• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:14:41 AM

Luis Salom :(

Started by Gzehoo, June 03, 2016, 03:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meyer#12

Totally agree Hawk!

Motorsport is dangerous and everyone who is racing know this and that is also what can determine the best from the rest, in some corners you really need balls to make it around fast and some people just don't dare to do that. It's a part of the sport and we racers are willing to risk it all for the sport we love and live for.

I totally agree, we can't get all tracks 100% safe unless we go around at 20kph, but in a corner like that and other places, a little more run off could have help. A longer run-off and some gravel in the run-off could have maybe kept Luis alive stopping him before bike or making bike or Luis bounce out of the same trajectory. But we will never know, it could have well have been bike stopping in gravel and Luis hitting that. Freak accidents will happen like we have seen before. It is impossible to avoid.

Meyer#12

davidboda46

"SAG Team Press Release: Telemetry Analysis Shows Cause of Salom's Crash

The SAG Team issued the following press release, containing their analysis of the data from Luis Salom's bike during the crash which cost the Spaniard his life:

Official SAG Team press release after the deep telemetry analysis done on Luis Salom's bike

On Friday June 3rd Luis Salom passed away during the Gran Premi of Catalunya FP2 session after an accident suffered at the turn 12 of the Catalunya circuit.

After receiving the telemetry data yesterday Sunday June 5th by the organization, the technical staff of the SAG Team held immediately a meeting to personally determinate the facts of the accident and to communicate afterwards with exactitude what happened in technical terms at the fatal turn 12 of the Circuit of Catalunya. In the comprehensive analysis done on the telemetry data assisted the owner of the team Edu Perales, the team manager Jordi Rubio, the chief mechanic of Luis Salom Bernat Bassa, the chief mechanic of Jesko Raffin Michael Ferger, the Moto2 rider Jesko Raffin and the manager of Luis Salom Marco Rodrigo.

During the course of the FP2, Luis Salom faced his first laps and makes his best lap (1'48.608) before making his first pit stop to change the rear tire of the bike. After that, Salom comes back on the track and during that same out of the pits lap he suffers the accident. In that lap, Luis arrived to the turn 12 braking reference point 6 km/h slower than his fastest lap, according to the telemetry that was because a lower acceleration at the exit of turn 11. Due to that reduced speed, Luis operated the brakes 9 meters later to maintain a proper corner speed at the turn 12. At the entry of the corner there is an irregularity on the asphalt known by all the riders (bump). The delay of the braking instant made Luis to maintain the brakes operated running over that asphalt irregularity, as opposed the previous laps where he already had released the brakes on that spot. All of that added to an even speed than his best lap of the FP2 produced a stress on the front tire and a grip lost on the irregularity of the asphalt. That grip lost produced the crash with the tragic outcome that we all know.

These telemetry data provided by the organization are available to any qualified technician with desires to analyze it."
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on June 07, 2016, 03:15:46 PM
What MotoGP needs is a guy in control who can say to the track owners, "We don't want no crappy chicanes because we want you to keep the tracks historic character, so get a big enough run-off area installed at that danger point or the track will be dropped from the MotoGP Calendar. Period!". That is the sort of guy MotoGP needs. No messing, either they do it or the track is off the calendar. Simple.  ;D
And this would be totally fine with me. But I'm surprised that, assuming for some reason they can't improve the run-off, you prefer to lose the Catalunya track (probably replaced by some obscure GP in the middle of the desert) instead of having its layout modified a bit. If the chicane is the only solution, I take the chicane: the rest of the track is still a pleasure to watch.

We all agree it's a dangerous sport per se, but there's no reason to make it even more dangerous racing on tracks that are not adapted to the performances of the bikes.

Meyer#12

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 08, 2016, 06:34:00 AM
What MotoGP needs is a guy in control who can say to the track owners, "We don't want no crappy chicanes because we want you to keep the tracks historic character, so get a big enough run-off area installed at that danger point or the track will be dropped from the MotoGP Calendar. Period!". That is the sort of guy MotoGP needs. No messing, either they do it or the track is off the calendar. Simple.  ;D
And this would be totally fine with me. But I'm surprised that, assuming for some reason they can't improve the run-off, you prefer to lose the Catalunya track (probably replaced by some obscure GP in the middle of the desert) instead of having its layout modified a bit. If the chicane is the only solution, I take the chicane: the rest of the track is still a pleasure to watch.

We all agree it's a dangerous sport per se, but there's no reason to make it even more dangerous racing on tracks that are not adapted to the performances of the bikes.

+1 on this one Max!

Exactly what i mean too :)
Meyer#12

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 08, 2016, 06:34:00 AM

The point is Max, there is no such thing as "Can't be done", "Were there's a will there's a way" right?  ;D

I mean if they really wanted to keep the historic character of a track(which they always should do) then they would do what was required to make the danger points safer. But as is human nature(probably a Scottish gene in people. Lol) they will always take the cheaper option given the opportunity, and someone with the kind of authority to basically force them to do what would be required to keep the tracks historic character alive or they lose the right to hold a GP event would be a VERY strong incentive to do what's right.  :)
Putting in chicanes is usually the cheapest option for the club owner to fullfill the new safety requirements and it's chicanes that in my personal opinion, and many competitors, that have ruined many historic tracks throughout the last few decades in the name of safety measures. Chicanes should be banned unless they are specifically designed into any new layout for reasons other than just to slow competitors down.
You have to remember that competitors can get killed at much slower speeds too, so again I talk about getting things into perspective as far as the argument that because of the greater speeds due to advances in tech that more safety measures are required on circuits.
But talking about safety measures..... Maybe we should look at it from another point of view and in the name of safety and to slow them down we should stop competitors using electronics because they give the rider a SO much easier ride compared to the old days and therefore a sense that they can take higher risks, so maybe they should start to go back to the old school tyres and no electronics to put the fear of god back into riders these days. Lol!  ;D ;D

Hawk.
PS:But I guess a chicane will be the option that will be adopted unfortunately.... Yet another classic track gone down the drain I suspect.  >:(

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on June 08, 2016, 10:08:28 AM
The point is Max, there is no such thing as "Can't be done", "Were there's a will there's a way" right?  ;D

Wrong. In some cases, it can't be done at all, or it can't be done within reasonable budget. When it can be done, they do it and we're all happy.