• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:33:09 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

[GPBikes] settings fork

Started by janaucarre, May 05, 2015, 05:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Thanks Edouard !

So it seems we're indeed missing something in GPB, the possibility of changing the front offset in the garage.

Knowing it affects directly the trail, it could be very interesting. Today we change the trail changing the rake, but this has other side effects.

Also, it will facilitate the life of the modders (as they will be able to play with this setting in-game instead of changing it in the .geom).

I'm less sure about the need of being able to slide he fork tubes up/down in the clamp, but if we go for that it is maybe worth to consider another setting that is often available: the rear height (changing the length of the rear suspension links).

MaX.

P.S.
For the translation: changing the steering (axis) angle was possible thanks to inserts in the steering column (where bearings were installed). In principle this could change the position of the steering axis too, but it wasn't used for that, the goal was to change the angle. Anyway, there's little interest in changing the position of the steering column (added by MaX: because this would essentially alter only the wheelbase, thing that can be done in an easier manner at the rear swingarm).

BOBR6 84

Good stuff! It says in the description that gpbikes accurately simulates setup options... So all this needs to be added  ;D ;D

EdouardB

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 11, 2015, 09:41:57 AMAnyway, there's little interest in changing the position of the steering column (added by MaX: because this would essentially alter only the wheelbase, thing that can be done in an easier manner at the rear swingarm).
It would change the wheelbase but it would also change the Front/Rear weight repartition differently than by altering the rear (removing weight from the front instead of adding some).
However it is still pretty pointless because on a GP bikes there are several (and simpler) ways to change Front/rear repartition and usually, after 1985 of so, the engines were pushed forward as much as physically possible (even on recent Ducati MotoGP bikes we've seen cutouts in the radiator to place the cylinders through it to move it forward as much as possible).

HornetMaX

Quote from: EdouardB on May 11, 2015, 10:09:36 AM
Quote from: HornetMaX on May 11, 2015, 09:41:57 AMAnyway, there's little interest in changing the position of the steering column (added by MaX: because this would essentially alter only the wheelbase, thing that can be done in an easier manner at the rear swingarm).
It would change the wheelbase but it would also change the Front/Rear weight repartition differently than by altering the rear (removing weight from the front instead of adding some).
Well, if you shorten the swingarm length, you remove weight from the front, so (in principle) you can do both (add/remove weight to the front) with the swingarm.

But I agree on the pointless-ity of it :)

Ducati stuff: didn't they suffer from issues of front tire rubbing against the radiator under heavy breaking a while ago ? I think I remember a crash due to that. They probably pushed it that tiny bit too forward :)

MaX.

EdouardB

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 11, 2015, 10:43:24 AM
Well, if you shorten the swingarm length, you remove weight from the front, so (in principle) you can do both (add/remove weight to the front) with the swingarm.

Sure but if you do it with the swingarm you can't lengthen the wheelbase AND remove weight from the front at the same time. That's what I meant.

HornetMaX

Quote from: EdouardB on May 11, 2015, 10:46:24 AM
Quote from: HornetMaX on May 11, 2015, 10:43:24 AM

Sure but if you do it with the swingarm you can't lengthen the wheelbase AND remove weight from the front at the same time. That's what I meant.
Ah OK, clear now , thx !!

MaX.

EdouardB

And yes Ducati did have problems with the front tyre and the radiator. Solved with the GP15.
About Ducati, Tech3's technical guru Guy Coulon was at an event at the Paul Ricard recently (that I was riding at) and I heard him (in a private discussion) say that in his opinion the problem with Ducati is that until the GP14 they were designing an engine first and then try to build a chassis around it instead of doing like Yamaha and Honda who build the whole bike together with compromises on the engines to make a better chassis and better overall bike.
For the GP15 Ducati and Gigi dall igna conceived the bike as a whole and finally it's a good bike...