• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:04 AM

Software for modeling bikes?

Started by Blackheart, November 08, 2015, 09:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alby46

TI AMOOOOOOOOOOO. PLEASE FINISH IT IT'S MY DREAM MOPED
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

Hawk

Quote from: Blackheart on January 07, 2016, 09:46:23 AM
Quote from: Blackheart on November 08, 2015, 09:22:29 PM
P.S. I do not want to use Maya.

... I return to Maya  ;D

For now I have only created a blueprint of the Fifty (in Italy was very famous in the 90's)

Blueprint

Original photo

If I can find the time to work on, I will update you with the progress ...  :P

I'd have thought you could've just used your photo below as a background image in 3ds Max for the blueprint instead of the extra work for the blueprint drawing you have done above?

I know it's in perspective view which gives slight discrepancies in accuracy but that's what we have to make do with unless we have access to engineering plan drawings, which is very rare.  :)

Hawk.

Hawk

Quote from: Boerenlater on January 07, 2016, 10:39:32 AM
I have access to a legal version of 3dsmax. How hard is it for a complete beginner to make a bike?

Experience is the main thing to have..... I look on every modelling technique in my personal experience library as a weapon, and the more weapons you have the easier it is to do this kind of work and to sort out any problems you may come across.

If your just starting from no experience then you will make many mistakes and find it hard to do. If your completely new to 3D modelling then I would just say to give it a try because you will learn SO much just by doing rather than not doing.... But do learn your way around your 3D apps interface first so that you know were your tools are and what they do... But yeah, go for it!  ;)

Hawk.

Blackheart

@Hawk

The blueprint sketch, I needed above all to learn the model, and less for the initial modeling, I prefer to start with something quite primitive, and then change the image in the second part of the modeling.  :P

h106frp

I have been  advised that 45,000 triangles total is about correct for a complete bike.

Alby46

i think a blueprint for this one is necessary, since its photos are rare and there is only one model like that

Hawk

Quote from: h106frp on January 07, 2016, 04:34:28 PM
I have been  advised that 45,000 triangles total is about correct for a complete bike.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about triangle count these days so long as you model efficiently and model detail only were it's needed(were it's visible to the viewer/user and will be seen close up) you should be okay. You can always reduce the detail later if required after testing, but very rarely need to do so nowadays.  :)

Remember that a lot of detail can be added with normal maps when applying textures; saves the need for highly detailed polygon modelling in a lot of cases.  ;)

Hawk.

h106frp

I expect the reason for being conservative is that you might have 10+ bikes on screen so already half a million triangles.

Hawk

Quote from: h106frp on January 07, 2016, 06:17:19 PM
I expect the reason for being conservative is that you might have 10+ bikes on screen so already half a million triangles.

I understand your reasoning, but actually that is not strictly true...... A graphics engine only draws and processes surfaces that are visible to the camera being viewed; this cuts down the processing workload dramatically. This is also the reason for not modelling objects or part of objects that will never be visible to camera as it is just wasting system resources and is a very inefficient way of modelling for games/sims.

But certainly I'd agree that being conservative is always the best policy, but it's always good to see the detail in objects, that is if you can ever get close enough to view that detail.  :)

Maybe Piboso could enlighten us to the power of the GPB graphics engine capabilities? This would be useful info for modders.

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Well, it surely depends on the GPU you're running on ...

Anyway, I think that when a 100K  tri bike is in view, it "costs" more than a 50K tri bike, even if only 10K tri are drawn in the end for both bikes.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 07, 2016, 09:00:11 PM
Well, it surely depends on the GPU you're running on ...

Anyway, I think that when a 100K  tri bike is in view, it "costs" more than a 50K tri bike, even if only 10K tri are drawn in the end for both bikes.

Absolutely Max, obviously the better the graphics card and larger VRAM you have the more it can handle in a given time, but you still need a decent CPU and adequate size of RAM too to complement that GPU power of course.  :)

Chances are that the higher density mesh would have more surfaces in view anyway than a lesser density mesh for any given view, so yes it would take that bit longer to draw the higher density mesh, but as long as your system specs can handle it then that's okay. I guess this is why some games/sims have minimum system spec notes so that you can make sure your system can handle it.

But anyway, I was just pointing out that the GPU doesn't draw every surface that the original bike model was made from but only those surfaces that are visible to the viewing camera, because it's a common misconception that the GPU draws the whole of an objects mesh in view at any time, it doesn't.  :)

Hawk.

Blackheart

;D So, I can confirm that from now begin the Fifty modeling.

These days I had to "relearn" to use Maya, (I am better here than with 3dsMax), and I found some good pics to understand the model geometry.

As you can see from picture below, I started just now, when I have more material to show, probably finished the chassis, i'll open a new topic, I think it will be fun!  :D

Alby46

Alby46

Any news? I'd love to have this running

Blackheart

Currently I wanted to complete other projects, one of which was finished the ITA translation, the others are a couple of skins that I had been requested, but I had little free time.  :-\

Certainly when I have the time will end a 3d primitive model, but I do not think it will be very soon, it really takes long time to create a good model and optimized with the polygon count.  :P

Usually I finish what I start, for example the VR Mugello 2001 paint, I finished it one year later ... ok not a good news  ;D