• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:52:29 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Opensource headtracker using mems gyros

Started by h106frp, May 25, 2015, 11:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 24, 2015, 08:34:32 AM
Quote from: h106frp on June 23, 2015, 05:02:45 PM
Maximum head rotation with openlook seems to be about +-100 degrees, i guess this is because anything more would not be possible with optical tracking, hopefully we will be able to do 'over the shoulder' with native support  8)

Hmm weird, I seem to recall being able to look almost all the way back ... I'll have a look.

MaX.

I tried adjusting the curves in openlook but i could not increase the rotation in game past +-100 degrees. You can cause the curve to arc over above 100% but this seems to give unstable values in game. I guessed its because the input mapping is generic joystick rather than customized to edtracker and the output mapping is ranged to emulated values of freetrack which has no rear look.

@DD that's great, look forward to seeing the results.

doubledragoncc

Im having a 3D printing design day lol so will try later if I dont start riding in GTA again, its a blast with bars lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on June 24, 2015, 09:39:43 AM
Quote from: HornetMaX on June 24, 2015, 08:34:32 AM
Quote from: h106frp on June 23, 2015, 05:02:45 PM
Maximum head rotation with openlook seems to be about +-100 degrees, i guess this is because anything more would not be possible with optical tracking, hopefully we will be able to do 'over the shoulder' with native support  8)

Hmm weird, I seem to recall being able to look almost all the way back ... I'll have a look.

MaX.

I tried adjusting the curves in openlook but i could not increase the rotation in game past +-100 degrees. You can cause the curve to arc over above 100% but this seems to give unstable values in game. I guessed its because the input mapping is generic joystick rather than customized to edtracker and the output mapping is ranged to emulated values of freetrack which has no rear look.

Works for me in opentrack (using tracking via webcam): if I tweak the curves I can look behind me simply rotating my head.
Actually the virtual head rotates exactly as opentracks says (so you can reach unnatural postures).

In the "mapping" section you have to have (for example, on yaw axis for look left/right) the points(in X-Y coords: (0,0), (30,180), (180,180).

GPB + Opentrack for the win :)

MaX.

h106frp

I will have another look at my config, maybe i have not fully understood the opentrack mapping options.

Thanks  :)

doubledragoncc

Ok,I tried the direct stl no edit and used supports. Heres a few pics. It took about 2 hours to print both bits but I use a slow speed to keep quality of builds better. I dont have the parts to try in it, so cant tell you if they fit, sorry. Will have to send you it H to test, its free lol.

Heres a pic of the MTE body and gears and the rear brake gears, thought you might like to see how the come off the printer no clean up.

The Edtraker box is about 50p in ABS but costs electric too and clean up and me making sure its okay lol. My electric bill tripled since I got into 3D printing!!!So £1.00 for my troubles is fair I think plus postage lol

DD

GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

That is utterly brilliant  8)

The surface finish is exceptional looks very 'race component'; that's a quality set up you have there and it will be a pleasure to upgrade my tracker with a bit of custom GPB kit.

I can send an SAE if you PM me a contact and i will slip in a few beer tokens as well as the costs  :)

Thanks for taking the trouble to try this out.

h106frp

Got back from my trip to find a package with DD's EDtracker 3D print housings contained inside. The printed quality is exceptional and it is hard to believe they are not produced using more conventional machining methods. Board fit is great and mounting is very much simplified with the band clips.

Thanks DD great piece of kit  :)

Board is a much better (tighter) fit than with the standard Hammond box enclosure. The 3D print has all the internal board supports and does not need any screws to retain the circuit boards.

Easier mounting option with rubber bands and the printed clips.

h106frp

Looks neat, i think the wireless version planed for later in the year might be going on my Christmas prezzie list  :)

HornetMaX

Ordered the Pro yesterday: unusual purchase process (I was aware), but worked sfitly: confirmation mail after purchase from the site, 1h later new mail requesting payment (paypal), 1h after notification of shipment being prepared.

Notice: the PRO version is NOT open source. Not a biggie for me.

MaX.

h106frp

I think you will like using it.  I suppose the loss of opensource was inevitable at some point but when a hobby develops into a business you have to ensure it is at least self funding and balances the time you invest in it. Still sensibly priced though for a device that performs so well.

Currently have mine fitted to a baseball cap peak as its too hot to be wearing headphones but i switched back to 'normal' look to corner for a couple of evenings while i was finding a suitable cap and really missed the head tracking.

I have found that i am much quicker with the tracking especially hairpins and slow corners which feel much more natural when your looking up the track towards the turn exit rather than being focused on the apex. It really works best when you forget your using it and let your view and riding line flow in a real life natural style.

Takes a while (couple of evenings) to shift into a normal real life riding style where you look up the track to whats coming next on the horizon rather than game style of looking down over the fairing, you might find you turn in too much on the apex of sweeping turns at first while you make the switch  ;).

HornetMaX

Did you try it as input device ? I.e. do control something like rider lean or even bike lean ?

MaX.

h106frp

No, not yet. I think DD has plans to use it for body movement capture.

It should work perfectly as i have had no issues with tracking during hours of gameplay. Only thing to watch for is magnetometer bias, if the output seems to have got a bit 'jumpy' it is this bias value that is calculated each time it is powered up. Just need to keep it fixed for about 20 seconds during initial power up (plug in) or use the bias cal routine from the host program. Normally expect the tracking to be super smooth.

h106frp

Just had a couple of hours with B7 and head tracking.

With the improved turn rate of the bike head tracking without any bike reference point i.e. when looking across low speed corners is now excellent  :) the bike just naturally seems to go where you expect it to be during the turn.

Looking forward to B7 update with horizon tilt and head tracking 8)

Jokerman

I've been a TrackIR user ever since my freetrack got replaced one Christmas .....
The edTracker will soon become my GP-Bikes solution ......

thanks for the info

S!