth skills? ???

2. How come you are able to accelerate so hard before/at the apex without the bike starting to understeer / opening out the corner. A classic example is at the corner at 4.05. I wouldn't dream of putting the power down that hard that early when already so close to the outside edge of the kerb. Usually I am at full buttock-clench with eyes shut at this point. It seems so not-doable it looks odd! Although this corner highlights it the best, you are doing it on most corners and was the thing that struck me the most almost immediately when watching your vid. Its almost like you are using the power to tighten the corner.  This could be the fundamental reason (maybe for a lot of us?) why the average lap pace is so off the fast boys and girls times.

3. Um...How come you are going to tell me its with a default setup too? lol.

Anyway good vid Bob gives me something to try to develop my er...skills.  :-[   ;)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

It is noticeable that applying power tightens the turn and open throttle lets the bike drift wide- noticed this on a lot of turns and maybe its more apparent in first person view.

I do wish the helmet overlay followed the horizon tilt, always looks odd to me otherwise.