• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:38:32 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

New problem - unable to assign rear brake

Started by CapeDoctor, October 30, 2015, 03:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeDoctor

October 30, 2015, 03:03:31 PM Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:09:05 PM by CapeDoctor
okay, so here's the events as they unfolded.
initial control setup worked as usual, all functions assigned no problem.
i use a Logitech F310 gamepad, and i assign the down direction on the D-pad as rear brake. (i am loathe to compromise on this, it's what i'm used to, and anything else just doesn't work for me)
all went well, until i just now added the xinput plugin and tried that out. from the get-go i could see that this wasn't working - firstly, it made no difference to the axis that i can see.
the xinput thread says i am supposed to see a C1 axia, as oppose dto J1 - this is not happening, all i have is the usual J axis.
anyway, as i could see that this wasn't going to make any difference to my axis setup, i decided to take the Murasama for a spin around Victoria.
i noticed immediately that my rear brake wasn't working, so i went back in to the settings and found that the rear brake was now mysteriously unassigned all of a sudden.
having suffered from this issue in the past with my b6 version - more on that in a moment - i thought i'll just reassign it, as i have in the past.
but no, the rear brake does not assign anything, a am pressing on the D-pad repeatedly, and the setup simply does nothing, as if i'm not pressing anything.
so, end result - i am now unable to assign rear brake to the button i am most comfortable with.
then i figured that maybe the xinput plugin is the cause, seeing as the problem only appeared after adding it.
however, removing the xinput plugin made no difference. i am still unable to assign the rear brake to the D-pad button as in the past, and am now at a total loss as to what to try next.
i am not happy about this, obviously, as i am now in effect unable to ride properly.
a while back, while still on b6, i posted in the forum for help with an intermittent brake problem.here - http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=2615.msg38492#msg38492
as you can see, there were no replies at all, so safe to assume no-one has had a similar problem.
what i can eliminate is any problem with the gamepad itself - it's virtually brand-new, and there's no issue with the D-pad buttons on any of the other games i've tried it with.
signed
super frustrated at having endless control issues.  :P

edit - if it helps, the entry inside controls.txt file of my profile shows the rear brake is assigned as it should be - in other words, it's the same entry for other profiles from my b6 version, and it looks as follows:

CTRL_REARBRAKE AXIS E077BE90-1020-11E5-8001-444553540000 1 0 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0 0.000000 0.000000 0 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000

so, from here it looks as if the rear brake is correctly assigned.
however, in the ingame settings, it shows as unassigned, and it won't let me assign a control. what the holy heck...?

Napalm Nick

Oooer cape.

Doubt this is any help but when you use the plugin you have to double assign the controls to get them to move from J to C axis or they will stay at J.

However removing the plugin should cure it. Very important to recalibrate your axus again after.

Failing any resolvement in that direction, try creating a new profile, set it up, and see if that helps?
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

CapeDoctor

gonna try a few options, among them a new profile - will let you know how it goes. ;)

HornetMaX

All very weird.

Not seeing C1 instead of J1 may happen occasionally, just retry.

The no D-pad however is very strange.

One thing to try is to delete (move away) the controls.txt file located in your profile and then restart GPB, recalibrate the pad and reassign. All should work with xinput too.

MaX.

HornetMaX

Doh, did you check this ?  ;D

http://support.logitech.com/article/21696

Disconnect the pad, switch the switch (lol), reconnect, try again.

MaX.

CapeDoctor

October 30, 2015, 03:27:22 PM #5 Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:33:23 PM by CapeDoctor
didn't check that earlier, but did now, and i see it's set to D.
will try it with the X setting and see how things go. ;)
btw, new profile sorted out my brake issue - thank goodness, at least i can ride again :D
which frees me up to fiddle around with the settings a bit more, try the xinput again, and so on.
will be back with feedback, but for now the urgency is over, and i can go about my testing in a more relaxed manner, lolz 
thanks for the assist, fellas :D

edit - still planning on trying the xinput plugin, but from what i can gather so far, i'm not going to be getting any benefit from it.
currently, i can use both triggers - throttle and front brake with no problem - i can press both at the same time, i can do burnouts/donuts and what have you, so i really don't see what i stand to gain by using the xinput.
nevertheless, i'll give it another run and see what happens. ;)

HornetMaX

OK, good. The xinput plugin will not work until you switch your pad to X mode.

