• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:44:28 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Changing the steering sensitivity in the demo?

Started by user90834, January 25, 2022, 10:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

user90834

Does anyone know where I can change the steering sensitivity in the demo? I'm trying it out with a VR headset and an Xbox controller but I don't see anything about changing the steering sensitivity or "direct steering." Just lean sensitivity.

Here's a picture of the settings: https://i.imgur.com/5yd1h2A.jpg

There are options in the drop-down under advanced but nothing for steering, just things like front brake, rear brake, clutch, F/B lean, and R/L lean. I've calibrated it to the proper range of motion of the joysticks but it's incredibly sensitive, like a few degrees of deflection around the center of the X/Y joystick will lean my bike fully in one way then the other.

Chris_Beeves

Maybe you need to calibrate your controller? Shouldn't be necessary with an Xbox controller, but it sounds like something is off. Just click calibration and move all the axes to their max.

It's the 'lean' settings you want to change. It is the steering.
20% deadzone sounds like a lot, try something like 5%.
I had to try..

user90834

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on January 26, 2022, 07:07:03 AMIt's the 'lean' settings you want to change. It is the steering.
20% deadzone sounds like a lot, try something like 5%.

I calibrated and the range looks correct when I test it, it goes full deflection to full deflection.

The only deadzone settings I see are for the "lean" dropdown. There's simply no dropdown for "steering" whatsoever. Is that a bug?

Chris_Beeves

I had to try..

user90834

That's pretty confusing. So in VR, to countersteer AND lean, do I just physically lean? When I tried that the bike didn't countersteer and the lean didn't initiate, just my body positioning changed.

I think ideally what I'd do is deflect the joystick to countersteer, lean my body, and the bike would remain at that angle without further inputs on the handlebars, like real life.

Chris_Beeves

It can be a bit confusing yeah.
If you use rider tracking your headset will control rider lean, not bike lean.

The virtual rider controls the steer angle. To use countersteering you will need to use a force feedback unit and enable directsteer.

I'm not sure what you expect the game to do. Have you played any other bike game?
I had to try..

user90834

I mean, it looks like the virtual rider switches to counter steering once you're above a certain speed, but it happens automatically. When you're in the pit -X will muscle the handlebars left, but -X when you're at-speed will turn the wheel right so that the bike dips down,  more and more until you hold that joystick deflection, and less and less when you ease back towards middle.

I'll try lowering the deadzone, thanks, though normally there's a dedicated sensitivity slider for analog inputs. I'll also try the linearity sliders, which sounds like it's modifying a curve, hopefully to reduce sensitivity from small inputs.

Chris_Beeves

Never mind what the virtual rider is doing. He is on top of shit. (And when he isn't, there's nothing you can do about it anyway)
Push left to go left. Push right to go right.

Try setting deadzone to 0 and go from there. You're usually not releasing the stick even when on the straights anyway. The direct lean slider is kind of a sensitivity slider and kind of not.
Linearity is that yes, you move your resolution sweet spot around.
Hope you get it to the way you want it!
I had to try..

poumpouny

What do you really want ?

1 - You want to play in Direct Steer mode ? (that mimic the real word) the steering is controlled by your controller and the rider lean by your VR headset position (wich also influence the bike lean a little bit, like in real word). If you want that, i don't think a Xbox or any "joystick" will be playble, there was only one men who was able to play gpbikes in Direct Steer mode, he's name is klax, but i think that took him Years of practice to juste be able to make 1 lap without falling ! so i think you'll need a force feedback wheel or homemade ffb controller to be able to use Direct Steer mode.

2 - You just want to play gpbike the normal way (push right direction to lean right and vice versa )  but want to controll the rider lean by your VR heaset and you feel that leaning sensivity is too much. So you'll need to check :

- Joystick calibration as said above
- Direct Lean value : 100 % = 1:1 scale ration of your joystick and the bike steering angle. if you want it to be smoothed lower it (20 - 50 %) should work.
- Steering gain : check that you didn't push it up by inadvertance.
- Check also dead zone setting.