• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:26:48 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

A try at modelling - WIP

Started by h106frp, January 03, 2016, 11:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiccoChicco

The rule is : one texture, one shader. If you want to have two different shaders for two objects, you have to have one texture for each one. Note that the preview in your viewport can be a lot different to the result ingame.

About .shd parameters, take a look here, Juju made a great tutorial explaining it :

http://forum.motonline-france.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1566

Also, to make a model looks better, creating an occlusion map to add on the texture using "Multiply" option is a great way. Again, Juju made something very clear to make it :

http://forum.motonline-france.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1577

My links are in french, so if you don't understand something, I'll translate it.

Hope it helps, but if you have any other question, feel free to ask  :)

Blackheart

The Juju tutorial are a must  ;D

h106frp

At the moment i am more concerned with the basic geometry smoothing 'shaders' i.e. Phong, Gourard etc rather than texture map type shaders.

Sorry if my terminology is a bit obscure and causing confusion.  :-[

h106frp

Still tweaking the model  :-\ Sort of ending up as early 916

Front looking about right   :)

LH side

RH side now with correct wheels  :) but a few details still left to add to the fairing

Keeping me busy until B8 arrives anyway  ;)

Napalm Nick

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

Decided the fairing upper was all wrong, re-styled  :)

Eagle

January 31, 2016, 11:02:59 PM #21 Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 11:08:47 PM by Wh1t34Gl3(SAS)
I'm stunned! I recently tried -- once again -- to make bike models but i'm always failing or getting disoriented at some point... How long did it take for making this model ? What techniques did you use ?!

About the shaders, it's too bad it needs one texture for one effect. We are far of even the Q3A shader language..

h106frp

February 01, 2016, 12:27:51 AM #22 Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:35:44 AM by h106frp
Thanks,
I used the reference image feature of blender. Set up a 3 view of the object, trace points onto 1 view and then re-position them on another view to get a 3D object. I followed a good blender car demo on you tube that explained how to set up, size and position the views correctly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9kA5LDJMLM. Reference image are well implemented in blender with scaling, rotation and opacity controls. Also love the blender 'path' tools that make pipes and tubes a doddle to do  :)

Had a lot of different images set up for different components but for the bike the best 3 view images i found were 'studio 27' (google images) - they make transfers and bits for model making and the instructions include decent 3 views.

I also decided to work in scaled units (mm) and scale to GPB world dimensions later which has made life easier as i had a plastic model bike to hand and i can just draw correctly sized circles to use as 3D reference dimensions ;).

Like this.. model and reference image overlaid.

I only draw half the bike and then mirror the other half but finally i have started adding some non-symmetrical details as well - blisters, vents etc...

Opened up all the fairing vents and made the bike properly 3D   :) Need to start on UV mapping next -  :-\

and finally started to lay out the 1P view  ;D.

I have spent a lot of time on it, i tinker with it while watching the telly  ;) - but started laying the first frame bits out during Christmas holidays.

Real challenge has been to get it looking right without too much geometry - its a very curvy bike  - currently at 46k triangles - probably aim for 50k with some finishing details. I would like to do the full road bike but adding decent front lights would probably take at least another 5k triangles.

Eagle

I used exactly the same workflow!

I guess i owe my failure to the combination of my lacks of skills and bad references. Certain parts/hard shapes aren't easy to reproduce though. I'm referring to -- depending on bikes -- the head glass and behind the fairing.

Napalm Nick

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

Help  please :)

Can someone please post the 1P and 3P model hierarchy, just a screen shot is OK

Just need to know the correct parent/child object structures

I really need to try and view the models within GPB to move forward.

h106frp

:( Oh well i tried a scratch build, stuck now due to the lack of documentation for the hard coded object names and structures.

Hawk

Quote from: h106frp on February 11, 2016, 10:07:08 AM
:( Oh well i tried a scratch build, stuck now due to the lack of documentation for the hard coded object names and structures.

Yes. We really could do with the BikeMOD integration procedure/rules posting in Piboso's WIKI page same as he's done for tracks, that would be a massive help.  :)

Hawk.

Alone

Just name the needle object as "rpmneedle" and attach it to the chassis as a child. No more is needed for the moment.

Steven

February 11, 2016, 02:09:49 PM #29 Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:42:12 PM by Steven
Probably there is a special hierarchy or naming or something for example to export everything in one file like PiBoSo does.
But you can still go on exporting the parts in separate files. This should work. You have to name these parts in the gfx.cfg.
Or is your question/concern pointing in another direction?