• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:18:00 PM

Knockhill

Started by Grooveski, March 28, 2016, 06:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grooveski

January 05, 2017, 08:36:21 PM #30 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:00:58 PM by Grooveski
Walls are finished, nearby land tweaked and buildings are in(still to finish the pit building(and add some other clutter)).

Question for those in the know...
How should I deal with double sided textures?

Wasn't getting them at OM with the surfaces simply set to double-sided.  Have I missed a naming switch in the wiki...  ???
....or should I model the other side - i.e. copy/paste the fence mesh model and flip the new normals.

Urban Chaos 2.0

Looks pretty good so far. How long before it's done?

h106frp

You need to model all normal surfaces - no double sided support.

So copy-flip-displace-texture

Grooveski

Willdo.  Cheers.  :)

Don't know UC but not long now.   ;)  Todays session might see the model  finished...
... for the moment - I already have a todo list for V2.   ::)
....and V3.   ::) ::)
Are they ever really done?   ;D

Grooveski

A few more trees and it's conversion time.   ;D

Another thing I could do with some input on is what surface to use for the kerbs.   
Knockhill's kerbs don't have rumbles - they're just painted concrete - so the KERB surface is out.
....was thinking of using LINE (for the kerbs and the other painted concrete bits - the red and green bits).

...but there's also the option of using the BASPH and CASPH surfaces...

:-\

Hawk

You need to name your kerbs "TRKKERB" mate.  ;)

Here's a guide to the track creation rules and object naming conventions: http://docs.piboso.com/wiki/index.php/Track_Creation_Rules

If you need any help to implement the track then you only need to ask mate.  ;) 8)

Hawk.

Donnie

Looking great Grooveski

Grooveski

Funnily enough the more stuff I add the less I'm liking the looks of it.  The two models I'm lifting TSOs from both have pretty different texture vibes(from both each other and from the landscape skins I've added(which aren't the best match for each other either)).  All the skins could do with a rebalance at least(and a good few really need changed).

The trees have all been moved around but are essentially still the old Toca models.  They were actually pretty good(better than the Dirt backfill forest model).  What it still needs though is Dirt style high-poly trees along the front edge of the woods to pretty it up from the track.
...and the current images swapped for higher-res versions.

I'm partly just making excuses in advance.  I know some folk might be looking for modern style visuals but off the bat knockhill won't have them.  It'll maybe look better than Toca(the current GPB version) but not as pretty as Dirt.
...yet!    ;)

Grooveski

The high-poly treeline better be worth it.  ::)  75k of eye-candy.
Total poly count is now 342k in tris.

Urban Chaos 2.0

Hawk

Quote from: Grooveski on January 14, 2017, 10:57:36 PM
The high-poly treeline better be worth it.  ::)  75k of eye-candy.
Total poly count is now 342k in tris.

Just an idea, but couldn't you just do a single plane tree line situated behind those high detail line of trees to try and save on the poly-count? Not sure if it would look right, but just a thought off the top of my head right now.  ;)

Looking great though Grooveski! Nice work!  ;) 8)

Hawk.

Grooveski

The single-plane treelines for Oliver's Mount are about as close as I'm willing to go with them.  What can I say - I'm a landscape junkie.  :)
Only conversions I done for GP500 where the trees really impressed me were Charade and Oulton Park, so I consider those as a baseline...
...and those fitted into GP500 - so I should be able to get away with murder beyond that.  :D

There's also the camera angle bit.  That's why Charade was such a nice model to work with, you could stick a camera anywhere and the landscape would look right in the background. :)
I plan to make a TV-clone camera set, but also fancied trying a single camera(position - will be multiple cameras really) on top of the tower(to play with transitions and try to get the hang of how it all works).

...and it's no secret that from up the hill you can watch the racing for free.
....but from that angle you don't get away with anything - tree-wise!  The lowres trees are only 10k(so far) and I was kinda planning on chucking in the same again before going to single-plane.   :)

Hell, there may even be a second row of high poly trees too.  This is kind of a test run for OM after all - that had a 500k budget!  ;D

Hawk

I understand what your saying there Grooveski..... Your doing a fantastic job there mate, and I'm also one for realistic detail and this is looking great! Can't wait to give this a try!  ;D 8)

Hawk.

Grooveski

Been a bit busy the last few weeks but have sneaked in a few sessions.  Mostly adding more walls, fences and armco - up to three layers in places now.   ::)  Oddly though it's not as tedious because adding the background fences is highlighting where the verges are off...

.....anyway, having started V2 detail with the trees I've just gone ahead with some of rest of the V2 modeling.
(The background stuff - There's bits of the track that I know still need work but I'd like to ride them before working on them).

For the record:
- The elevations through turns 1-2 looked suspect even before I started fannying about with them(i.e. - they're definately not right)
- There should be more of a rise just as Railroad starts to straighten out.  Easy enough to add but I'd like to try the one that's there first.
- Approach to the hairpin needs some bumps added on the right.
- The rise at the start of the main straight looks high but first off I don't know whether to bring the low bits up or the high bits down...
...and I also misjudged some of the elevations at OM by a mile - so feel like trying it before making any rash decisions :)

Needed a 4-bar fence at one point.  Must admit it was nice to reach for one of the OM models - an "I made that!" moment. :D

...and this is what nearly twice-as-many low-poly trees looks like.  Perhaps I should have said four-time as many.   :P

Donnie