• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Rpm changing by the angle of the bike?

Started by janaucarre, June 12, 2014, 06:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janaucarre

Hello,
Is there any chance to have, in futur beta of gpbikes, a more realistic thing, sorry i search my terms in french to:):
When i hear new gp motorcycle( i don't know if it was so much with old 500cc), more the bike takes angle more the rpm rise, because the point of contact between the tyres an the asphalt becomes a smaller circle than when the bike is straight.
ie it changes the transmission ratio.
Have you an idea if it will be possible to have this upgrading later?
I think it can help for braking, acceleration, and if no it can be more realistic.
Thank you.

HornetMaX

I'm not 100% sure but I think this is already taken into account.

Not sure it's that visible though: I haven't done the math but first sight seems strange you can hear/see the difference.

MaX.

PiBoSo

Quote from: janaucarre on June 12, 2014, 06:22:55 PM
Hello,
Is there any chance to have, in futur beta of gpbikes, a more realistic thing, sorry i search my terms in french to:):
When i hear new gp motorcycle( i don't know if it was so much with old 500cc), more the bike takes angle more the rpm rise, because the point of contact between the tyres an the asphalt becomes a smaller circle than when the bike is straight.
ie it changes the transmission ratio.
Have you an idea if it will be possible to have this upgrading later?
I think it can help for braking, acceleration, and if no it can be more realistic.
Thank you.

Thank you for the report.
Radius calculation will be fixed in Beta5.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

BOBR6 84

June 12, 2014, 07:40:28 PM #3 Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:55:26 PM by BOBR6 84
That will be an incredible addition..  8)

On circuits like the ulster gp and TT mini especially!

HornetMaX

Alby46

Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

janaucarre

Thank you Mr PIBOSO:) Great news, i think about that from many months.

HornetMaX

When you lean the bike, the part of the tire you ride on has a smaller radius (compared t the radius in the middle of the tire).
I'm not sure it makes some sort of difference to the feeling. It's something that in real life can be used for example to estimate in an indirect manner the bike lean angle.

MaX.

Alby46

understood, an update of the radius calculation really makes sense to me :)
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

Alibaskins

Wow maximum realism  :o

Good to read Piboso answers   8)

Même si sans maîtrise la puissance n'est rien, sans puissance, la maîtrise ne fait pas tout !

Ian

This would only effect modern bikes
Needs to be added in a way that works less for older bike tyres

HornetMaX

Quote from: Ian on June 13, 2014, 12:53:39 PM
This would only effect modern bikes
Needs to be added in a way that works less for older bike tyres
Why it would only affect modern bikes ? It affects any bike.

MaX.

EdouardB

I confirm in real life it does on every bike (modern or old). It does change a little bit from bike to bike (depending on tyre profile), but barely noticeable.

The change of RPM however is very noticeable, and does change shifting points and stuff like that (on some tracks you upshift before the turn because otherwise you hit the rev limiter when you lean the bike and it's very uncomfortable). It's especially noticeable sound wise on 600s because of how high the RPM is.

Really happy for this to be in GP Bikes soon :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: EdouardB on June 13, 2014, 03:27:54 PM
I confirm in real life it does on every bike (modern or old). It does change a little bit from bike to bike (depending on tyre profile), but barely noticeable.

The change of RPM however is very noticeable, and does change shifting points and stuff like that (on some tracks you upshift before the turn because otherwise you hit the rev limiter when you lean the bike and it's very uncomfortable). It's especially noticeable sound wise on 600s because of how high the RPM is.

I know it's a long shot, but do you have any numbers you recall exactly ? How many more RPMs a given bike was taking when leaning, stuff like that.

MaX.

EdouardB

June 13, 2014, 03:33:42 PM #14 Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:55:34 PM by EdouardB
It's very complicated because you're almost never at a constant speed on racetracks (always accelerating or braking)... The closest I can think of is the uphill left hander at Folembray, but the lean angle is not very big. About +1k RPM on a 600 maybe (if you watch MotoGP, it's extremely noticeable at high lean angles). I would not be surprised if it reached +2k RPM (or more) on a 600 when it's a really high lean angle. It's very noticeable on track. Even some beginners with low lean angles notice it.

It's very easy to calculate if you measure a tyre however.

Another effect of it is that when you pick the bike up at the exit of a turn, the RPM doesn't rise as fast!