• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:10:49 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Textures

Started by pleclair, May 01, 2015, 12:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pleclair

Well, I was talking about the tree textures in Victoria in my other post, and I can actually help with this.

When I did my com8 conversion of nordschleife 2.2a for rF2, I bought a lot of stuff to make it better, with the donations I received. 

I bought some 4000+ trees collection (3 collections of 1000+ alpha trees each), which are all in resolution of 3500x3500 for the big trees, and a bit smaller for the little and bush style ones.

You can search for Textures4ever vol 7-8-9 to have a look at them.

I would gladly offer them to Piboso so he haves some better trees to work with.  I also subscribed for a month to gametextures.com (developer sub), and got many textures from there as well.  These are pretty good textures, and again, I would be glad to share them with Piboso.

I'm sure that he's working on a very tight budget, so if that can help, I'd be glad to offer them to you Piboso.

I have all receipts for these textures and I could show it to you so you don't think they are pirated textures.  They are all legal, and can be used for profits as well.  But I never used them to make money myself.

So if you are still actively working on your simulators, let me know if you are interested by my proposition.  I would ask of course nothing in return, maybe some credits if you wish.

HornetMaX

Extremely generous offer pleclair !

There are a bunch of modders that can create very good tracks, if your offer stands for them too, you may want to post in the GP Bikes / Tracks section (tracks for GPB and WRS are mostly identical).

Hope you join the GPB/WRS modders community !

MaX.

pleclair

Well, I wouldn't mind.  If they can be put to good use, for this (these) games, then I don't mind.

I would hate to see these get out of the game.  I just don't want them to be in the wild and get used in other games.  Most other games have more than enough resources already and modding for rF2 or AC is easy since you already have a bunch of stock textures to work with.  And most of their talented modders have their resources anyway.

The problem is, I don't have a very good upload speed, being capped at 100kb/s.  So getting them online will take time.  I thought of BTSync, but since I won't be able to seed forever, it might not be that good of a solution.

I will likely upload them to mega and share the folder with the interested modders here.  I don't want them to be available to anyone that browse the forum.

I just started to upload textures4ever vol 7.  I'll create a thread in due time.  So I guess that gpbike forums is more active if you mentioned this?

HornetMaX

What sizes are we talking about ? Could be easier to burn a dvd and mail it to a guy with fibre :)

Yeah, GPB is more active, at least comparing to WRS: WRS is veeeeery veeeery quiet, borderline dead (in terms of forum/online activity).

Track modders: Hawk_UK + the french connection (Noss, JC, RiccoChicco). Very nice tracks from them (have a look at Suzuka for example).
As far as I know, they are all grown up and really not the kind of guys that would stab you in the back if you ask them not to distribute the textures and use them only for GPB/WRS.

MaX.

pleclair

Well, at the very present time, I have no burner.  It's been dead for a few years already, and never seen the need to replace it.  I can install windows from USB so that didn't bothered me.  And I'm the kind of guy that prefer to keep stuff on harddrives, cause anyway, they last longer than dvds (unless you are very careful with them, and always put them back where you store them...  I'm not that kind of guy :)

As for the size, hmmm, it's quite big actually.. probably in the 60-70gb range, maybe a tad more.

So even with dvds, it would still requires a good bunch, and not the best solution either. 

I think it would take roughly 1 week or so per collection of trees to get online.  But I don't mind really, at least I have no bandwidth cap.  Plus, I wanted to do this for a while, since I have no backup and I wouldn't want to lose them either in a hdd crash.

HornetMaX

Other alternative: buy a cheapo ssd, write on it and mail :)

MaX.

pleclair

Unfortunately, I don't even have a SSD to start with.  We have a rather tight budget, and even tho we had tax return, it's not enough to spend on something like this.  It was almost foolish to buy myself some games, but I can't help it..  it's mainly my main hobby, so it's still a very cheap hobby compared to some others :)

Spending 15-20$ or even 30-40$ on a game, which you play for hundreds of hours in most cases, sometime quite some more, so it's cheap :)

It will take some time to get online, but I will also have a backup, so I don't mind.  I'll share the link to the folder when I have at least 1 collection in.

HornetMaX

I'm sure it will be very appreciated by the modders and by us all. Thank s a lot man !
Not even 10 posts and already a valuable contribution: it must be a record !

MaX.

pleclair

May 02, 2015, 12:21:37 PM #8 Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:30:51 PM by pleclair

Seems like my ISP have opened up the bandwidth a bit, I've seen upload speed up to 130kb/s :)  Not too shabby!

