• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:46:16 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Jumps.

Started by Klax75, March 26, 2015, 09:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klax75

I've noticed on some tracks the bike will leave the ground, Nordschleife on the long straight you will jump. I've notice though the bikes back wheel doesn't want to leave the ground very easy. Tracks like Caldwell Park, on the "jump" section the bike will just pop a big wheelie and flip over. So I have to slow down, since the jump area is at a turn. The back wheel doesn't want to go off the ground. Not saying I want to be Evel Knievel lol, but it seems like the rear tire is hard pop off the ground when going at speed, especially when the bike is at any kind of lean angle.

Is it DST? Watching BSB at Caldwell (on YouTube) seeing the air time, then in GP Bikes riding the track the bikes just want to flip over. Is it the track? Or the sim itself, the front tire will get light very easy the back doesn't.

HornetMaX

Could be a weight distribution problem.

MaX.

Hawk

Interesting....

I agree with Max's conclusion: Usually when a rider comes to a section of track that he knows will lift the front end the rider will move his weight forward to compensate and keep the front end from flipping over. I think this is possible in manual rider mode and should prevent the front from flipping over, but with me not using manual rider you'd need to test this.

Klax, I know you do use manual rider movements(in fact all manual controls); have you tried moving the rider forward, for example, over the "Mountain" section at Cadwell Park"? I'll be interested to know how this effects the balance of the bike through these type of track sections.  ;)

Hawk.

Klax75

It might be like Max said. With manual rider on Nordschleife right before I hit the "ramp" I have to do a quick flick of the throttle off, and sit the rider up slightly, because I've tried pushing hard forward and the bike wants to flip back. As soon as I hit the ground again I push back forward.

Where as Caldwell, since you are at a lean, no amount of speed I can get, will get the back wheel off the ground. The bike will want to flip backwards, even when I am pushing all the weight forward. So I usually have to hit that spot a lot slower then I'd want to so the bike doesn't flip over.

Come to think of it on a start line if I am holding the throttle and pushing forward with the rider the front wheel well want to raise and wheelie hard, or flip. Almost like the weight in manual is going in reverse for a second. Where as if I have the rider sitting up, then push forward after I am moving or not accelerate super hard off the line it will be Ok. After I got some speed then I push forward. Or it could be, but I am not sure. Since the rider will only tuck in at 90 mph. Maybe the weight doesn't move until 90 mph either. I've never been sure if full tuck in at that speed is just a visual thing, or if the weight actually doesn't shift ward. The smaller bikes it's not a issue since they don't have the power to flip it over off the start for me.

Nordschleife right before the jump if I'm going 180 mph or so, I'll have to get it down to about 160 mph or it will flip backwards, or I'll do a huge wheelie when I hit the ground and probably fall over.

PiBoSo

This behaviour is probably due to aerodynamics, not weight distribution.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Klax75

Quote from: PiBoSo on March 26, 2015, 12:02:19 PM

Ok cool. Thanks for the info. :)

Hawk

Hmmm... That has made me wonder if the aerodynamics can effect the bike understeering through corners too?

Under bike physics testing it seems as though if you move the chassis mass factor one way you get bad understeer, but if you move it towards the opposite way then we get instability manifesting itself with bike wobbles and front end washouts. So can a combination of aerodynamic and chassis mass setting solve these problems better than adjusting just the one(namely just the chassis mass alone)?

Hawk.

HornetMaX

The fact that on a jump the bike wants to flip could be due to aero, sure.

But the fact it seems hard to have the rear wheel leaving the ground, I don't see how aero could play a role in that (unless something very wrong is in place, like the bike generating some down-force at the rear of the bike, or the CoP very misplaced). Even if flipping, the rear should leave the ground on a "good" ramp and with the right inputs ...

Anyway, it would be nice to shed some light on the aero section of the bike.cfg ... likely nobody (on the forum) knows what some params are: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=2107.0

MaX.