• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:29:36 PM

A try at modelling - WIP

Started by h106frp, January 03, 2016, 11:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Quote from: Alone on February 11, 2016, 02:02:14 PM
Just name the needle object as "rpmneedle" and attach it to the chassis as a child. No more is needed for the moment.

Ok,

we have (or i do not understand how they work  ;)  )
1P
revcounter = rpmneedle
speedo      = ?
temperature = ?

brake lever=?
clutch lever =?

throttle grip=?

3P
clutchpack=clutch

I think i can work out the rest from the config files.

Are all 'special' objects 'child' of chassis?

Is 'screen' a special case? I noticed it seems to have a special converter option

Thanks for the info, really appreciated

Alone

Only the rpm needle must be linked too the chassis.
All the steer scene components must to be in a group named "steer".
And the led screen's texture has too have a w_ prefix. To edit it, use the .gfx file putting the 2d texture coordinates from the texture file you use. No needs to be a child object.

h106frp

February 11, 2016, 08:22:21 PM #32 Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:26:12 PM by h106frp
Ok, moving forward;

I do not think Ricco fully explained his model scaling scheme to me - anyone for a pitbike  ;D

This is in bikeed with my 'chassis' slaved to the 990 files, raises 2 questions;

1, I do not see the chassis 'in game' but i see the 990's bits same as bikeed - is this because i have no textures assigned, i though i would see a 'grey' default material model or wireframe but its seems to be transparent.

2, What scaling does GPB use? I have built my model in mm so its easy to scale, i am guessing the reference model Ricco kindly supplied me with to view is 1/4 GPB world scale as  i scaled mine to his chassis.

Sort of encouraged to see my chassis load into anything GPB at the moment  ;D

Many thanks to all those who have helped so far.

Can anyone explain how the HRC file works - i guess its some sort of LOD implementation

Steven

Concerning you second last post:

You can call the needle of the speedometer "speedneedle" or anything else, because you can still change this in the gfx.cfg later.
Analogue temperature isn't supported yet, I think.
For the levers you might have a look at the gfx.cfg files of the MX Bikes bikes. I don't know whether this is working in GPB already (hardcoded or like in MXB), but you could try.

The parenting and grouping I think PiBoSo would have to explain. But the things I have tried (getting something into the game at all, making the gauges work, ...) all worked without any parenting/grouping for me. What I couldn't get to work for example was the chain, the LODs and having all the parts in one .edf. Maybe this has something to do with the parenting and grouping.

If by "screen" you mean the windshield option, this is to make the raindrops on the windshield work (i don't know whether there is another use as well).

I guess since there is no official (or comprehensive unofficial) documentation it's good to gather some information here, so keep asking. :)

h106frp

February 13, 2016, 06:26:26 PM #34 Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:06:52 PM by h106frp
Quote from: RiccoChicco on January 11, 2016, 09:34:34 AM
The rule is : one texture, one shader. If you want to have two different shaders for two objects, you have to have one texture for each one. Note that the preview in your viewport can be a lot different to the result ingame.

About .shd parameters, take a look here, Juju made a great tutorial explaining it :

http://forum.motonline-france.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1566

Also, to make a model looks better, creating an occlusion map to add on the texture using "Multiply" option is a great way. Again, Juju made something very clear to make it :

http://forum.motonline-france.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1577

My links are in french, so if you don't understand something, I'll translate it.

Hope it helps, but if you have any other question, feel free to ask  :)
'
Sort of follow whats going on in 'bike-gsxr.shd' but where is this referenced in the GPB script files - gfx.cfg?

edit:

Finally worked out that scaling is in meters  ;)  Thankfully Blender lets me work in 'real' units and then switch back to non-dimensional which seems to be needed by fbx2edf - wish someone could have told me at the start though as it would have been much simpler ::)

h106frp

Well, i have a rideable bike of sorts  ::) in game.

Very rough and just proof of concept - bikeED is difficult with a non-rendered bike as everything appears flat white  ??? so some GEOM issues  ::)

Just a quick vid to show the spinning clutch  8), working rear brake lever  8) and working front brake lever  8)

https://www.youtube.com/v/gGIiGLooPI4&feature=youtu.be

Small steps forward..  ;)

Hawk

It's coming on really great H! I just love that spinning clutch!  ;D 8) 8)

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

Brilliant job H. lts a world first l have never seen it before in any sim.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

davidboda46

Nice work man!

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Napalm Nick

Ohhh I was so thrilled to see it in game and with moving bits! Awesome work H.  8)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

Quote from: Napalm Nick on February 18, 2016, 08:09:14 AM
Ohhh I was so thrilled to see it in game and with moving bits! Awesome work H.  8)

It is a relief to finally have it appear in the GPB world. I was starting to think i would never understand how it all worked. Shadow models are the next thing to try and understand.

The main thing i wanted to check was detail/frame rate ratio and i am happy that it is no worse than the stock 990  (currently at approx 50k triangles) so it does seem that even with fairly modest PC hardware (i5 / gtx750ti) you can add quite a lot of detail to the models.

I might just keep adding detail and see where it start to hit the framerate compared to a stock model as i do not want to get too far along with the model until the bike model changes with B8 are clear. I also want to try an early version of the 1P model in game and see how that looks.

Napalm Nick

Quote from: h106frp on February 18, 2016, 08:32:43 AM

I might just keep adding detail and see where it start to hit the framerate compared to a stock model as i do not want to get too far along with the model until the bike model changes with B8 are clear. I also want to try an early version of the 1P model in game and see how that looks.

Yeh why not, it will be very useful information for all modders I would think.

I wonder how modders and makers find out what physics coding changes Beta releases bring other than by doing file comparisons ? I never saw any helpful coding changelog?
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

A lot of trial and error at the moment - hopefully at the end i will be able to compile some documentation from my own experience.

First big tip  ::) , be careful of Global/Local axis issues in the model design stage, you can get some very strange or useful things going on if your finished objects have the incorrect local geometry axis.

HornetMaX

Nice work h106frp.

Concerning the integration in GPB, if you took the time to do what no other modder has done up to now (i.e. write down the necessary steps, pitfalls etc, maybe in a wiki of some sort) you'd get instant "hero member" status :)

h106frp

Quote from: Napalm Nick on February 18, 2016, 08:52:04 AM
Quote from: h106frp on February 18, 2016, 08:32:43 AM

Yeh why not, it will be very useful information for all modders I would think.

I wonder how modders and makers find out what physics coding changes Beta releases bring other than by doing file comparisons ? I never saw any helpful coding changelog?

Tried loading up the model with some extra detail and started to notice the framerate reducing relative to the default mura model. So it looks like the 45-50k triangles is about right if you want similar to default framerates.