I got about 1/3 of vol7 online at the moment.  A little more than 400 trees to go.  I'm uploading them unrar'ed so you will be able to see a thumbnail of each and click to see a preview, if you wish to get them separately.  Mega provides a way to download a folder as a zip.  Plus compressing already compressed stuff don't result in much saving anyway. 

EDIT:  A little preview you can see here:

http://www.evermotion.org/files/pdf/textures4ever_vol_7.pdf
http://www.evermotion.org/files/pdf/textures4ever_vol_8.pdf
http://www.evermotion.org/files/pdf/textures4ever_vol_9.pdf

And to clear up any doubts:

Hello Pierre-André Leclair

Thank You for buying our products. Here is Your order summary (tax included):

Order id: XXXXX
Please remember this number and use it in correspondence concerning this order.

Product: Textures4ever vol. 7, Quantity: 1, Total price: 48.00 EUR
Product: Textures4ever vol. 8, Quantity: 1, Total price: 48.00 EUR
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Products cost: 96.00 EUR
Delivery cost: 0.00 EUR
Total order cost: 96.00 EUR

Hello Pierre-André Leclair

Thank You for buying our products. Here is Your order summary (tax included):

Order id: XXXXX
Please remember this number and use it in correspondence concerning this order.

Product: Textures4ever vol. 9, Quantity: 1, Total price: 59.00 EUR
Products cost: 59.00 EUR
Delivery cost: 0.00 EUR
Total order cost: 59.00 EUR

:) 

Most of them will likely need to be edited to fit in the game, since they will likely be too saturated, or bright.  So you will need to edit their brightness and saturation.  At least, I needed to for the rF2 engine which support 24h cycle and hdr.

Hawk

Hi pleclair.

I've been reading your thread here and find it very interesting: Your offer is a welcome and very generous one and I would certainly be interested in having a copy of these textures if at all possible?

I'm currently in the process of scratch building the 2014 Assen TT circuit in my spare time; also plan to do the Classic early 1980's version of the circuit too.
These textures would not only save a mass of time, but also the quality from what I can see in the PDF docs is excellent!  ;D
Have you any terrain textures? Particularly grasses, track edges and track surface textures? Always handy to have a variety of those in library.  ;)

I would recommend MEGA as your online store. They give you 50GB of storage space with a free account. Others like Dropbox and mediafire are good for smaller storage space limits on free accounts too.

I also have a copy of the 2012 GPB track tool kit, which also includes the 3DSmax 2012 edfexporter plugins which I'm sure you'll want to give a try-out and see if you can work around any problems the exporter may have?

GPB track tool kit(2012 version): https://mega.co.nz/#!nVtniRzR!9rpQ2k_lfnw5Olkb7Fm9CMhtyBMr3hkd1xJgr7CuEo0

Welcome aboard mate!  ;D 8)

Hawk.

pleclair

May 02, 2015, 02:20:59 PM #10 Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 02:22:47 PM by pleclair
Sure, anyone who's making stuff for Piboso's sims are welcomed to have them. 

If you want to use them for other sims, let me know, and we'll see :)

As for other textures, when I subbed to gametextures.com, I went for a dev sub to get access to 2k textures and to be able to request some. 

So I have many ground textures. Forest, soil, grass, ground, sand, rocks, snow, as I wanted to make a winter version of the nordschleife, and vol9 of the trees have season trees, fall and winter.

I also picked up anything that was good for a race track, so I got some fences, guardrails, curbs, concrete, roofs, etc...  been able to download quite a bit since it was unlimited for a month.

All these are 2kx2k and comes with all the maps needed to make them shine.  So you have spec, normal (+/-), gloss, height, ao, etc... not all textures needs all these maps, but those who do, comes with them. 

And usually, they make sure their textures goes well with each others, so tarmac and grass textures blends really well with each others.

EDIT: And the normal maps that comes with the textures are insane.  As the textures are modelled, you have proper normal maps for fences and 3d grass and so on.  It really makes a difference from a photo normal map :)

Hawk

I'm only planning on using your textures for GPB, but if I ever plan to use them for anything else I will for sure ask your permission first.... I will also naturally give you credit for them in any MOD I create too.  ;)

That was one thing I was going to ask: Whether the textures were created seamless to blend really well together, saves a lot of work, so yeah, that sounds great too! Also that they come with all the Normal/Spec/ AO maps is a big bonus! I absolutely agree with you that the normal maps do bring objects to life, and in a very efficient way.  :)

I personally use Maya, and export via FBX format into 3ds Max 2010 to be able to use the EDF exporter plugin to get my work into GPB. That's a pain in ass to have to do that, especially as the scale is often changed by a factor of +/-100 when I import a 3ds or fbx file created by 3ds Max into Maya for some reason(so like yourself I'm desperately awaiting the fix to the FBX2EDF exporter so I can bin 3ds Max altogether from the pipeline).
But up till now I have just been updating some currently available converted tracks for GPB, completely re-modelling the actual track surfaces from scratch to work better with GPB, as most were in a pretty bad state and causing bike instabilities. I've not gone to town on them as far as textures were concerned simply because the priority was to have as many tracks as possible that are very rideable for the bikes, and now, together with Noss69's "NC" track versions, RiccoChicco, and janaucarre's  work, I think we have a good few tracks that ride very well.

