• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:41:38 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Tracking Setting in GP Bikes?

Started by Hawk_UK, November 09, 2013, 09:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Hi Guys!

Does anyone know if "TrackIR5" works with GP Bikes? I've turned on tracking in the setting but it doesn't work.

I presume the "Tracking" setting in GP Bikes is for head tracking while riding via a device ie, webcam(Face Tracking), or for "Tracking"an infa red device such as "TrackIR5"?

Any ideas why it's not working?

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk_UK on November 09, 2013, 09:41:54 PM
Hi Guys!

Does anyone know if "TrackIR5" works with GP Bikes? I've turned on tracking in the setting but it doesn't work.

I presume the "Tracking" setting in GP Bikes is for head tracking while riding via a device ie, webcam(Face Tracking), or for "Tracking"an infa red device such as "TrackIR5"?

"Tracking" uses FreeTrack only.
It should be possible to use TrackIR using mouse emulation.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Hawk

November 09, 2013, 10:27:52 PM #2 Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:30:47 PM by PiBoSo
Quote from: PiBoSo on November 09, 2013, 09:59:40 PM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on November 09, 2013, 09:41:54 PM
Hi Guys!

"Tracking" uses FreeTrack only.
It should be possible to use TrackIR using mouse emulation.

Hi Piboso. Thanks for the quick reply.

Mouse Emulation? How do I set that? I presume you don't mean the "Mouse Look" option? I've tried all options for the "Tracking" settings, none work on TrackIR5.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

PeterV

i was sick after trying it myself  :)

Using the Mouse Emulation utility

Overview
The TrackIR software has been optimized to provide you with the best experience possible, it gives you a simple, yet powerful and highly customizable way to use TrackIR device for in-game view control. Some games however, do not have TrackIR support built in and this is where mouse emulation can be used.

The TIRMouse program provides very basic features and partially relies upon the main TrackIR software application to provide additional customization capability. This program allows you to use the TrackIR in a game that is not TrackIR enhanced.

You can select any of the TrackIR 6DOF axes to control the X and Y mouse emulation movement.     You can enable auto panning for the X mouse movement which will continuously send mouse movement commands while in the auto-pan range.

X Axis
You can assign various axes used by the TrackIR here. By default this is normally 'Yaw'.

Y Axis
You can assign various axes used by the TrackIR here. By default this is normally 'Pitch'.

X Axis Auto Panning
When in the auto-panning zone it will continuously send movement commands. This allows a person to turn slightly and have the view keep moving. A good example would be in strategy games in which you move the cursor to the edge of the screen and the movement keeps panning in that direction until you move away from the edge.

Using Mouse Emulation in Games
The basics are as follows:

- Load the TrackIR software.
- Load the TIRMouse.EXE file that is located in your TrackIR installation folder. C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR for example.
- Load the game you wish to use and be sure to have the mouse look option enabled within the game. With mouse look turned on you should be able to use the TrackIR now.

NOTE: Some games may not have a mouse look option!

C21

November 10, 2013, 09:11:10 AM #4 Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:35:58 AM by C21
Isn't it possible to use Freetrack with Trackir5? I know that the Freetrack Developer had to put Out a Patch Version of V2.2 to remove the TrackIr Support, but i assume that the Support is still present with V2.2? I did not tried it due to a lack of Time...
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

Hawk

Quote from: PeterV on November 10, 2013, 08:07:54 AM
i was sick after trying it myself  :)

Using the Mouse Emulation utility

Overview
The TrackIR software has been optimized to provide you with the best experience possible, it gives you a simple, yet powerful and highly customizable way to use TrackIR device for in-game view control. Some games however, do not have TrackIR support built in and this is where mouse emulation can be used.

The TIRMouse program provides very basic features and partially relies upon the main TrackIR software application to provide additional customization capability. This program allows you to use the TrackIR in a game that is not TrackIR enhanced.

You can select any of the TrackIR 6DOF axes to control the X and Y mouse emulation movement.     You can enable auto panning for the X mouse movement which will continuously send mouse movement commands while in the auto-pan range.

X Axis
You can assign various axes used by the TrackIR here. By default this is normally 'Yaw'.

Y Axis
You can assign various axes used by the TrackIR here. By default this is normally 'Pitch'.

X Axis Auto Panning
When in the auto-panning zone it will continuously send movement commands. This allows a person to turn slightly and have the view keep moving. A good example would be in strategy games in which you move the cursor to the edge of the screen and the movement keeps panning in that direction until you move away from the edge.

Using Mouse Emulation in Games
The basics are as follows:

- Load the TrackIR software.
- Load the TIRMouse.EXE file that is located in your TrackIR installation folder. C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR for example.
- Load the game you wish to use and be sure to have the mouse look option enabled within the game. With mouse look turned on you should be able to use the TrackIR now.

NOTE: Some games may not have a mouse look option!

