• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:05:19 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Snetterton lap Video experiment

Started by PeterV, August 15, 2014, 01:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterV

iVolution

Nice video peter, who are you racing there?

Also it may help to put a description and tags in your youtube video if you want other people to find it as well

PeterV

yeah i will add some info to the video :P

The blue opponent was Loopateli

davidboda46

Hi Peter.
A question: how do you make videos? I've tried with Fraps but it comes out lagging in full resolution and the video file is gigantic, even with the capturing resolution set to "half". Is there a better way, maybe converting the RPY-file to AVI somehow?

Cheers.

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

PeterV

August 15, 2014, 02:51:54 PM #4 Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:23:45 PM by PeterV
I record the replay with Bandicam. In this case i used an 1960x1080P resolution with a quality of 80% using the H.246 NVIDIA NVENC codec with 30 FPS.
This gives really large filesizes, this particular 1 lap is around 650mb. Dont mind the big filesizes but my upload is at best only 1 mb so it takes a while  >:(

You can use bandicam for free, then you only have to put up with a Bandicam logo in top of screen.

>>> Bandicam <<<

Hawk

Nice video and great little dual you two were having there!  Love the "Old School"  logo and the "BBC Sport" logo is a very nice touch too!  ;D 8)

Very nicely done mate!  ;D

Hawk.

JC#21

HornetMaX

Quote from: PeterV on August 15, 2014, 02:51:54 PM
I record the replay with Bandicam. In this case i used an 1960x1080P resolution with a quality of 80% using the H.246 NVIDIA NVENC codec with 30 FPS.
This gives really large filesizes, this particular 1 lap is around 650mb. Dont mind the big filesizes but my upload is at best only 1 mb so it takes a while  >:(
650mb for 70 seconds sounds way too much. You have 2hrs long movies in 1080 in well below 2GB ...

As you're recording from a replay, you can probably use a much better encoder (even if it is more cpu-intensive).
Or you can re-encode the file with Handbrake (free): for a few minutes it really takes no time.

Personally I use MSI afterburner (free, no watermarking, works with any graphics card, not only MSI) and its Intel QuickSync encoder (you need a QuickSync capable processor for that, otherwise you can use another more classical encorer), with no need to re-encode behind (not even when downsampling from 1920x1080 to 960x540 or less).

And MSI afterburner does a bunch of other useful things (GPU overclocking / monitoring).

MaX.

PeterV

August 15, 2014, 05:02:30 PM #8 Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:50:27 PM by PeterV
thx max ill have a look into that.

Edit:

Just tried it on the same recording, result:

Bandicam 1920x1080 30fps 100% quality                        Filesize 1.11GB.

Handshake encoded                                                        Filesize: 204MB.

This says it all  ;D :P

LOOPATELI

HornetMaX

Quote from: PeterV on August 15, 2014, 05:02:30 PM

Handshake encoded                                                        Filesize: 204MB.
Guess you mean Handbrake :)

I don't know bandycam, but it's fairly likely that the encoder you were using is designed to have a very light cpu impact, so that you can use it while playing live: that could explain the poor encoding performance.

As you record from a replay, you don't really care about cpu load, so any other decent encoder should do it (maybe even Bandicam has a good one, don't know).

Last advice: if you record to upload to youtube, 720p is likely more than enough (will save you some extra MB).

MaX.

Arvoss

I use fraps to record my video's. At full resolution 1080p, 60fps, the movies are +- 1GB/minute. Now I found another program called !Action. Haven't tested it on GP Bikes yet but it works fine on GRID Autosport for example. Smaller files and no frame drops when I play. :D

HornetMaX

Quote from: Arvoss on August 15, 2014, 09:35:29 PM
I use fraps to record my video's. At full resolution 1080p, 60fps, the movies are +- 1GB/minute. Now I found another program called !Action. Haven't tested it on GP Bikes yet but it works fine on GRID Autosport for example. Smaller files and no frame drops when I play. :D
What do you mean with "no frame drops when I play" ? FPS drops ?

That'd be surprising because even Intel QuickSync, which uses a very efficient hardware encoding (available in Action! too) does generate some FPS drops in GPB (at least to me, i5-2500 @ 4.4GHz).

Interestingly, what bothers me more is not really the FPS drop (I usually score pretty high with a 7950 on a 120Hz display, so even if the drop is noticeable, visually it's still OK), but the fact that when the FPS drop happens, you seem to have also some sort of input lag, the control feels sluggish.

MaX.

P.S.
Wow, 60fps capture ... bit of overshoot for our needs !

PeterV

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 15, 2014, 09:24:23 PM
Quote from: PeterV on August 15, 2014, 05:02:30 PM

Guess you mean Handbrake :)
MaX.

Well yes Handbrake  >:( ;D

Thx for the advice Max, ill experiment some more with all the settings.

PeterV