• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Rider Weight and Turning.

Started by Klax75, January 28, 2015, 01:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klax75

With each beta, I go back to default steering, and see the changes. Then I return to DST. One thing I noticed that I think maybe she be added in Default steering too. With Default Steering, Direct Lean set to 0%, it is very similar to DST. Except with DST you have to opposite steer when at high lean angles or the bike will fall over. Where as with default steering and direct lean 0% the bike turning as much as you want won't let the bike fall over. And the bike won't recenter if either, same with DST. But one difference that is very useful with DST is the riders weight and position can steer the bike too.

So if I am using DST riding in a straight line at lower speeds and move my rider from left to right, the bike will turn left and right, without any input to the handle bars. This should be added to Default Steering using Direct Lean of 0%. Right now with default steering, direct lean 0% the riders weight and position has no effect on the bike side to side, you can move the left and right but the bike well continue to go in a perfectly straight line.

For me in DST in some turns I am using the riders weight to turn the bike more then using the handle bars in certain instances.

Docfumi

+1 Klax, I hope PiBoSo can find a good solution to this. Until then I will continue to search for that secret line.  ::)
I didn't lose the race, I ran out of laps.

h106frp

When you achieve body steering in GPB, do the bars move or is it truly just a lean of the bike effect?, it also seems very odd that when the rider falls in GPB the bike has a tendency to roll a considerable distance until the speed gets very low and it topples, this would tend to suggest the bike model is very stable and wants to run straight and vertical - which is sort of understandable, a bike will cease turning and stand up just by applying the front brake in a turn (if your a bit mad or of a panicky disposition ::)).

In real life when setting up a corner you can have your weight a long way off the bike centre line and the turn will not start until you give the bars an input and you do not feel like you are applying much steer if any to counter this.

Their does not seem to be much agreement in the motorcycle world on body steer/counter steer effects, must admit to being in the counter steer camp myself but i wonder what models GPB uses.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Klax75 on January 28, 2015, 01:58:16 AM
So if I am using DST riding in a straight line at lower speeds and move my rider from left to right, the bike will turn left and right, without any input to the handle bars.
Without any input on the stick associated to the steering. That doesn't necessarily mean that there's no torque acting on the bars (even if your' steering stick is centered).

If, as you said, with DST and going straight you see the bike leaning (significantly) simply moving the rider, then it is very likely that in GPB moving the rider generates some sort of bar input
(which makes sense, happens in real life too).

Body steering, as commonly perceived, just does not exist. This video has been shown millions of times (start at 2'30" if on a rush):

https://www.youtube.com/v/8_5Z3jyO2pA

It is not 100% true that body steering does not exist, but the vast majority of riders think that at speed their bike turns because they're moving their ass (or knee) out. That's wrong.
They would make a smaller mistake if they thought that body steering does not exist.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

At low speed you can ride the bike with your hands behind your back.. (rolling down a hill with corners) put pressure on the foot pegs L/R.. i think that's just the geometry of the bike though.. it sort of counter steers by itself if that makes any sense.. i guess its the same as a push bike..

that would be foolish at speed though lol

HornetMaX

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on January 28, 2015, 10:15:13 AM
At low speed you can ride the bike with your hands behind your back.. (rolling down a hill with corners) put pressure on the foot pegs L/R.. i think that's just the geometry of the bike though.. it sort of counter steers by itself if that makes any sense.. i guess its the same as a push bike..
Of course, you can do the same on a bicycle.

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on January 28, 2015, 10:15:13 AM
that would be foolish at speed though lol
It wouldn't be foolish: it's just that the bike won't steer at all (or almost) :)

MaX.