• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Best buy? - Assetto Corsa, iRacing or Project Cars?

Started by Hawk, March 25, 2015, 03:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Hi guys.

I've been wanting to get Asetto Corsa or sign-up to iRacing for a while but have seen "Project Cars" since and personally Project Cars looks better than both?.... If any of you guys have any info or experience playing with these then I'd like to ask: "Which is the best and why?".

Project Cars does look amazing, I'm very tempted!  ;D

Hawk.

PeterV

March 25, 2015, 03:55:58 PM #1 Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:03:11 PM by PeterV
I have been riding Assetto Corsa and Iracing.

I like both but......
If i ride in Iracing i miss the FFB feeling of Assetto Corsa. It feels a bit plain in comparison between the two.
But then  again if i start riding the Cadillac or Porsche then i soon forget that especially when in a race.

I do not always drive Iracing cause of the cost aspect, im not going to buy all the content.
This means ill have too pass on some race(week)s, due too not having a particulair car or track.

If i had to choose between the two i would pick Assetto Corsa. The new laser scanned Nordschleife is the bomb.

ps
If project cars looks better then Assetto Corsa then my monitor will explode  ;D

_oDi_

i-Racing dominates :)
is a really "pro-sim" product, but it is very expensive and requires a lot of effort ...
Assetto Corsa and Project Cars have a sort of sim-arcade weird physics, but they are certainly more friendly.

Alternatively there is rFactor2 which has a very good physics engine very close to that of iRacing.

JamoZ

My short summary on this subject as a veteran 4 wheel simracer ;)

Project CARS IMO only looks amazing in screenshots. It doesn`t look half as good when actually playing, even on the highest settings It has a really "gamey"and plastic look over it. Besides that the physics, FFB and sounds are mediocre at best. It feels like a good racing game which tries to impress the crowd with all kinds of whistles and bells like thunderstorms and dynamic day/night cycles which in all reality most people won`t fully use anyway.

Iracing is great in what it does. It provides balanced class racing and very good physics out of the box. The FFB is good, but doesn`t translate as much detail trough the wheel as some other sims do.
The costs are what keeps me away from playing this title more regularly.

Assetto corsa feel the most natural out of the box out of the 3 titles. FFB & physics feel very alive and convincing and give you sensation of actually driving a car that`s connected to the road trough 4 rubber tires. But it lacks a bit on content compared to the other 2 titles.

i personally am in love with AC and am addicted to it...

just my 2 cents..

tseklias

Quote from: _oDi_ on March 25, 2015, 03:59:20 PM
Alternatively there is rFactor2 which has a very good physics engine very close to that of iRacing.

That's what i would recommend Hawk. rF2 has also a really wonderful tire simulation and imo the physics is by far the best you can get today.

doubledragoncc

SHIT...............WHERE to start, everyone has their own FEELING when it comes to a sim and then there is the reality aspect of how much you want it ALL. I am a REAL feel junkie............I want it ALL!!!...........POINT!!!

BUT, what I prefer is what gives the best compromise for all, I want the best graphics so my brains sub logic wont push negatives at my thoughts, I want to see and feel the  track or road I am riding or driving on to be as near to the real life as it is, because many I know in real life, I want the physics of the vehicle to be true with no exaggeration of handling, GIVE the immediate sensation of being as near to real life as is possible with today's graphics engines and just make the whole wanting of a totally satisfying driving experience both physically and visually, I would after MUCH losing sleep and frustrated fights with AI and real drivers that have an attraction to kiss my butt, decided that the number one can actually not be decided as Project Cars is yet to be released, therefore making the 3 top bet incomplete, as it stands I put it as:

1. Project Cars
2. Assetto Corsa
3. iRacing

I think that for the best OVERALL comprise from the 3 for my personal feelings, PCars will win in the end, it is just so much more immersive, visually, physical FFB feeling, realistic sensation and the end point the enjoyability.

At only £29.86 on Amazon Project Cars is the best bang for bucks you will get, even if you have to wait, but compared to RIDE..................FallingOffCouchLaughingMyBollocksOff at the same price I think money is well spent.

Assetto Corsa and DLC together are only £39.99!!!

Such a hard choice, but the top two allow you to race online with no monthly cost!!!!

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

BOBR6 84

Assetto corsa...

Even though im rubbish at it and I play with a pad  :D its great.. I may buy myself a wheel for it.

Klax75

Quote from: PeterV on March 25, 2015, 03:55:58 PM
I have been riding Assetto Corsa and Iracing.

I like both but......
If i ride in Iracing i miss the FFB feeling of Assetto Corsa. It feels a bit plain in comparison between the two.
But then  again if i start riding the Cadillac or Porsche then i soon forget that especially when in a race.

I do not always drive Iracing cause of the cost aspect, im not going to buy all the content.
This means ill have too pass on some race(week)s, due too not having a particulair car or track.

