• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

(WIP)Test - Tyre Grip Tuning for the 500cc Varase....

Started by Hawk, June 12, 2014, 11:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on June 13, 2014, 07:39:13 PM
I personally think I've gone overboard with this one, but at least you should see a much looser rear end than before to give you guys who didn't feel much difference a good idea of what we are trying to achieve.
Hawk, if you upload the entire bike, change its name to "varese_v594_hawk" or something, it will avoid some people messing it up with the original one.

So I gave it a try: 5 min on the original, 5min on your one, on victoria (dry). More than enough.

As you have drastically lowered the grip of the rear tire, the bike, not surprisingly, leans a lot less and so, not surprisingly, is slower in any corner.

The lean difference is HUGE: I see 3 to 5 degrees on the fast turns in Victoria.

Once again: lowering the grip is not the right way to achieve what you want.

Quote from: JamoZ on June 13, 2014, 09:58:42 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on June 13, 2014, 09:50:34 PM
I don't think you can simply replace a bunch of beta4 params with the beta3 ones and get back to the feeling of beta3.

Why not, just fiddle around with some numbers  :P While we`re at it, can i have my Beta 3 brakes back aswell?

It's not only numbers fiddling, parts of the model have changed.

And yes, you can have your beta3 brakes, slides (and tankslappers) back easily: install beta3  :P

MaX.

P.S.
I have all the betas since beta1b, I'll see if I can upload them somewhere.

JamoZ

You ask, i provide :

http://www.youtube.com/v/3v-K-8c0Msk

http://www.youtube.com/v/dffDkkdLh9c&feature=youtu.be

It`s not impossible, and this was a 5 minute try. Also don`t mind it being recorded with a potato...

Desteban

@JamoZ
how were the brakes better in beta3?  :o

@grT
Well...opinions...

@hawk
I tried you latest version and I don't think thats an improvement. When trying to load the rear it spins, or really takes some time till ready. My guess thats about 4 sec. slower on average than standard and since the grip transition is still very sudden you don't tend to have more slides but actually less. Well less successfull slides and more crashes  ;D
I noticed that the best slides I had were all with groove. Thats not just with the Varese but any bike. Did somebody else notice this effect?

Klax75

Hawk

Hi Guys.

Well.... I've been experimenting all night with different settings, even using different chassis weights, suspension, gear and tyre pressure settings to try and smooth out that transition between the tyre breaking away and spinning around on you, but I just cannot find any happy medium. So, I've come to the conclusion that at the moment, unless someone can really go deep into the physics and try to sort it out then it's not possible at this time.

The videos: Don't get me wrong guys, I agree they are showing a power slide(no doubt about that) but only little tiny ones and you don't have to be a top rider to do those kind of power slides in GPB as I do them often(and I'm crap!Hehe), especially on Mallory Park 1978 through the ESSES it's quite easy to do a little power slide to turn your bike into the corners, but try to do a constant controlled power slide through a long bend like Spectator corner and for me it's not possible(Maybe you guys can have a go and see if you can do it? ;)), and I've seen no evidence yet of anyone doing a constant controlled power slide in GPB, even just from the apex of a corner through to the exit I haven't seen it. All I've seen are just the little ones like in the videos above. Maybe someone can ( and I'd be happy if someone could) post a video or a replay file to prove us wrong? :P :)

So the test is now finished as far as I'm concerned... If someone else wants to continue with this and keep experimenting(Tracey said she was also experimenting), then I'll follow with interest to see what someone can achieve or discover.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and comments.... My appreciations to all who took part. Thank you!   ;D 8)

Hawk

Quote from: Klax75 on June 13, 2014, 10:43:09 PM
Here is a video of me sliding the R6 back in January.

R6 Slide:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ik4I9v7lqy0

Hi Klax..... Very nice slide, but again only a little one. And on an R6 too! :o  This test/debate is for the 500cc 2 stroke bike and it's characteristics.... Away with your devil 4 stroke machines!! Hehe  ;D ;D

Hawk.
( Just joking!! As I'm sure you well know mate.  ;) ;D ).

Klax75

I've done it on the 500cc a lot of times, just they are so quick it's hard to notice. lol When practicing DST, they happen a lot more often.

Hawk

Quote from: Desteban on June 13, 2014, 10:35:54 PM

@hawk
I tried you latest version and I don't think thats an improvement. When trying to load the rear it spins, or really takes some time till ready. My guess thats about 4 sec. slower on average than standard and since the grip transition is still very sudden you don't tend to have more slides but actually less. Well less successfull slides and more crashes  ;D
I noticed that the best slides I had were all with groove. Thats not just with the Varese but any bike. Did somebody else notice this effect?

+1  ;D

I absolutely agree.... This version was really just for those that were saying they could not feel or see any difference. So I provided one that was way too slick so that they could actually feel it.

Sorry about that... I'll post the one I was testing tonight myself for you.  ;)

Hawk

Quote from: Klax75 on June 13, 2014, 11:13:14 PM
I've done it on the 500cc a lot of times, just they are so quick it's hard to notice. lol When practicing DST, they happen a lot more often.

I'm going to have to get into the DST thing.... I think there is a big difference when riding everything manual, including all the steering...... I expect you to teach me well.  ;)  ;D

Hawk.

JamoZ

@JamoZ

Braking late is (was) my strongest point in GPB. In beta 3 i was able to outbrake almost anyone on any point of the track, i have lost all the feeling for it with the new braking "simulation" I can`t lay my finger on it, but it changed in a way that i lost all my trust in the brakes.

Hawk

June 13, 2014, 11:38:08 PM #70 Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:49:28 PM by Hawk_UK
Update: Saturday 14th June 2014 @ 00:36 hrs

Here is my the final test bike download link: https://mega.co.nz/#!yIUhXKJY!UL_n9tZxoX11ni15Tq0DG6gTAB_KOgJj8Y5L9Io2Ijk

See what you guys can do with it, and again post your comments here.  :)

Hawk.

PS: 1st post download link also updated.

Hawk

Hi Jamoz.

Thanks for the videos showing your power slides.... Very nice, but again only little small ones..... Have you a big long one to show us?  :P ;D

Hawk.

JamoZ

Hawk

HornetMaX

Quote from: JamoZ on June 13, 2014, 11:32:05 PM
@JamoZ

Braking late is (was) my strongest point in GPB. In beta 3 i was able to outbrake almost anyone on any point of the track, i have lost all the feeling for it with the new braking "simulation" I can`t lay my finger on it, but it changed in a way that i lost all my trust in the brakes.
Oh well, you just have to tell us which other thing makes you out-something anyone on any point of the track, so that we can ask for them in beta5 !

Sounds legit ;D

MaX.