• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:48:32 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Advice with LODs

Started by h106frp, May 17, 2016, 06:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

May 17, 2016, 06:48:57 AM Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 04:58:40 PM by h106frp
When i started my model i was advised to just use standalone single edf files without scenes and this seems to have worked OK for the model.

I have constructed a standalone LOD edf file and i now seem to have a problem. In game the model geometry layers change OK when zooming in and out but the textures are all messed up on the LOD layer and seem to have the correct textures randomly applied to the various model components.

To resolve, i have tried so far;
Placing the same main model in the 3 LOD layers - works OK as far as i can tell with  no visible problem
Placing the LOD layer in the main layer - works OK, LOD model appears to be correctly defined
Tried naming the LOD layers using file= rather than scene= in the .hrc LOD declaration file - GPB will not load past the splash screen and eventually cores
Tried making the LOD a single 3D object with a named part and declaring name= in the .hrc file - Still get the texture map corruption

The LOD layer is the same model with all the small details removed and reference the same texture and shaders during compilation with fbx2edf

I am sure i have seen at least one MOD bike done this way where i noted a LOD layer edf in the directory but i cannot locate it now

I am guessing it a model declaration syntax issue at the moment

Thanks

edit:
Meanwhile i am going to learn about scenes in Blender  ::) Nothing is ever as simple as it seems at first but having had a play with the free roam camera the LODs are not only important for in game riders but also to reduce streaming load for DD, It appears that i can easily reduce the model graphical load by 30% with each LOD

......Might be on to something  :)  It seems you cannot directly reference the same material texture name with another LOD without creating problems. Making a copy of the model with different material reference names (same actual sorce texture file though) and object/mesh names and it appears to work correctly. I will experiment a bit more later on. I wonder if the LOD textures are expected to be scaled (to reduce size) and renamed .....