• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

New to WRS

Started by pleclair, May 01, 2015, 12:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pleclair

Well, I was looking at WRS, KRP and GPB for a while, but being on a tight budget made me wait a bit  (euro -> cdn isnt very good for me :P).  Tax return time now, so I was able to finally get my hands on them.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with my purchases I must say.  KRP is very interesting and I will likely be playing this a bit.  That's just too bad we cannot record an ai racing line and build up an AI, cause I'm an AI racer (or hotlapper, I hardly play online)

However, I'm terribly deceived by the content made available by/for the community.  I've downloaded first the nordschleife (I dunno where this comes from, but its worse than com8 version for rfactor 1...  and I won't be talking about accuracy of the track here... its just an eye sore really. 

I also downloaded lime rock park, spa and croft.  I tried lime rock park, and again, its really horrible.  Spa is making me cry as well.  I haven't tried croft, cause at this point, I can no longer handle it. 

I cannot imagine that people aren't seeing the potential of this engine.   It's certainly not the most eye candy engine you can have, but looking at victoria, one can do much better than these half-ass conversions.

Sorry if I seem rude or ungrateful, but this is just wrong.  It serves no purposes to have tracks like these made available, it only hurt the game.  These are probably some 10-20 years old tracks.  And they look worse than they did originally.

When rF2 picked up a bit, and tracks/cars started to show up, most of these were quick rf1 conversions, and the reaction was the same.  It doesn't do the game justice, and make it look bad to new players coming in.

I have also noticed while reading the forums that the physics are encrypted so modders cannot make cars that handles differently from the stock ones.  This is just plain bad...  Why make a simulator, if you don't release the needed infos so that modders can make good/valid content for your game? 

I'm not interested in having more cars that handles just like the 4 ones I have now. 

Victoria ain't a bad track, but it could actually be much better.  The trees are relatively bad (It looks a bit like those in City Car Driving...).  It would highly benefits from better looking trees.  The skybox is also highly pixelated.  A generated skybox like rF2 would be a very good idea.  The old school skybox should go.

But what could victoria benefits the most, is bumps and racesurface made uneven.  It's way too flat, there is only some small elevation changes and cambers, but no other relief than this.  It feels like an LFS track. 

I have been modding for rF2 and AC (and a bit of beamng) and one thing I noticed, the feedback is highly tied to the track mesh density.  The track mesh of victoria seems relatively low poly (seeing the roadlines and corners are pretty jagged)... so feedback will only be as good as the track mesh.  For instance, the laser scanned nord in AC have a track mesh consisting of roughly 35k verts.  In rF2 it drives like crap.  I needed to bump up the mesh density to 300k verts so it was driving fine in rF2.  If we can lower the filtering on the FFB in the game (WRS), then it might highly benefit more verts on the track mesh... at the moment the feedback feels highly filtered.

It doesn't feel bad but it feels bland.  I'm curious to see how WRS would handle a track like the laser scanned nordschleife.  So I think I'm gonna have a shot to bring this track to WRS.  I have watched some track threads, and it doesn't look so different from what I'm used to.

However, I won't be able to share this, so if I manage to make it right for my own use, I would likely convert the gtr evo version then and release that one publicly.

If you want to see the nord conversions I did, have a look at my youtube page here:  youtube.com/pleclair75

PiBoSo

Quote from: pleclair on May 01, 2015, 12:34:55 PM
I have also noticed while reading the forums that the physics are encrypted so modders cannot make cars that handles differently from the stock ones.  This is just plain bad...  Why make a simulator, if you don't release the needed infos so that modders can make good/valid content for your game? 

Cars modding will be open in the upcoming Beta6.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

pleclair

That's good news then :)

I have looked quite a few times at that beta6 snippet, and I'm eager to check it out!

In the meanwhile, any good looking track (on a victoria level) that you can recommend me?

pleclair

Oh and by the way, great work with your simulators. 

I might have sounded harsh on my first post, but really, even hosting these tracks in your forums hurt your games. 

I have no problem driving wrs and krp, but as I never drove any bike in my life, I'm having an hard time with gpb, but still, I won't give up until I can make a good lap with it :)

Congrats and keep up the good work. 

PS:  I believe the engine support some sort of real road right?  Is it possible to save the state of the rubber and reuse it each session?  Or save different profiles and select one before racing?

PiBoSo

Quote from: pleclair on May 01, 2015, 02:48:43 PM
PS:  I believe the engine support some sort of real road right?  Is it possible to save the state of the rubber and reuse it each session?  Or save different profiles and select one before racing?

http://forum.kartracing-pro.com/index.php?topic=1684.0
It works the same in WRS.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

pleclair

Great, thanks!

Any plans to make this an official feature in the gui, like we see in rf2, with a selector to select from multiple grooves and a button to save the groove with a custom name, with an inputbox?

Also, I tried to have a shot at converting a track for wrs, but I'm having some issue with the fbx2edf tool.  Can you check out support forum, I posted there shortly after this one, you might not have noticed it.