But I find working with converted tracks a pain in the ass because the meshes are in a terrible state(probably due to the original ripping process?), and to be honest, if I was to want to do any texture work on them it would be better for me to just rebuild the tracks completely from scratch in my opinion. I'm really not a big fan of conversions at all, except that I do understand that they provide a quick way of getting tracks into the system so users have a good variety of tracks to choose from.

What do you find is the best techniques and/or ways to get the track surface elevations as accurate as possible to the original circuits? Often freely available map data just isn't of high enough resolution(google maps for example is very bad), and other free elevation data sources are limited in resolution unless one is willing to pay good money for them. Just wondering if by any chance you know of a website that allows free download of good accurate(high resolution) terrain map elevation data? I know America makes available a lot of good terrain elevation data for free, but seems other countries are very reluctant to make this sort of data available for free.  :(

From what you've said in previous posts above, it's going take a while to upload all textures in the volumes that you have..... There is no rush for me, but just to say that if you prefer not to post a download link publicly in the forum, you can always send me a download link via this forums personal message system(PM).  ;)

Thank you for the permissions.... Great contribution.... Very much appreciated indeed!  ;) 8)

Hawk.

pleclair

Quote from: Hawk UK on May 02, 2015, 04:14:45 PM
I'm only planning on using your textures for GPB, but if I ever plan to use them for anything else I will for sure ask your permission first.... I will also naturally give you credit for them in any MOD I create too.  ;)

That was one thing I was going to ask: Whether the textures were created seamless to blend really well together, saves a lot of work, so yeah, that sounds great too! Also that they come with all the Normal/Spec/ AO maps is a big bonus! I absolutely agree with you that the normal maps do bring objects to life, and in a very efficient way.  :)

I personally use Maya, and export via FBX format into 3ds Max 2010 to be able to use the EDF exporter plugin to get my work into GPB. That's a pain in ass to have to do that, especially as the scale is often changed by a factor of +/-100 when I import a 3ds or fbx file created by 3ds Max into Maya for some reason(so like yourself I'm desperately awaiting the fix to the FBX2EDF exporter so I can bin 3ds Max altogether from the pipeline).
But up till now I have just been updating some currently available converted tracks for GPB, completely re-modelling the actual track surfaces from scratch to work better with GPB, as most were in a pretty bad state and causing bike instabilities. I've not gone to town on them as far as textures were concerned simply because the priority was to have as many tracks as possible that are very rideable for the bikes, and now, together with Noss69's "NC" track versions, RiccoChicco, and janaucarre's  work, I think we have a good few tracks that ride very well.

But I find working with converted tracks a pain in the ass because the meshes are in a terrible state(probably due to the original ripping process?), and to be honest, if I was to want to do any texture work on them it would be better for me to just rebuild the tracks completely from scratch in my opinion. I'm really not a big fan of conversions at all, except that I do understand that they provide a quick way of getting tracks into the system so users have a good variety of tracks to choose from.

What do you find is the best techniques and/or ways to get the track surface elevations as accurate as possible to the original circuits? Often freely available map data just isn't of high enough resolution(google maps for example is very bad), and other free elevation data sources are limited in resolution unless one is willing to pay good money for them. Just wondering if by any chance you know of a website that allows free download of good accurate(high resolution) terrain map elevation data? I know America makes available a lot of good terrain elevation data for free, but seems other countries are very reluctant to make this sort of data available for free.  :(

From what you've said in previous posts above, it's going take a while to upload all textures in the volumes that you have..... There is no rush for me, but just to say that if you prefer not to post a download link publicly in the forum, you can always send me a download link via this forums personal message system(PM).  ;)

Thank you for the permissions.... Great contribution.... Very much appreciated indeed!  ;) 8)

Hawk.

I have never tried Maya.  To be honest, I don't consider myself a modder.  I have started to learn 3dsmax about 3 years ago, to bring the com8 nordschleife for rfactor 1, to rfactor 2.  At the time, GMT was supposed to bring the gtr evo version, but when they sent the sneek peek video to youtube and on isi's forum, simbin told them to stop it and you are probably aware of the story.

I was really eager to drive the nordschleife in rF2, and really deceived by the news, so I started to convert what was freely available myself.

