• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Server Replays auto saved by session - ON "To-do" List

Started by Napalm Nick, May 28, 2016, 10:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

May 28, 2016, 10:00:54 AM Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:35:12 AM by Napalm Nick
Hi,

Problem - server is only capturing whole event replays up to 1Gb and server buffers unable to be set higher (at some tracks) without causing 'core'.

Result - appx 997Mb of an EVENT replay is saved but cannot be viewed as it 'shut off' the recording at 1Gb in a 'dirty' way.

Notes:
1. Seems to be a B7/B8 thing (unconfirmed). In 6c recording 'seemed' a lot more successful?
2. Might be overcome with more RAM but not a friendly solution.
3. All this based on what my own server is doing only.

Proposal - would it be possible to make the servers auto-save the replays PER SESSION rather than PER EVENT? (More often than not the replay is split anyway before being provided for others to download - so some labour saved there too). This would make replay files smaller, more easy to locate sessions, more likely to record full sessions and more chance of being successful on a wider variety of server specifications.

Thank you for your consideration.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

doubledragoncc

I have major replay problems with 3GB DDR5 dedicated video and 16GB DDR3 working memory!!! Server drive has 400+GB free is a 7200rpm veryfast HDD too.

What is the actual figure you have in the ini file for your server?

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Napalm Nick

Based on B8 change in Buffer nomenclature where 10 = 10MB, my servers are set with 1000.

This seems to be the highest setting I can guarantee ALL tracks will record replays on for AVERAGE race events appx - 10 players.

As has happened in the last 3 events, big tracks with lots of players-  the recording stops at 1Gb and is 'broken'.

Before, the replays never used to be broken, the replay would kind of overwrite itself, deleting the earliest parts of the session to ensure  the latest was kept. Hence sometimes we had races that missed the first few laps or so. But they worked.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

doubledragoncc

Okay so I will try 1000 and see what happens.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

doubledragoncc

May 28, 2016, 01:56:32 PM #4 Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:58:49 PM by doubledragoncc
OH and I forgot to ask: HOW do I save a server replay or is it automatic??? DOH

Just call me Homer

DD

AH wait a mo, so it saves it automatically if it is at the end of a race, but I have to hold a race to get a replay............right, I cant just save a practice or qually time?

Napalm Nick

You set it up in the dedi.ini to save to the folder "Replays" if you used my method. If set to 1 it will save when the server resets after a race.

doubledragoncc

Got it set to 1 and have the replay folder where I said it is in the ini

Just not run a race yet  ::)

DD

I am so tight on time right now lol. Will get there soon

Napalm Nick

Yeh as long as you get a race started and ended and the server resets it will record everything automatically - practice, qually, race.

As yourself (a client attached to the server) you can still record replays whenever you want but you have to do that manually by saving it in the replay screen.

doubledragoncc

Okay got it all.

I defo need another system to be dedicated. I need to reboot several time during the day testing hardware and software out. I hate asking guys to leave.

DD

PiBoSo

Quote from: Napalm Nick on May 28, 2016, 10:00:54 AM
Proposal - would it be possible to make the servers auto-save the replays PER SESSION rather than PER EVENT? (More often than not the replay is split anyway before being provided for others to download - so some labour saved there too). This would make replay files smaller, more easy to locate sessions, more likely to record full sessions and more chance of being successful on a wider variety of server specifications.

Added to the TODO list.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Napalm Nick

My box of ManHugs is open again, please take one :) Thanks.

Vini

for the silverstone race tomorrow, we could split the replay recording. the server or somebody who is only spectating could save the first half and some rider could save the second half after the race is finished.

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on May 28, 2016, 02:58:20 PM
for the silverstone race tomorrow, we could split the replay recording. the server or somebody who is only spectating could save the first half and some rider could save the second half after the race is finished.

That is a good idea Vin!  ;) 8)

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

I am testing today on my server while using a client replay window to see what happens over an hour or so.

DD

Vini

May 28, 2016, 03:30:40 PM #14 Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 03:33:15 PM by vin97
ah hold on, i was thinking too complicated, the guy that is spectating can do it by himself, he just needs to save a new segment everytime its beginning is about to disappear on the timeline and then cut out the overlapping part later on.