• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

what happened to Ben spies?

Started by BOBR6 84, October 10, 2014, 04:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOBR6 84

Only really been following world and british superbikes this year.. Dont have BTsport.. Is ben spies still in motogp? Whats goin on with him?

Klax75

He retired last season, half way through. He had a injure was out several races, then his return at Indy he got hurt again. Then decided to retire.

BOBR6 84

wow really? thought he would have gone back to SBK.. shame. great rider, super aggressive on a superbike!

girlracerTracey

October 10, 2014, 08:06:55 AM #3 Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:30:17 AM by girlracerTracey
I thought he would really do things in motogp but despite early promise it just never materialised. I think if he had been on the pace with ducati he would have carried on. His injuries were the catalyst for him to retire not arguably the cause of his retirement..

On a superbike he was stunningly brilliant. Right up there with arguably the greatest superbike racer of all time, Scott Russell, in the opinion of many (the only superbike rider to win a championship against the odds on a four cylinder 750cc superbike until John Kocinski repeated the feat on the RC45 in 1997).  Ben Spies reminded many "commentators" and team managers of Scott Russell when he arrived on the scene as a title hungry rookie in world superbikes.   

A parallel of sorts in grand prix terms also as Scott Russell showed flashes of true brilliance on the rgv500 Suzuki but suffered some unlucky crashes. In his "rookie" year in grand prix Russell was circulating fastest in practice for the Donington Park grand prix against the very top riders but suffered a serious crash that put him out of the race which was not his fault. 

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2014/Jan/140114number3.htm

grT

Klax75

Scott Russell commentates for AMA racing in America now days. With his very thick Southern U.S. (Georgia) accent.  And I think also races cars.

girlracerTracey