• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Rear brake leverage setup

Started by PiBoSo, January 01, 2016, 11:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

Right now in GPB it's possible to set the front brakes' leverage and discs, and rear brake master cylinder and disc.
Beta8 will add the possibility to set the front brakes' master cylinder, too.

Is it possible to set the leverage of the rear brake, too?
Is the setup of the rear master cylinder needed?

Please reply, thank you!
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

PiBoSo

By the way: was the front master cylinder setup really needed?  :-\
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Napalm Nick

I am no expert  ::) but isn't the front master cylinder bore (I assume the settings are bore dia right?) always 19mm for anything with twin discs but can be 16mm for single disc bikes/Supermoto's etc?

The lever settings of 16/18/20 make the main difference in 'feel' for the front but rears are pretty much stuck with 13mm/11mm cylinders as the only option for changing the 'feel'?

If I am right (unlikely as I am a bit out of touch with setups nowadays   :-X) then I would answer:

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 01, 2016, 11:55:22 PM

No I don't think so but hopefully a MotoGP technician will comment more - they have all kinds of fangled possibilities.

Is the setup of the rear master cylinder needed?

Yes, although minimal, some change is needed to suit a riding style - I mean a lot of racers never use the rear brake but I think that's a wasted tool, and more importantly in GPBikes the rear brake is very useful. Having the ability to tweak it to a riders style is good (and realistic).

By the way: was the front master cylinder setup really needed?  :-\

Yeh sure, why not, there will be a lot of bikes designed including more streetbikes in the future.

I'm sure more advice will come  :)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

C21

@Piboso
QuoteIs it possible to set the leverage of the rear brake, too?
HAppy new year  ;)
AS far as i know it is not possible.

QuoteIs the setup of the rear master cylinder needed?
Depends on riding style but i would like to have the possibility to change the rear mc.

QuoteBy the way: was the front master cylinder setup really needed?
Good question. To simulate different brake manufacturers on the same bike it would be nicer to have the option. Brembo developed an RCS 17 front brake for the new R1/R6. At these bikes you now can use the RCS 19 and RCS17 system. With BEta7 you can not implement this right now.
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

HornetMaX

At the rear I'd speculate the leverage is tunable to get the right feeling. Likely it's easier to change a leverage than to change a master cylinder, so ...

Note, some motogp riders use a thumb lever for the rear brake.

Napalm Nick

Yes but I'm not sure any rear leverage solutions actually exist IRL?
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on January 02, 2016, 12:59:06 PM
Yes but I'm not sure any rear leverage solutions actually exist IRL?
Why that ? It doesn't look complex at all to build. Of course it would only make sense for extreme race bikes, I don't expect to find it on road bikes (not even hypersport).

Napalm Nick

Dunno probably cos road racers generally don't use it so why develop it? :-\

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on January 02, 2016, 01:13:35 PM
Dunno probably cos road racers generally don't use it so why develop it? :-\
Uh, are we discussing motogp or what ? Of course it make little sense to have it on Harley.
But in motogp, they do use rear brake (to different degrees, depending on the rider), so that gives a good reason to develop it.

Napalm Nick

Give Brembo a call, maybe they forgot  :D

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on January 02, 2016, 08:13:45 PM
Give Brembo a call, maybe they forgot  :D
Eh, motogp stuff is ultra custom ... don't hope to find it on amazon.

And I passed in front of their site (near Bergamo) no more than a few days ago, so asking them is not totally out of reach :)

Napalm Nick

Quote from: Napalm Nick on January 02, 2016, 01:15:27 AM
Quote from: PiBoSo on January 01, 2016, 11:55:22 PM

No I don't think so but hopefully a MotoGP technician will comment more - they have all kinds of fangled possibilities.

Yeh, as I said. :)

Anyhoo, knock on the door man, tell 'em you are the Master Cylinder-Inspector and you will Brake the door down if refused entry, there is no stopping you. Use leverage if necessary but don't slip a disc doing it. They are only 'spanner monkeys'.