• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

GP Bikes beta7b

Started by PiBoSo, October 29, 2015, 11:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dareaper46

Quote from: CapeDoctor on November 03, 2015, 04:46:09 AM
to add another few cents worth of petrol to the bonfire, lol - whereas with b6 i could regularly join an online session if it was empty or only one or two riders online, without problem, although i experienced sometimes a pretty big 'lag' type effect, but i could never join an online race, being stuck in a permanent state on the screen which says 'connected' yet never actually connecting - with b7, i have as yet been unable to join ANY server session whatsoever - even if it's empty, again just sitting permanently on the 'connected' screen.
so for me, the online side of things (which, ultimately, is what the sim is all about) has gotten worse.
worse, as in no online ability whatsoever.  ???
i know i don't have the best internet speed around, but that doesn't explain why the problem has gotten so bad, yet my bandwidth speed is unchanged.
in offline mode, i am singing praises from the rooftops for the big improvements, but the lack of online negates that in a big way.

CapeDoctor that is a very strange observation and piece of info there. I on the other hand, have gotten the full experience of the online part. I can join any server now, sometimes with a  2min delay until im connected and sometime even almost instantly. I can tell you that I double - checked the firewall to make sure the game was allowed. I forwarded the 2 ports that were mentioned to me and I changed the bandwidth setting ingame to high. I really am not sure if this has been the solution to my "connected" problem but it won't hurt to try and see.

Hawk

I have noticed and probably something mentioned before a while ago, but I'll mention it again for b7b now. It does seem to me that the connection time with the "Dynamic Surface" tracks is greatly increased compared to the NDS tracks which connect by far a lot quicker.
Just thought I'd mention this so that those here posting about long waiting times(possibly not connecting at all) can test their connections with an NDS track to compare.  ;)

Hawk.

dareaper46

Hawk the thing is... Cape and I are both from South Africa as you have probably read on other topics. So we are not sure if it is because of our location that we have not been able to connect. But one thing is sure, and that is that we had exactly the same problem. Since when I first played this game, my online never worked. I made a few posts on the forums years ago asking for help and noone could help. Piboso didn't bother to reply or to try help me out.

I am almost 100% sure our reason for long connection times has very little to do with the NDS/DS tracks.

Anyway, I am EXTREMELY happy to be able to play online now. One thing --- WHERE ARE THE RACES? :P

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on November 03, 2015, 09:33:41 AM
I have noticed and probably something mentioned before a while ago, but I'll mention it again for b7b now. It does seem to me that the connection time with the "Dynamic Surface" tracks is greatly increased compared to the NDS tracks which connect by far a lot quicker.
That may just be because the server needs to send to the new client the track status.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Quote from: davidboda46 on November 03, 2015, 01:52:22 AM
Unfortunately it does not explain the "white line" core-crashes I get within one lap, playing offline. Today it even happened when the bike was airborn due to a crash. Half bike over the white line, other half still on track (bike was sideways in the air). Does it have anything to do with calculating the bikes position on track and changing circumstances, meaning crash, bike going from tarmac to grass, collision with other bike etc?  I have no idea...

Cheers.

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46

Yes mate I agree and its all un-asked-for testing guesswork really. Makes me wonder if your problem is track related but we often hear of close proximity stuttering like you experience. I like your theory about standing on freshly created dynamic code.
Image my first impression of the game - 990 straight out on Victoria, fell off, bike went runaway for the best part of a minute (didn't know the respawn option was fixed), bike fell down a hole in the map, span round and round and then the game cored out.
Nearly uninstalled faster than a 'Jamoz test'. :D  But it proves there are still track problems.

Personally I have no doubt longer connecting times are due to the client getting all the dynamic information before joining the session.

@Cape - did you ever get to test with DaReaper on your own servers?  How about taking the plunge and stealing a laptop or something and setting up your own dedicated server on it (you can do it on your Games PC but that wouldn't prove much). This will give you a super low connection ping and if you cant join that then there is something wrong with your setup for sureamabob.

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Napalm Nick

Quote from: dareaper46 on November 03, 2015, 09:54:50 AM
Anyway, I am EXTREMELY happy to be able to play online now. One thing --- WHERE ARE THE RACES? :P

They were stopped when we heard you had bought the game hehe ;D 
Both the GPBOC servers have Polling enabled and short qually sessions and races programmed. If you find yourself online with others start a poll!

