• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Unable To Lean Bikes When Front Wheel In The Air....

Started by Hawk, December 01, 2015, 07:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

We should and need to be able to lean bikes when the front wheel is in the air. Currently we cannot do this and it's currently creating big problems when racing.

We have spoken about this before, but since beta 7 release this quirk in the physics seems to have become a lot worse in my opinion, but hopefully the physics changes in the pipeline for the soon to be released beta 8 will solve this problem?  :)

Hawk.

Vini

I think that this would result in all the wobbles again and I'd say it's ok in the current beta even though it took some time to adapt.
When I compare it to actual MotoGP footage it looks very realistic now (steering a bike only by shifting your weight is pretty hard).

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on December 01, 2015, 07:52:18 PM
I think that this would result in all the wobbles again and I'd say it's ok in the current beta even though it took some time to adapt.
When I compare it to actual MotoGP footage it looks very realistic now (steering a bike only by shifting your weight is pretty hard).

This is a sim, right?  ;) :)

Hawk.

Vini

C21

QuoteWhen I compare it to actual MotoGP footage it looks very realistic now (steering a bike only by shifting your weight is pretty hard).
@HAwk
Vin is correct on that.  ;)
In my opinion it is more realistic than before.
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

Vini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWuTcJcqAng&t=46s

Pretty equal to the maximum possible steering in the GP Bikes when the front wheel is in the air.

HornetMaX

Not really applicable to our situation vin: in the video, the two wheels were on the ground. When you have the front in the air, it's different. Mostly because you can lean the bike (even on one wheel) and get some camber thrust. But I agree, I don't thin it's a big big issue in GPB at the moment.

BOBR6 84

I think we can turn a bit with wheel in the air in GPB.. The front wheel even turns to the left or right too now which is nice.. Biggest problem I would say is the violent wheelies still.

Hawk

Who said anything about counter-steering?  I know about counter-steering; Max has taught me well.  ;D

I'm talking about turning the bike when the front wheel is in the air..... Take a look at this video which presents my case without any doubts whatsoever:

Watch from 1:38 in the timeline of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/v/48Xk_WrEYw8

I rest my case, my lord.  :P

Hawk
PS: I know it's possible because I used to do it myself, and I also remember Barry Sheene demonstrating it while riding around Donington Park. So I know it's possible.  ::)

BOBR6 84

Lol I never said anything about CS.. but it still happens, just has no effect.

So if you lean you put pressure on the bars anyway thats why the front goes left or right.

Honda hairpin at victoria. Exiting that corner the front lifts, front wheel turns left, bike is leaning/turning to the right.

It looks cool!  8)

HornetMaX

It is possible Hawk, but on a heavier bike and at higher speed, you can't do what that dude is doing in your video. As BOB said, it happens in GPB.

One (more relevant) example, here at 3m35s:

https://www.youtube.com/v/iRWp9rhfS_0

Hawk

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on December 01, 2015, 10:35:55 PM

So if you lean you put pressure on the bars anyway thats why the front goes left or right.

Honda hairpin at victoria. Exiting that corner the front lifts, front wheel turns left, bike is leaning/turning to the right.

It looks cool!  8)

No Bob. Lol.
My post was for those who seem to think it's not possible to lean and turn with your front wheel in the air.  :)

Mind you, if you do it and come down with your front wheel out of line you better make sure you have a good steering damper. Hehe!  ;D

Hawk

Hawk

@Max: I saw your video on Youtube, but I thought I needed a more obvious representation of the physics involved in leaning and turning while the front wheel is in the air to get my point over, though be it at a slower pace.  ;)

The point is that it is do-able, even at high speed, and therefore the capability for this should be in GPB. We shouldn't have to wait for the front wheel to ground before we are able to take a corner in GPB, it's ridiculous. This issue is definitely worse in Beta 7 than it ever was in beta 6c in my opinion.  :)

Hawk.

BOBR6 84

Oh man im confused lol.

But 100% yes a damper will help alot in that situation! Although what tends to happen is the bars straighten up before you touch down again..

Have we been here before ?? Lol  ;D

Hawk

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on December 01, 2015, 10:35:55 PM

It looks cool!  8)

Any chance of a video of you doing this in GPB(or a replay file)? Because I have not yet been able to turn the bike into a bend with my front wheel off the ground, it just carries on straight until front wheel comes down.  :)

Hawk.