• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

[GPBikes] settings fork

Started by janaucarre, May 05, 2015, 05:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janaucarre

May 05, 2015, 05:45:37 PM Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:10:01 PM by janaucarre
Hi,
today i watched qualif and free practices of last weekend and they were talking about the different parts can be changed on bike.
A part that can be very interesting for gpbikes is the possibility to move the fork forward or backwards, from my memory they can move it from max to min with 16mm(i can find the right measure).
i think about that because ricco chicco said me he changed this value, just a little, and the bikes became very better to ride.
Thank you.

Hawk

Quote from: janaucarre on May 05, 2015, 05:45:37 PM
Hi,
today i watched qualif and free practices of last weekend and they were talking about the different parts can be changed on bike.
A part that can be very interesting for gpbikes is the possibility to move the fork forward or backwards, from my memory they can move it from max to min with 16mm(i can find the right measure).
i think about that because ricco chicco said me he changed this value, just a little, and the bikes became very better to ride.
Thank you.

Sounds interesting....... I'm presuming this isn't the "Rake" angle your talking about here?

Nice to see you back here Janau!  ;D

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Move the fork forward/backward ?  :o

I've never heard of this: only tweaks close to that that I know of are the rake and the fact you can slide the fork up/down in the triple clamps (not sure this last thing is used a lot though).

MaX.

janaucarre

You're right, i'm not talking about rake angle.
Max i'll sent you the video where a man from ducati explain this(in french), as soon as possible by pm.

Warlock

Triple clamps with different distances from pivot to forks position could do this.
I mean , not slides but different triple clamps sets. It will modify distance between wheel centers also (if same rake angle is kept)

Yohji

so... it's mean fork offset?

also I heared somtimes racing bikes can changing it in garage.(GPB not do it yet)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Warlock on May 05, 2015, 11:01:29 PM
Triple clamps with different distances from pivot to forks position could do this.
I mean , not slides but different triple clamps sets. It will modify distance between wheel centers also (if same rake angle is kept)
Hmm, that's not equivalent to what jannaucarre seems to be saying: he says they can move the steering axis fwd/back, what you can do with the triple clamps is alter the fork offset. It's very different.

MaX.

janaucarre

Warlock

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 06, 2015, 07:26:18 AM
Hmm, that's not equivalent to what jannaucarre seems to be saying: he says they can move the steering axis fwd/back, what you can do with the triple clamps is alter the fork offset. It's very different.

MaX.

Move the axis?   wow  :o

janaucarre

HornetMaX

Quote from: Warlock on May 06, 2015, 01:04:53 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on May 06, 2015, 07:26:18 AM

MaX.

Move the axis?   wow  :o
Yeah, that's what I think too. I don't really see how this is doable without some serious complication in a critical part of the chassis.

MaX.

Warlock

Indeed, that would be an engineering master piece

BOBR6 84

I think there actually is a piece of kit that gives you some adjustment! Dont know much about it though..

In my world I slide the forks through the yoke by about 10mm lol

HornetMaX

Hmmm ... have been looking around and I've found some adjustable triple clamps. Examples:

http://nuovafaor.it/en/sez-parti-moto/1/piastre-regolabili.htm
http://www.xtrig.com/en/Products/Triple-Clamp.html

The explanations/drawings are a bit scarce, but I think it's just an offset adjustment (which indeed we do not have in GPB).

Sort of a confirmation:

https://www.youtube.com/v/1RG0TUul9Jo

Maybe it makes sense to have this in GPB: some bikes will have both rake and offset adjustable, some just offset, some nothing at all.

MaX.

EdouardB

I can only talk about factory 500 bikes here but the possible adjustments concerning the front end were:

- Changing the rake angle
- Changing the offset (by changing the triple clamps)
- Moving the fork tubes up and down in the clamps of course.

The axis of the steering column could not be changed, but the steering angle was changed by a system within the steering column that I can't explain in english (Il y avait des cales dans la colonne correspondant aux différents angles, on peut monter les roulements dedans... En théorie on pourrait peut-être bouger un peu l'axe de colonne comme ça mais le but du réglage était l'angle de la colonne. Il y a de toute façon très peu d'intérêt à avancer la colonne). Hornet can maybe translate :P