• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 08:07:14 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Track IR5 Support Please Piboso.

Started by Hawk, May 26, 2015, 12:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

May 26, 2015, 09:43:58 PM #15 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:47:07 PM by h106frp
I have not tried optical tracking for years, but it always worked without any special drivers. In the GPB alphas you just used mouse look mode, but i see it has a proper freelook options tab in GPB now.

I'm sure i have read that a few people are currently using it, hopefully they will comment on set-up issues.

I found i struggled keeping my head in the camera view and ended up with a stiff neck after a while, that's mainly why the gyro option seems worth exploring to me.

Possibly some setup help;
https://edtracker.org.uk/index.php/using/opentrack

Napalm Nick

When I was trying to set up my TrackIR for GpB I'm sure I found a thread explaining about the Freelook settings and TrackIR via Mouse look.

Blowed if I can find it now.....Hang on Klax is back I think it had sommat to do with him!
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

I'll create another thread, I see strange things.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Ah yes it was adventures with TrackIR. Could of sworn I read about  the Freelook settings somewhere but canna find em now. Odd.

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 26, 2015, 09:50:51 PM
I'll create another thread, I see strange things.

MaX.

Oh eck aliens?
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

Napalm Nick

H please confirm - you are using Freetrack there right?

h106frp

May 26, 2015, 10:07:58 PM #21 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:10:45 PM by h106frp
Not me, just grabbed off you-tube :-[ claims to be freetrack and the last few seconds of the clip he looks around the pits OK.

Im going to wait for my EDtrack bits before experimenting, my old PS3 eyecam and other bits i used for optical tracking are all up in the attic somewhere  :(

Napalm Nick

I see. Well it works good. The question must be why the heck aint people using it?

Though I can guess its cos most people play in arcade 3rd person mode  ::)

That reminds me Max -  you did try it in onboard yeh?

h106frp

A proper TrackIR might be better but i always found the problem of staying in the fixed camera view a pain in the neck (literally). You were constantly fiddling with the camera position and if you move your body position a bit you had to re-adjust the camera.

Great technology (brilliant in flight sims) but i think the inertial tracking will be much more comfortable to use so maybe more people will adopt it in the future.

HornetMaX

My point was simply to see if opentrack and GPB goes along well (via freetrack).
To check that you don't need any specific hardware: use a joypad or a webcam as input, freetrack as output and it should work.

But it doesn't (at least for me). And yeah, I'm not 100% senile yet (but it's approaching fast): I tried it with onboard view (mouselook works fine with the mouse).

MaX.

CapeDoctor

just jumping in here to add my two cents - i also have a trackIR 5 setup, for my flight sims, and one of the questions on my list was concerning why i couldn't get it to work with GPB, especially considering the options seem available in the settings.
Guess this thread answered that question for me, lol.
possibly (probably) i've got the cat by the tail here, but i am curious as to an earlier comment by h106frp, quote: ' ...i think the inertial tracking will be much more comfortable to use so maybe more people will adopt it in the future'
is this explained in more detail anywhere, or would someone mind giving a quick run-down on what the inertial tracking is, how it works?
thanks in advance for any assist :D
C Doc

HornetMaX

May 29, 2015, 07:34:23 AM #26 Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:41:53 AM by HornetMaX
Short version: inertial tracking = no camera (std or infrared) needed, no markers on your head (leds, dots, ...). But you still have to strap a small device to your head.

Slightly longer version: inertial tracking = use gyrometers and accelerometers + something to reduce drift of these sensors (foe EDTracker, that's what the magnetometer does).

TrackIR is 6dof (3 rotations, 3 translations), EDTracker is only 3dof (3 rotations): for some it may matter, for most it won't.

MaX.

P.S.
To be honest, GPB is not very explicit in his freelook settings ... it's not very clear what it supports (and what it does not support): is "Tracking" = FreeTrack ? What does "Head tracking" correspond to ?

CapeDoctor

thanks for the quick reply, MaX -  much appreciated, mate :D