• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:52:46 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Familiar to someone here? ;)

Started by Patrick, September 20, 2015, 06:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

Haha yesssss! VERY MUCH!

I hope he went all the way back to where he actually fell off before continuing  ;D
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Haha! Just shows that it can happen in reality..... Just that in reality the odds of it happening are slim indeed I think?  :-\

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

Personally I think the gyroscopic stability of the bike shown in the game is very good and only suffers from being a little more stable than is natural. This proves a lot of the 'physics' developed for the game bike are really good. I mean, I doubt gyroscopic stability is programmed in, I guess it is a 'force' derived from a combination of the physics programming.

Also I agree the chances of it happening are a little lot less than what occurs in game. My beef is that in game there is nothing you can do except wait for the inevitable crash, then start all the way back where you fell off. By that time your race is over.

But how to address that? IRL you would have to wait and you would have to run down the road after it (assuming you hadn't broken any bones in the fall itself) and you would hope the bikes eventual topple didn't involve un-rideable damage. Having a reset button is hardly realistic is it!

Hmmmm.... a classic example of 'I want realism' vs 'its a game!'  :)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Quote from: Napalm Nick on September 21, 2015, 08:10:08 AM
Personally I think the gyroscopic stability of the bike shown in the game is very good and only suffers from being a little more stable than is natural. This proves a lot of the 'physics' developed for the game bike are really good. I mean, I doubt gyroscopic stability is programmed in, I guess it is a 'force' derived from a combination of the physics programming.

Also I agree the chances of it happening are a little lot less than what occurs in game. My beef is that in game there is nothing you can do except wait for the inevitable crash, then start all the way back where you fell off. By that time your race is over.

But how to address that? IRL you would have to wait and you would have to run down the road after it (assuming you hadn't broken any bones in the fall itself) and you would hope the bikes eventual topple didn't involve un-rideable damage. Having a reset button is hardly realistic is it!

Hmmmm.... a classic example of 'I want realism' vs 'its a game!'  :)

Well personally I'd have absolute realism as a server option so that in the future when we have a lot of riders at the same level with excellent skills, the difference between a rider crashing and not crashing can make the difference between winning and losing a race; after all, it's not really fair when a rider(who maybe very fast) can crash out and then get back on his bike and beat another rider who is maybe not quite as fast but is consistent and doesn't fall to end up getting caught by that faster but inconsistent rider and end up losing the race.

This is why I always advocate longer genuine distance races, as they give the consistent riders more of a chance to demonstrate their skills, whereas the short races definitely favour the hot-lappers who blast around at fast lap times but at the same time crash(though it maybe only once or twice during a race) by doing so. I've said it before that a crash should be a crash with a big chance that your race should be over. But this is something for the future when there are more riders with the skills to be fast but also consistent. But it would still be good to have the hardcore realism in the server options so that we can, on occasion, give these hardcore settings a try to see how they work out with current riders skill sets.  :)

Also, I'm sure once all the bike physics issues and GPB V1.0 is released we should see a big jump in riders ability to not be crashing so often; in other words to only be crashing the bike when they genuinely make a mistake instead of the current situation where we are getting too many "WTF was that!" moments. Lol.

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

I must say Hawky, I agree with all that 100%. The biggest grievance would be being knocked off but hey, shit happens IRL. Not sure I would ever be good enough for max-hardcore mode but hey.

If I could design the server choices I would have a page (in game server I mean but replicable in dedicated text too) where all the assists can be set individually on or off/crash-ends-race settings/ difficulty sliders etc etc.

Like you say, hopefully something for the future.