• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:22:56 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Wheels In Air When Changing Direction Quickly BUG.....

Started by Hawk, December 09, 2015, 05:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Just a short replay file to show you something I've noticed before - This happens especially when the bike is leaning left to right or vice versa relatively quickly.

This clip was taken of Nick in the Monza 125cc championship race held on Monday evening 7th Dec 2015 .

Take a look: https://mega.nz/#!LYFg2YjT!9aeakEpYXCw1SLJW3wzkJ6siuPp-VkczNNWazeNcayk

This bug happens on all bikes default and bikeMods.

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

Ah yes front and rear in air at odd times indeed.

Funnily enough I have noticed this a lot too recently, in replays.

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Vini

At Jerez the wheels often seem to be floating slightly above the ground and at Mugello they dip into the ground.

Maybe some track modelling mistakes or it's because GP Bikes lacks tyre deformation.

BTW, is GP Bikes simulating the chain properly (at least internally)?

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on December 09, 2015, 05:50:19 PM

I'm sure it is, but the question should probably be : Do all bike mod authors know how?

I think getting the chain working is probably one of those things some know but most don't. Another subject for a good and very useful tutorial I think.  ;) ;D

Hawk.

Hawk

At Jerez the wheels often seem to be floating slightly above the ground and at Mugello they dip into the ground.

Maybe some track modelling mistakes or it's because GP Bikes lacks tyre deformation.

The wheel running under the track surface is caused by a track author exporting a changed collision file but not exporting the new map file to match it.  ;)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

AFAIK, GPB considers the chain force and its effect on the rear suspension.
After that it all depends on what you mean with "properly".

Vini

If it is being correctly simulated in the game engine (otherwise the anti-squat probably wouldn't work), then some (minimal) visual effects shouldn't be too hard to add, right? :D
It would already be pretty neat if the chain at least remained connected to the engine sprocket at all time.

By properly I meant for example if the game engine is (capable of) calculating all of the chain movements you get under braking and acceleration.

HornetMaX

OK you meant visually then.  Well I don't know, but it's doesn't seem exactly trivial to show the chain in a very proper manner: a real chain has a slack, how do you model this in 3d ?
Also its angle (wrt to the sprocket) changes and it's overall length changes too (swing arm length).

Really not my area, but I'd guess that one way to go is to have a separate 3d model for the chain and GPB positioning it (position and rotation) depending on the bike state.

Theoretically one would also need to stretch the model (or part of it) for swing arm length adjustment. But the theoretically even the rear sprocket should change (depending on the number of teeth) so doing the whole front/rear sprocket + chain thing absolutely right visually is a bit of a pain.

Vini

I imagined the full visual implementation to be quite complex, for me it would already be enough if the chain stayed aligned with the sprockets.
Do you think that this is also hard to do?

As long as all the forces are taken into account by the game, it's ok but wouldn't the game need to calculate chain slack then anyway?
Currently, I would say that the game lacks that initial moment when you open the throttle (ever so slightly) and the chain tightens which sends a shock through the chassis.
Could be wrong, I am just thinking of possible consequences of incomplete chain simulation.

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on December 09, 2015, 08:46:26 PM
I imagined the full visual implementation to be quite complex, for me it would already be enough if the chain stayed aligned with the sprockets.
Do you think that this is also hard to do?
You mean only compensate swing arm rotations (rear susp movements) ?
It would mean separate model for the chain at least ... can't judge if it's hard, but I guess that the problem is just the ratio complexity vs benefit.

Quote from: vin97 on December 09, 2015, 08:46:26 PM
As long as all the forces are taken into account by the game, it's ok but wouldn't the game need to calculate chain slack then anyway?
Currently, I would say that the game lacks that initial moment when you open the throttle (ever so slightly) and the chain tightens which sends a shock through the chassis.
Could be wrong, I am just thinking of possible consequences of incomplete chain simulation.
I don't think that's simulated but I don't think it's critical neither. Gearbox issues are way more important.

Vini

Quote from: HornetMaX on December 09, 2015, 10:22:02 PMYou mean only compensate swing arm rotations (rear susp movements) ?
Yes.

Quote from: HornetMaX on December 09, 2015, 10:22:02 PMbut I don't think it's critical neither. Gearbox issues are way more important.
True.
Are you talking about the problem of gears not correctly engaging?

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on December 09, 2015, 10:36:16 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on December 09, 2015, 10:22:02 PMbut I don't think it's critical neither. Gearbox issues are way more important.
True.
Are you talking about the problem of gears not correctly engaging?
That, plus clutch weirdness etc. (http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=2868.msg44406#msg44406)