• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:51:45 AM

3D Vision?

Started by h106frp, June 22, 2015, 09:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Has anyone tried Nvidia 3D vision 1 or 2 with GPB?, was it worth bothering with? Does it even work or is is just a directX thing?

Now I have a high refresh monitor i could run the 3D vision (glasses) system, just wondered if anybody had any experience with it.

Thanks

Vini

Nope, but playing GP Bikes at 120 fps is also a nice experience.

HornetMaX

Confirmed. I'd never go back to a 60Hz display. Just no. But I could go forward to freesync (not that GPB really needs it).

MaX.

Vini

Is freesync something similar to G-Sync? I really want to try this new technology, playing any game without tearing (even when the framerate varies or goes under 60 fps) just sounds unbelievable.
But, as you said, not needed for less demanding games like GP Bikes.

BTW, I am using the BenQ XL2411T with the nvidia 2D lightboost hack. It basically removes all motion blur by using the strobe backlight of the monitor, creating a 120 Hz CRT-image.
Even though it's designed for fast first person shooters, I feel like it also gives some advantages with racing games.

h106frp

Quote from: vin97 on June 22, 2015, 01:00:07 PM
Nope, but playing GP Bikes at 120 fps is also a nice experience.

or even 144  ;)

Must admit i was skeptical when i bought it that it would be much better than my old Samsung, but the difference in picture quality was noticeable straight away.

In games with modern cards capable of generating very high frame (variable) rates you do notice how much better it is without the v-sync issues.

Well pleased with it and not too pricey (got the iiyama)  :)

Just curious if 3D Vision would give a sense of depth (distance) for a racing game. If i knew it would work with GPB i would be tempted to keep an eye out for a deal on the 3D Vision 2 kit.

Just curious as it seems all you need is 120Hz monitor and they are becoming common now  :)

h106frp

Quote from: vin97 on June 22, 2015, 01:38:01 PM
Is freesync something similar to G-Sync? I really want to try this new technology, playing any game without tearing (even when the framerate varies or goes under 60 fps) just sounds unbelievable.

BTW, I am using the BenQ XL2411T with the nvidia 2D lightboost hack. It basically removes all motion blur by using the strobe backlight of the monitor, creating a 120 Hz CRT-image.
Even though it's designed for fast first person shooters, I feel like it also gives some advantages with racing games.

Freesync - Its an AMD led version of the same concept.

Still  a big price premium  :(
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=17&catid=948

HornetMaX

Free-sync is the same as G-sync, except: 1 it comes from AMD, 2 is open standard (G-sync is Nvidia property).
G-sync displays currently carry a hefty price increase: it is expected that free-sync displays won't do that (or less).

There are some technical differences between the two but they don't seem major. Tom's hardware (US) is inviting 50 gamers to blind-test the two just to compare.

Advantage I don't know, but definitely it is more comfortable and pleasing to look at.
When I now watch a 60fps action my eyes start bleeding after the 4th second.

(I have an Asus VG236HE: 4 years old, paid 310Euros on amazon)

MaX.

HornetMaX

BTW, the lightboost stuff is unrelated to G-sync or free-sync, it's something else.

G-sync and free-sync are essentially "variable refresh frequencies".

MaX.

Vini

June 22, 2015, 01:54:24 PM #8 Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:59:39 PM by vin97
yes

Lightboost definitely has some advantages because you can react faster and see more details even at fast movements.
A Lightboost monitor at 120 Hz easily beats 144 Hz non-lightboost monitors in terms of smoothness and motion blur.
I tested it with my monitor and the difference is clearly noticable.

h106frp

Weird one;
Freesync at 60Hz  ??? What gives?

But less than £300!

Love the super widescreen though 8)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-128-LG&groupid=17&catid=948

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on June 22, 2015, 01:54:24 PM
Lightboost definitely has some advantages because you can react faster and see more details even at fast movements.
A Lightboost monitor at 120 Hz easily beats 144 Hz non-lightboost monitors in terms of smoothness and motion blur.
I tested it with my monitor and the difference is clearly noticable.
Don't know, unless extreme cases (very bad motion blur), I've never been too bothered by this motion blur stuff (and the graph is misleading).
Get a decent 120/144Hz with honest response time. Once you have that, I'd take better color accuracy over any motion blur stuff.

Quote from: h106frp on June 22, 2015, 02:12:44 PM
Weird one;
Freesync at 60Hz  ??? What gives?

But less than £300!

Love the super widescreen though 8)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-128-LG&groupid=17&catid=948
Hmm ... unless you really like the format (careful here, it may backfire), I'd pass (even if it's an IPS panel).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9118/lg-34um67-ultrawide-freesync-review/7

If you're interested in g-sync/free-sync, I'd wait a few months: stuff is just starting to appear. prices will go down and quality up, for sure.
An LCD is something you keep for many years, so better be sure.

MaX.

Vini

HornetMaX

Oups, re-reading what I posted I think it can be misinterpreted. When I said:

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 22, 2015, 06:17:01 PM
Get a decent 120/144Hz with honest response time. Once you have that, I'd take better color accuracy over any motion blur stuff.

It was a general advice, not aimed at vin97 (you already have a decent 120/144Hz monitor).

MaX.

doubledragoncc

GPB does not support 3D vision or am I wrong. I have a 3D screen on my laptop, but its stereoscopic which is different but fully supports full 3D too including output to a 3D screen. I see a big difference with games like NFS Shift 2 in 3D but it is supported ingame. It will make no real difference in GPB unless supported by the sim.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

Thanks, that was the answer i was looking for, 3D vision is stereoscopic (shutter glasses) so from your observation GPB does not support it.

I believe the Nvidia driver/app can produce a stereo signal from pretty much any 3D scene but unless the 'depth' effect is correctly programmed in game and suitable for 3D vision the results are quite poor.