• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:51:22 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Server lock

Started by PeterV, May 29, 2016, 07:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterV

When organizing a race event it can be and is a huge pain in the butt when people connect during a qualifying session.
Due too this connecting we get a connection lag spike from every rider that joins, killing the guys already on track doing there (fastest) lap(s).

Our suggestion would be too be able too lock the server during qualifying. (Like when the start sequence of the race has started noone can come in? )
Leaving some time period after qualifying has ended and before the race sequence starts, for riders too return into the server, maybe they
lost connection, cored out, who knows what, but they would be able too participate starting from the back naturally.

Napalm Nick

+1 connection lag is too bad
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

I'd reservedly agree on that Peter, but I would much rather Piboso code the netcode properly so that people can connect without any connection lags occurring. This can be done because other online games don't suffer from connection lags so it can be done and this would be a better solution altogether rather than a bodge-job on the crap netcode we already have.  ;)

Hawk.

PeterV

Quote from: Hawk on May 29, 2016, 07:47:57 PM
I'd reservedly agree on that Peter, but I would much rather Piboso code the netcode properly so that people can connect without any connection lags occurring. This can be done because other online games don't suffer from connection lags so it can be done and this would be a better solution altogether rather than a bodge-job on the crap netcode we already have.  ;)

Hawk.
Thats an option too, but when will that be ready? Pibs is busy with KRP i assume and all the other stuff.
seeing as the server is locked already when we race it might not be a big task too add? i dont know, i suck my thumb :P

Vini

lol ok, i got 3 cores during qualy so dont know if this is a solution.

im with hawk on this one.

PeterV

May 29, 2016, 08:22:30 PM #5 Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:35:12 PM by PeterV
Its probably a solution ( temperately, until the netcode fix? )  for riders too finish there lap without a person connecting fooking up there (hot) lap.

Vini

Quote from: PeterV on May 29, 2016, 08:22:30 PMtemperately,untill the netcode fix?
you are saying that like it will happen in the next week or so

PeterV

Quote from: PeterV on May 29, 2016, 08:22:30 PMtemperately,until the netcode fix?
Quote from: vin97 on May 29, 2016, 08:28:23 PM
you are saying that like it will happen in the next week or so

Am i ?
You can read into it what you want.

Vini

anyway i dont support this "solution" it would just exclude ~a third of the grid from qualy due to core bullshit

doubledragoncc

True vin but who is to say it is not the guys coming in during qually or in fact any other time that causes the cores.

You are supposed to be on the server for qually, if your late, bad luck, stay out and dont ruin other peoples laps. If people can not respect that a lock out is good. On the other hand if you core and were there to start with it is shit.

I am saying that people coming in and going out is not going to help stop cores. I think it causes quite a few.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Vini

of course

i had to rejoin 2 times because of core DURING qualy

Hawk

I definitely think that some core.exe crashes are due to others connecting.... I'm sure I have been booted out so many times for this very reason.... But as a quick fix like Peter is suggesting then a server lock would be a good thing in helping to prevent this kind of issue, but that's presuming that Piboso doesn't yet know how to fix the netcode? From what he's said in the recent past I'd bet that he does, or at least has a good idea of what the problem is but has chosen to concentrate on working on the physics of his projects before working on fixing the netcode. Not the way I would look at it considering that multiplayer is at the very heart of all his projects, but then Pib is the boss man and can chose to prioritise as he pleases, right.  ;) 8)

So yeah, a quick release hot-fix(beta 8a) server lock would be a good interim measure to try and help the situation, but certainly it would be better if the netcode was debugged and coded properly for the next beta release.... Let's us pray! Pray HARD guys!!! ;D

Hawk.