Hi Peter.
This has been a great help! I've actually got IR5 working on the Mouse emulation. I didn't know such a facility existed in the IR5 folder until you pointed it out here. Thanks for this, mate! ;D

I must admit though, I'm not impressed at all with the use of tracking with GP Bikes on a single monitor screen PC setup(More suitable for a proper simulator rig setup, I guess?); I thought I'd be able to look ahead round the corners to the apexes and be able to bring the bike around the corners through feel and judgement..... But one vital thing missing for this to work properly is, the sensory inputs from other parts of the body to judge were the bike is underneath you in relation to were your looking..... Well I don't know if it's a case of practice makes perfect but, for me personally, it just feels impossible to keep track of the bike underneath you while your also looking ahead around the next corner.... All your judgment gets messed up because you have no frame of reference of what the bike is doing once it's out of visual frame.

Basically unless you have a real bike set up on some kind of simulator rig operating GP Bikes( or maybe a multi-monitor setup on a PC), then all the sensory inputs you need to ride well in this mode just don't exist.

How did you get on in this mode, Peter? You mentioned being sick after trying this.... Was this the all at sea effect.... I'm beginning to feel a little "Queezy"  right now. LOL

It would be interesting to hear from others who have also tried this mode and how they got on with this? But for now I think I'm going to go back to my normal operating mode before I throw up! :P

Again... "Thanks for the post, Peter..... It was just what I needed to get this working and try this out for myself" 8) ;D

PeterV

Quote from: Hawk_UK on November 10, 2013, 11:04:58 AM
How did you get on in this mode, Peter? You mentioned being sick after trying this.... Was this the all at sea effect.... I'm beginning to feel a little "Queezy"  right now. LOL

I just tried it like for 30 min. but it didn't feel right to mee. (not including the sickness feeling).
Ill stay with the 3th and 1st person view for now.

Hawk

Quote from: PeterV on November 11, 2013, 07:17:22 AM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on November 10, 2013, 11:04:58 AM

I just tried it like for 30 min. but it didn't feel right to mee. (not including the sickness feeling).
Ill stay with the 3th and 1st person view for now.

I agree absolutely with what your saying there, Peter.... Just didn't feel right at all(for me personally); I'm going to stick to my normal mode, too ;)

Hawk

Quote from: C21 on November 10, 2013, 09:11:10 AM
Isn't it possible to use Freetrack with Trackir5? I know that the Freetrack Developer had to put Out a Patch Version of V2.2 to remove the TrackIr Support, but i assume that the Support is still present with V2.2? I did not tried it due to a lack of Time...

You know, C21.... I really haven't a clue whether it's possible to do that... Maybe some of the other guys here could enlighten us on that question.

Klax75

I'd still like to give TrackIR 5 a try. :) But I don't have one. lol

C21

@HAwk
I will give it a try if i find the time to test it.
i´m really interested if it will work or not.
Maybe i will try it over the weekend but i can´t promise.
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

CapeDoctor

hi guys
an old thread, but as my questions pertain to tracking, i figured better here than a new thread.
okay, so i've been trying to get my trackir 5 to work, tried every setting i can think of, but yet there is no tracking of any sort going on in my game.
what am i missing here? is trackir not supported? if not, what setup are guys using that works?
no matter what combination of tracking, facetracking, mouselook i use, i simply have nothing but the fixed view ingame.
any ideas?
thanks in advance for an assist...  :)

CapeDoctor

June 19, 2015, 02:47:45 PM #12 Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:49:28 PM by TheCapeDoctor
okay, so another instance of 'found the answer straight after posting' lol
i missed the advice from the early part of this thread, and got it working now.
just one little snag atm, i only have response in the up/down movement ( y axis?)
can't seem to get any left/right response (x?)
anyone who can advise me as to what setting i should be looking for to sort this? up/down is all good and well, but i'd much prefer left/right....

edit - never mind, realised my mistake (again, after posting, lol - all working great now, cheers :D

Napalm Nick

TrackIR is not supported in gpbikes and due to naturalpoints stance on exclusivity it probably never will.

Using the search term 'trackir' will give you a few days good reading which is probably a shorter period than flogging-the-dead-horse-to -get-it-working-PROPERLY-only-to-realise-it-wont, will take.

Another good search term is the recent threads about head tracking experiments- ed tracker

However, a fresh set of skills like yours looking into track ir might provide a revelation! So I will follow with interest.

As a fellow flight sim /track ir fan I'm just as disappointed as you probably are but we'll all be wearing headsets soon - our search for reality will make us lose sight of reality. Poetic huh  ;)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

CapeDoctor

Nick, i followed PeterV's advice (4th post in this thread) and got it working pretty easily with the TiRmouse feature, now just figuring out how to adjust the tracking to be a bit smoother.
i'll be sure to let you know if i discover anything, meanwhile at least it does with TiR 5, so i didn't spend good money on it for nothing.
i've been reading up on EDtracker which also looks pretty promising, and i'll definitely consider that as an alternative.
will probably get my brother, who's in Glasgow, bring me some of the goodies when he comes to visit again - the postal service in my country has unfortunately gone to the dogs, not much of what i order from overseas ever arrives....
my next set of upcoming questions will concern controller settings, as i'm really struggling to come to grips with the gamepad, still doing better laps with keyboard, lol - anyway, i'll soon start a new thread for that, as there'll be enough questions to warrant its own thread, for sure  ;D