• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:10 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Auto rider lean left/right: weird override

Started by HornetMaX, October 28, 2015, 11:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Just noticed this: using auto rider lean left/right, I assign rider lean left/right to a stick axis on the pad. No deadzone, no smoothing, linearity 100%.

In game, with the bike going straight, no steering input, the rider does not lean (as expected), but as soon as I touch the stick to override the rider lean, the rider leans fully left (or right) ultra quickly, even if I moved the stick by the tiniest of the amounts (as if it was a digital input instead of an analog one).

If I add a deadzone, the deadzone works but as soon as the stick movement is "outside the deadzone", then the rider jerks left (or right). Adding smoothing changes nothing.

All works fine in manual rider lean mode.

MaX.

Vergio101

I had the same problem, then I have raised the most of the dead zone of the stick and now works well. I like the movement of the virtual pilot now

Stout Johnson

October 29, 2015, 12:36:16 PM #2 Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 12:39:51 PM by Stout Johnson
Quote from: HornetMaX on October 28, 2015, 11:37:14 PM
[...] as soon as I touch the stick to override the rider lean, the rider leans fully left (or right) ultra quickly, even if I moved the stick by the tiniest of the amounts (as if it was a digital input instead of an analog one).

Same here. Not sure whether Piboso may have intended it to be that way. It sure is not as trivial as it may seem to implement the override function without possibly upsetting the VR-behaviour. For example when releasing manual input and letting the VR take over, maybe in a situation where the calculated grip threshold is almost reached and the manual input are totally contrary to the calculated VR behaviour? Maybe that caused Piboso to simplify by just allowing one way to override. I know allowing the extreme (maximum) override as the only possibility does not sound completely conclusive, but I am just trying to guess :)

Maybe Piboso can clarify?!

However a smooth transition would be much better, if there are no clear reasons against it.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

HornetMaX

The general question of how override should work is unclear to me too: the auto lean "signal" is somethng between -1 and 1 (full left, full right).
The override elan signal is between -1 and +1 too.
Now, if the auto says full left (-1) and the override says zero, then it's full left. But if the override says +1, what should it do ? Most likely, go to +1. Which means there's some trickery involved, like making the override signal cover -2 .. +2 instead of -1..+1. But that means that you lose range and sensitivity on the stick movement. Could be not a big deal, but would be nice to know how it is done exactly.

But in the trivial case of bike going straight + full rider lean left override, I would expect it to move progressively (just like it does in full manual rider lean) and not all of a sudden.
It's not a smoothing problem: if I tell him to lean half left, it should lean half left, not slowly go full left (nor quickly go full left, as it is right now).

MaX.