MaX.

CapeDoctor

ok, so after further testing with the xinput plugin, i've reached a decision to not use it.
i followed the advice, set gamepad to X input mode, and fired up the game, creating a new profile for this.
instant roadblock - first off, unable to calibrate controller - i click on calibration under settings/input and nothing happens, just a click sound, but i don't get the calibration screen at all.
furthermore, completely unable to assign any controls - same thing happens, a little click sound is heard when i select a control, but nothing more - it doesn't register any controller inputs.
so, basically, a dead end.
reverted back to my original profile, set the controller back to the D input option, and all works fine.
as i still fail to see what benefit i might get from using the xinput plugin, i've decided to leave well enough alone, and stick to my original profile settings.
not sure, but maybe this is something that PiBoSo should look into - would be even better if there's anyone with a similar controller - Logitech F310 - who could offer us their experience, to see if they have similar issues.
as it is, using the D input setting on the controller and without the xinput plugin, i have full control functionality, so best to just be happy with that, lol

Napalm Nick

As we say at work during maintenance periods, if it works, leave it.    lol.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

It seems others with the F310 have issues using xinput:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Controllers/The-Logitech-F310-gamepad-is-not-working-on-xinput-mode/td-p/1058023

There sees to he a solution here (2nd post):

https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Controllers/F310-won-t-install-in-Xinput-mode/td-p/1247364

Anyway, if you don't need to use both triggers at the same time, you may live happily without xinput.

MaX.

CapeDoctor

thanks MaX, i'll check those threads.
thing is, with the D input setting, i can already use both front triggers at the same time - throttle and front brake - i can do burnouts and such, no problem - which is why i doubt the xinput option will offer me anything more than what i already have....

HornetMaX

Quote from: CapeDoctor on October 31, 2015, 10:22:36 AM
thanks MaX, i'll check those threads.
thing is, with the D input setting, i can already use both front triggers at the same time - throttle and front brake - i can do burnouts and such, no problem - which is why i doubt the xinput option will offer me anything more than what i already have....
Uh, that's not possible without xinput.
Where do you have your throttle and front brake assigned ?

MaX.

CapeDoctor

October 31, 2015, 10:31:22 AM #12 Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:34:40 AM by CapeDoctor
lol, if it's not possible, then i have been doing the impossible since i got the controller :D
left trigger is throttle, right trigger is front brake.
in the settings screen, when i press left trigger/throttle, there is a green bar that rises up from bottom to top - when i press the front brake, there is a red bar next to it that moves from top to bottom.
no problems pressing both simultaneously.

edit - in settings screen, left trig/throttle is identified as J1 Button 7, right trig/front brake is identified as J1 Button 8....
don't really know what else to say, other than it works just fine like this.

HornetMaX

Quote from: CapeDoctor on October 31, 2015, 10:31:22 AM
lol, if it's not possible, then i have been doing the impossible since i got the controller :D
left trigger is throttle, right trigger is front brake.
in the settings screen, when i press left trigger/throttle, there is a green bar that rises up from bottom to top - when i press the front brake, there is a red bar next to it that moves from top to bottom.
no problems pressing both simultaneously.

edit - in settings screen, left trig/throttle is identified as J1 Button 7, right trig/front brake is identified as J1 Button 8....
don't really know what else to say, other than it works just fine like this.

Uh strange, maybe is some logitech specific stuff, in which case you're good without the xinput plugin.
That could also explain why xinput doesn't work properly.

MaX.

CapeDoctor

yep, best to just leave things as they are i guess.
i might try and follow up on this with the logitech people - will give feedback if i discover anything relevant.
thanks for the assist, anyway, mate, much appreciated.  8)