I'm sure structured races will return 'soon' once the meat had been fully stripped from the B7 bones
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

CapeDoctor

Quote from: Napalm Nick on November 03, 2015, 10:17:27 AM

@Cape - did you ever get to test with DaReaper on your own servers?  How about taking the plunge and stealing a laptop or something and setting up your own dedicated server on it (you can do it on your Games PC but that wouldn't prove much). This will give you a super low connection ping and if you cant join that then there is something wrong with your setup for sureamabob.

well, mate, it's possible there's something wrong on my side, but i have yet to figure out what. my ports are sorted, everything seems to be fine, i can see the online sessions, but have so far been unable to join any of them, just sitting on the 'connected' screen - i leave it for over 5 minutes, time enough to have a cuppa, but still no joy.
i twice tried to host a session, but in both instances dareaper46 couldn't see the session. i get the feeling no-one could see the sessions, so not sure what's happening here.
i set my bandwidth connection to 'medium', will try 'high' setting just to make sure, but with b6 i could join a session even on the 'low' setting, so again, a bit clueless.....
something else i noticed, if it helps, when i initially look at the world servers sessions, the ping seems not too bad, for most of them a sub 200  - lets say an average of about 180.
however, when trying to connect, and sitting forever on the screen saying 'connected', when i quit that screen and try and join again, i then see that the average ping has increased drastically across the board - as in, an average of over 400 ping on each server....!
i'll check my router settings again, maybe there's something i missed...but that's where i am at the moment. stuck in no-man's land  :(

Napalm Nick

Yeh Im feeling your pain. First step would be to get connected to a server running an NDS track for sure.
Don't shoot me I am just reacting to what details you provide - but are you 100% sure your Windows AND 3rd party firewalls are allowing the connections to be made? Turn it all off if you can, run as admin, hit it with a stick! 
Creating your own dedi server would be a good test of everything. Imagine if you have your dedi server up and running and you can see it in the server list webpage (and we can join it), you have halved the system for diagnostics purposes.

davidboda46

Quote from: Hawk on November 03, 2015, 02:17:34 AM
Quote from: davidboda46 on November 03, 2015, 01:52:22 AM
Unfortunately it does not explain the "white line" core-crashes I get within one lap, playing offline. Today it even happened when the bike was airborn due to a crash. Half bike over the white line, other half still on track (bike was sideways in the air). Does it have anything to do with calculating the bikes position on track and changing circumstances, meaning crash, bike going from tarmac to grass, collision with other bike etc?  I have no idea...

Cheers.

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46

Victoria

Which track were you riding on David?

Hawk.

Victoria. Default 990. Happened when I had a clean install. Later it also happened with 125 ITA and 500 Aprillia. I have yet to install any other tracks, and no other bikes except for the above mentioned and the FZ6.

Cheers.

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

davidboda46

I have a "crazy" idea. It does require permission from "the Man". I was thinking about the never ending core.exe problem and came to the conclusion that it needs more time and manpower to fix (if possible). So this is my suggestion for a solution:

There are a lot of programming schools in the world, here in Sweden we have Hyper Island for example. Students do projects during their semester and sometimes it involves "working" for already established companies. What if we would offer some students the challenge to try to fix the core.exe, as a school project? It would not cost anything, Piboso would keep his rights to the project and the students (if they succeed) can put it in their CV. They could also be offered to be credited when V1.0 is released (you know like, Main programmer: Piboso, Programming assistants: John Doe/Jane Doe). This way Piboso could focus more on the other stuff and if the students don't succeed he still would not have "lost" anything.

What do you guys, and mainly Pibiso, think of the idea?   

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Napalm Nick

HornetMaX

I still think there's only one person that can, should and hopefully will tackle the problem ...

MaX.

CapeDoctor

JJS209

another core feedback:

i only have had one or two core's since the newest release of beta7b.
so for me personal everything is alright referable to the core problem with that system: click

Hustin_Jawkins

Hm. Testing nearly 1h offline - no core problems.
Running online for 2.5 laps - core error.

That's a shame because the new beta is so much fun. Lookin' forward to a fix!