The mesh, as you say, was in a pityful state.  I spent more than 1 year on it and did a pretty good job.  Then I got up to a point where there wasn't much to do, and someone was telling me AC was getting their own com8 conversion, and after looking at it, I tried to convert my rf2 version, but since AC wasn't able to deal with billboard trees, so I didn't wanted to convert the gigantic forest I had done... so I converted the gtr evo version for AC. 

SimBin was okay for a while, since I was giving it only to those who were sending me proof they own it on steam (a screenshot of their library), but as it picked up popularity, they asked me to stop.  So I did..

I then started to convert it to beamng, but kunos released the laser scanned version, and after playing it for an intense week in AC, I noticed the AI wasn't really in my league... the fast path of the track is not very good, so they are slow in many places around the track, you cannot bumper race at all with them, you never know when they slam the brakes...  of course, after a while you get to know where they fail, but its no fun...

rF2 have a much better AI, the best that I've found actually.  So I just converted the laser scanned version for rF2 (for my personal use) and its awesome :) I have managed to create a fast path that is even better than what I can do at AI 100%, so its a real challenge now!  I'll have to train some more in order to beat the AI again.

So for about 3 years, the only track I have raced pretty much is the nordschleife.  I just love this track, it has everything in it, there is no need to drive anywhere else for me :)  The track itself is a scenic sight, and I dunno, even after putting that much time into it, I can still improve myself.  Still a challenge to drive with some cars.  I recently found myself able to drive the rF2 howstons on it, and it was a pretty good feeling.  Did a 7m30 with them.

As we got our tax return recently, I was able to buy a few more sims I wanted to have, which included wrs (gpb), and krp, as well as dirt: rally and game stockcar extreme.  I don't believe dirt will be moddable, but all others are :)  Can't wait to drive game stockcar on the nord too!  I'm also in the process of trying to convert it to rF1, since there is still many good cars mods, and the game is still pretty decent in itself.

I wish I go could sometimes in Germany and test out my knowledge of the track, cause I'm sure I would be able to set a pretty good time on it as well :)

After my gtr evo conversion for AC, I did try to create a scratch made nord... and I got a rather accurate lofted track mesh. GTR evo is rather accurate, like 99%, except the more defined bumps, but all cambers, elevations, and corners are pretty solid.  And I based my spline on it, and did the camber so the track was fitting well with the gtr evo mesh under.  I drove that mesh, and it's really good too.

Driving the laser scanned after driving gtr evo in AC for more than 6 months, the most evident difference is brunnchen, the second corner.

I also have the terrain from google earth's data in max, of all the surrounding area, but I dunno how to do the inside part, the more defined hills and stuff nearby track, that isn't high resolution enough on google earth, so the only way I could think of doing this is by conforming the loft around track to the gtr evo mesh.  That would require some manual work here and there probably, but would likely work.  But I dunno, there must be some other ways.

I also have the curbs done and guardrails.  They are in 3d too.

So I cannot really answer your question about elevation data, as the only track I have worked on is the nordschleife.

I'm happy to have found this community, cause I'm sure you guys will probably be able to do a lot more with them then I will be able to.  So everyone benefits in the end, including me :) 

The first volume is 77% done :)  So, tomorrow I will send you, as well as Piboso, Noss69, RiccoChicco, janaucarre and hornetmax the link to the mega folder.  I will likely need to create a second mega account to have everything online.  So I will try to not have to split 1 collection, except maybe gametextures's.

Vol7 textures are 3000x3000 for the larger trees, and 1000x1000 I believe for the small bushes.  but the vol8-9 are 3500x3500 and 1500x1500 I believe, so the size is quite bigger.

The collection is interesting, cause for each kind of trees, you often have multiple different trees, but also, they comes facing different ways and/or lighted different ways. 

So if you want to create a forest of pine trees for example, you should have no problem creating one that will have enough variety to not notice the same tree twice in a single screen :)

PS:  If you guys ever have some spare time, maybe we could team up and finish the scratch made nord I started :)

pleclair

But as much as driving it on rF2 is fun, I'm still very curious to drive this same mesh in other sims, to see how they cope with the elevation changes, high curbs, crests, bumps, jumps  and so on :)  And that also give me more cars to drive on it as well :)

I would highly like to drive a bike in gpb (once i get used to it, I can barely make a lap without heading outside the track, or crashing yet) on the laser nord.  I think it would be awesome :)  It's also a very nice track for bikes I think!  Not many tight hairpins, a good flow all around, should be really fun!

Klax75

When you get a GP-Bikes version playable I'd like to give it a try. I've done hundreds of laps in all bike classes on Nordschleife. Was one of the main tracks I'd use to practice DST, since it has almost every kind of turn.