• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:44:19 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

We Need a Good Sound System for "Situational Awareness" in GPB.

Started by Hawk, October 04, 2015, 09:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on October 05, 2015, 12:54:11 PM
No. Need . To. Be .rude. we aren't .all . Genius's  :D

Routing a mono sound into different channels is not stereo. And if this isn't happening....thats what it sounds like.

So the point is making the sound SOUND like stereo would be a good minimal start. Makes perfect sense to me.
But I tried to explain it already twice, that's why I'm getting rude :)

It's not "routing a mono sound into different channels": it's taking a mono sound source, putting it in a 3d space (with its position and velocity) and computing how this becomes heard by a binaural listener (with his position and speed).

The sound emitted by a bike (or by whatever source) is not stereo per se: they way you hear it is stereo, because you and me we have two ears and our brain handles them in a particular manner.
Suggesting that having stereo sound samples for the bike will improve things is way off the mark, to a point I'd call it ... rude :)

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Aha! Well at least you admit it. Lol.

I must say i understood your 3rd explanation best.  :P

I think you are getting hung up on the technical details cos someone used the word "stereo" for want of a better description. Forget that, it was a poor choice. Rewind to the black and white fact that the sound is um..... crap.

Technically, how it can be improved I don't know, but however you and your mate PiB fix it - I'm ready to test it.  ;)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on October 05, 2015, 04:09:11 PM
Aha! Well at least you admit it. Lol.
Never had a problem in admitting that. I know myself :)

I must say i understood your 3rd explanation best.  :P
See, getting rude sometimes pays off.

I think you are getting hung up on the technical details cos someone used the word "stereo" for want of a better description.
Repeatedly, despite the explanations. So yes, indeed.

Rewind to the black and white fact that the sound is um..... crap.
That has been acknowledged a long time ago by some of us ... http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1962.msg26183;topicseen#msg26183

Technically, how it can be improved I don't know, but however you and your mate PiB fix it - I'm ready to test it.  ;)
In Pib's ranking of mates here, I expect to be in the very bottom part, probably outdone only by a few selected russian spammers.
You just have to see his reply to my post linked above ... so yeah, "mate" doesn't really cut it. Not even for want of better description :)

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Lol never mind you know what they say. A friend in need....is a pain in the tits.

Yeh lots of talk about it (sound) dotted all over the forum previous to my arrival. I read quite a lot of it to try and get up to speed and certainly before posting anything with a ? In it.

So just a 'bump' more than anything newly requested I suppose.

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on October 05, 2015, 07:26:52 PM
All fine. But the next one that asks for "stereo" sound gets a kick in the smileys  ;D

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on October 05, 2015, 10:05:37 PM
Quote from: Napalm Nick on October 05, 2015, 07:26:52 PM
All fine. But the next one that asks for "stereo" sound gets a kick in the smileys  ;D

MaX.

To save myself getting a kick in the smileys. Hehe  ;D

These sound issues have been somewhat covered before in the past, but if I remember rightly the issue last time covered was more to do with engine noise down-out, this thread is more concerned with sound improvement suggestions regarding rider situational awareness. Yes, this includes the problem of individual engine sound drown-out, but also sound improvement suggestions to help general situational awareness.

Besides, it's good to keep bringing these issues forward again from time to time, especially as we get 99.9% no indication from Piboso as to whether he has took any notice of any suggestions or wishes from the community at all.  >:(
I've suggested it before in posts, but I think that Piboso needs to start posting a "TODO" list(also suggested many times before with no response or action taken); this would help the community greatly in not feeling we have to raise issues again and again, or as some say to "Bump" issues forward again to remind. This would also help keep the any "suggestions/bugs" organised in a way Piboso would like to see. :)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk UK on October 06, 2015, 07:24:38 AM
Besides, it's good to keep bringing these issues forward again from time to time, especially as we get 99.9% no indication from Piboso as to whether he has took any notice of any suggestions or wishes from the community at all.  >:(
I guess we all agree here :)

MaX.

h106frp

I would still like to see the basic bike engine sounds sorted.. official tools sometime ?... Recently i have tried a lot of the mod bikes and the sounds range from odd to bizarre, a spoiler for some great mod bikes.

Does a wiki exist for sounds creation? I tried using MaX tools but just could not get anything that seemed to work. Bits of info seem scattered around the forum but nothing concise.

Riding in first person i find that accurate engine sounds are a must have for accurate riding, it really throws you off when the sounds seem to have very little connection to what the bike is actually doing on screen.

The default bikes are pretty good so i find i keep returning to them at the moment. Proves the sound engine can be made to work somehow i suppose.

Hawk

Quote from: h106frp on October 07, 2015, 10:26:07 PM
I would still like to see the basic bike engine sounds sorted.. official tools sometime ?... Recently i have tried a lot of the mod bikes and the sounds range from odd to bizarre, a spoiler for some great mod bikes.

Does a wiki exist for sounds creation? I tried using MaX tools but just could not get anything that seemed to work. Bits of info seem scattered around the forum but nothing concise.

Riding in first person i find that accurate engine sounds are a must have for accurate riding, it really throws you off when the sounds seem to have very little connection to what the bike is actually doing on screen.

The default bikes are pretty good so i find i keep returning to them at the moment. Proves the sound engine can be made to work somehow i suppose.

I think the major problem is that most engine sound modders don't have access to adequate engine sound samples to work from, and they are probably not capable of creating and mixing engine tones from scratch(very difficult to get it right).
But also there is the well known problem of the other bike engines on track sounding far to loud compared to the bike your riding which results in your bikes engine sound being drowned out.

But I totally agree with you about the need for good synced sound to be able to ride a bike properly; it really does make all the difference...... To me it's like the difference between listening to good music on cheap crappy speakers and good quality speakers.... the difference is like night and day, amazing difference!  ;D

Sometimes I think some of us here are just tone deaf. Lol  ;D

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Have to agree with Hawk: no good samples = crappy result.

Even with good samples, I'm convinced one need some sound editing skills to obtain a proper result. And these (sound skills) are not very common (maybe only Warlock here had some).

I also agree on the fact that the sounds of most of the modded bikes are a true catastrophe. Sad.

MaX.