• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:46:11 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Unable To Lean Bikes When Front Wheel In The Air....

Started by Hawk, December 01, 2015, 07:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on December 04, 2015, 08:19:19 PM
Because then we would probably crash at every high speed corner bump.
That's far from sure, it would depend on what the virtual rider does exactly in these situations.
With DST/DSA do you crash at every high speed corner bump ? Answer no. And there's no auto-align.

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on December 04, 2015, 09:32:31 PM
Anyway, if you just keep the bike a little bit higher than you did in your short test video, you'll see that the virtual rider will begin to steer the front wheel and, in your case (automatic rider lean), it will keep doing that for quite a long time (unless you let the bike fall too fast, even if it's still doing a wheelie).

Vin, I don't want to pull wheelies for pulling wheelie sake, I want to race not showboat. Lol.  ;D

What I want is for my lean control NOT to totally freeze just because the front wheel comes off the ground, even by an inch. To me that is ridiculous and not realistic. This is something that definitely became a lot worse for beta 7; It's now like it was in beta 5.... Not good.

Hawk.

Vini

December 05, 2015, 10:01:29 PM #62 Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:18:41 PM by vin97
@Max: Exactly. What he cannot do, is switch to front wheel control instantly and let the front tuck in/out.
As I said, with the DST this discussion is irrelevant because you don't have constant (steering) input.

@Hawk: Just imagine the opposite then: The bike begins to tip further into the corner as soon as the front wheel is in the air (standing/'steering' the bike up with the front in the air out of corners already works perfectly, I can give you many demonstrations of those situations). This would make the bike lowside over the smallest bumps in fast corners.
IMO the wheelie control has gotten a lot more realistic in beta7 because now you really feel how much the rider has to pull the bike in order to flip it over to the other side and once again, just compare to some actual MotoGP footage.
In the previous beta you could steer the bike anyway (even if it would be impossible in reality) which led to all the wobbles on the straights. You had to be very careful when moving the bike from one side to the other on a straight in beta6 to not get the wobble and lose time.
Now you can finally use the throttle to stabilize the bike (at least to a higher degree than in the previous betas).
For me this was the fundamental physics change in beta7b and although I found it strange at first, I now love how clean you can ride the GP1000 bikes at their limit.

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on December 05, 2015, 10:01:29 PM
As I said, with the DST this discussion is irrelevant because you don't have constant (steering) input.
No, you implied that without auto-align, we'd crash at every mid-corner bump because we'd be "landing" with the wrong steering angle.

That's not necessarily true: for example, with DST and DSA that does not happen (and with DST/DSA you can definitely be turning the front while mind-corner and no contact due to a bump).
So the front tyre could go back down on the track with an angle that is not the "good" one, but this does not mean you'll crash for sure.

Low "alignment errors" will not make you crash, the front will just self align when contact happens (positive trail): it may oscillate a bit and then damp itself out (naturally or thanks to steering damper). Of course, if you land with the steering fully locked left/right, then you can expect troubles.

You seem to think that auto-aligning the steering to middle is always right. It isn't: when you're mid corner, the steering is not necessarily in the middle.
Auto-align to the middle is always correct for wheelies while going straight. But not necessarily for wheeling in a turn.

Not sure what you mean with " [with DST] you don't have constant (steering) input".

Vini

....The crankshaft rotating in the correct direction has quite an influence on this issue.

I suggest you try the newest M1 with the fixed crank, Hawk!

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on December 10, 2015, 11:03:50 PM
....The crankshaft rotating in the correct direction has quite an influence on this issue.

I suggest you try the newest M1 with the fixed crank, Hawk!

Being able to select different directions for rotating crankshafts is a very exciting discovery; must have been one of Piboso's "small changes not worth mentioning" changelog items. Hehe  ;D
::)

Well yes a counter rotating crankshaft will naturally help a bike not to wheelie and therefore sort of paper over the crack with this issue, but hopefully with Beta 8 and all the physics changes they will help sort out this issue.  Let's wait and see. :)

Can't wait to try the new bikemods as soon as they are in the BikeMOD database... Looking forward to it!  ;D 8)

Thanks Vin.  ;) 8)

Hawk.