If i had to choose between the two i would pick Assetto Corsa. The new laser scanned Nordschleife is the bomb.

ps
If project cars looks better then Assetto Corsa then my monitor will explode  ;D

iRacing.com is getting Nordschleife too sometime this year, was listed last December as a track for 2015. Which is probably the same laser scan used in AC.

I like both, but I do prefer iRacing, the selection of cars in AC, I really don't like all that much. AC has offline AI to race, iRacing doesn't have any AI, it's solely online for racing. iRacing is pricey, but it does have 4 major updates a year for free. And I do like the back end tracking, I can look back at my events since I started in 2012.

I'd like to use the AC Nordschleife in GP Bikes. :D

doubledragoncc

Assetto or PCars for bikes? I am waiting for PCars to release to go and talk with Andy as he is real busy right now..........DOH!!!, but I have a few ideas to throw around lol. Can tell how stressed SMS is just from the secretary on the phone lol.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

grimm

Since the latest update to Assetto Corsa adding yet another batch of awesome race machines and a laser scanned 'ring, it is by far the best if you want something immersive and fun. I spend quite a bit of time running DTM cars at the ring lately and found the Yellowbird on full boost with semi slicks will keep ahead of the 3 DTM machines if you have a serious ability to control a Porsche at the absolute limit. Drifting is well sorted too. And there isn't anything quite like the JPS livery turbo Lotus F1 car... an incredible machine to say the least in full qualifying trim, nothing aside from Rfactor has ever gotten so close to the real deal the way AC has brought it to life with stunning detail.

A 3/4 lap with the Lotus at Bathurst:

https://www.youtube.com/v/1_asircF_CI

Tarmac rally track with a Cobra:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Mg3BFtPyrak

ALEale

If you're serching a "child" game like Granturismo, Assetto corsa is that you have to buy...

Please don't call it SIMULATOR...

if you think that AC is a sim, what is GPBIKES? WRS? KRP?????!!!!

Come on guys...

P.s. : MARKETING HAS FUCKED SOME BRAIN...

doubledragoncc

AWWW come on ALE AC and PC at least are as real as it gets with a compromise and besides it all depends on controls used and how hard you set it...............Try sub 7's on the ring at hardest level and feel the difference between the two, different approaches to same track but both F'in close and until I get my new TX tomorrow I have had to fight it with a shitty DFGT, but still feels dang good to drive on both.

DD

JamoZ

Quote from: ALEale on March 25, 2015, 07:35:32 PM
If you're serching a "child" game like Granturismo, Assetto corsa is that you have to buy...

Please don't call it SIMULATOR...

if you think that AC is a sim, what is GPBIKES? WRS? KRP?????!!!!

Come on guys...

P.s. : MARKETING HAS FUCKED SOME BRAIN...

I always respect your opinion and thoughts ALEale, but as far as i recall, Kunos didn`t really market AC other then some screenshots/movies so they never intend to sell it as something that it`s not. No bullshit stories like real drivers using the game to practise for races, or spamming advertisements across the sim blogs. AC might not simulate all aspects of racing at the moment, but for me, someone who has enough real life experience in decently fast cars and has been simracing since GTR1, i don`t find another game that gives me the feeling of driving a real car. Sure there are better racing simulators out there, but as far as the driving feel goes, AC is imo as good as it gets at the moment. I`m confident that Kunos will add all the missing stuff later to make AC compete with the likes of RF2 or iRacing.

Calling AC a kids game goes a little bit too far. I see enough people online that can`t even make it trough turn 1  ;D

doubledragoncc

Kunos is not just leaving it at the released stage, I have had 3 updates in the last week, so they are trying to improve as much as they can so I thank them for that. The first DLC was great and fairly priced, still waiting on the official Lambos but the MOD ones are fun and enjoyable to drive. I wont really know until an hour from now when my new TX wheel turns up and then later a set of T3PA pedals, pondering on which shifter to buy or make one. My main reason for the TX is to test my clamp-on bars plugging into the TX to use for throttle, brake and clutch for XBOX One bike games, PS systems have to wait in line.

DD

Hawk

I am listening to what all you guys are saying here.....

I already have rFactor2(had it since it was first pre-release beta) and find it very good indeed and it just gets better and better with each build, excellent in fact! It's just that I wanted to try something else to see if all the hype of the three simulations in question is as good as it's said to be?

rFactor2 has a big benefit over iRacing, in that once payed for(I personally have a lifetime license to rFactor2) then all updates and content are free. Unlike iRacing which okay they have a very professional organisation of races, etc, etc, but quite frankly I feel iRacing is a rip-off by asking subscribers to pay a monthly subscription and then on top of that to pay for Tracks and cars etc, etc.

So from what I've heard here so far I'm steering towards giving either Assetto Corsa or Project Cars a try. I think I'll wait till Project Cars is released and see what the reviews are like before making my decision.

This thread has been interesting reading...... Thanks everyone for all the advice and information posted above. Appreciated.  ;) 8)

Hawk.