• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:11:36 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Questions about daily development

Started by Alby46, June 21, 2016, 09:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

Given the low CPU demand, I don't necessarily see the need for multicore support.

h106frp

CPU demand should not be low when we have systems with very high spec hardware struggling for frame rate on what are, by todays standards very low detail track models and suggests bottlenecks in the code. On a fairly average i5 (4 core + hyperthread) we can only harness 25% of the available performance and it is unlikely that you would be multi-tasking other apps whilst playing a game.

Lower clock speeds and higher core counts are the way modern processors are being designed for better efficiency and performance and off-loading tasks that can be easily parallelized could simplify coding and debugging and a task like network services would appear an ideal candidate to free up time in the main program thread for physics or graphical calculations.

Vini

Are you sure that bottleneck is coming from the CPU? I have an i5-2500K (default clock) and none of the 4 cores ever goes beyond 50% usage.
Having the game stick to a single core is quite handy when recording.

Furious

Hi Piboso. Can you give a glimpse of when versions with ipv6 support will be released? That's something I'm interested to try out.

Tom HWK

Quote from: Vini on June 27, 2020, 11:07:50 AMAre you sure that bottleneck is coming from the CPU? I have an i5-2500K (default clock) and none of the 4 cores ever goes beyond 50% usage.
Having the game stick to a single core is quite handy when recording.

the fact a 9 year old cpu is only having 50% usage is the problem. also recording should be handled by the gpu.

Vini

50% of one core of the CPU! Multi-threading would not improve the situation in any way.

h106frp

June 29, 2020, 09:59:55 PM #411 Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:10:36 PM by h106frp
I was originally thinking that it might make for much smoother network play if the network services could run without any issues arising from timing in the main program thread or vice versa - much more reliable than interrupt driven methods.

The other way of thinking is that if we are under utilising the processor and overloading the graphics we should really be doing more pre-processing (i.e. z-culling) on the processor to reduce graphics overhead - and we can utilise our spare idle cores for that, maybe we could have HDR and other post processing without the big FPS hit.

Vini

Z-Culling should definitely be a priority, agree on that.

Tom HWK

single threaded performance is not optimized and there is no multi thread use so both would be a massive improvement, the fact that gpbikes and a AAA game run about as fast as each other on my pc is a problem, both 144hz, no vysnc, 1080p, motogp 20 on highest and gpbikes basically run nearly the same. thing is my pc is being pushed on motogp 20 but my pc doesn't break a sweat on gpbikes. and there is a massive graphical difference between the 2. and i've had my fps drop into the 50s at times on gpbikes.
i7-6800k, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080

Myst1cPrun3

On some tracks I get about 60fps in gp bikes, due to it not using the full potential of the hardware in the pc.

It's appalling that I can have an I9-9900 32gb of ram and an rtx2080ti, with less than 10% utilisation on both cpu and GPU, and STILL struggle to get +60fps at places. Just shows how in optimised for modern hardware GP bikes is.

For reference I get 120fps on ARMA 3 with full ultra graphics at most points, which is perhaps the most unoptimised game I can think of

Myst1cPrun3

And GP bikes in vr is unplayable for me.

When vr runs it should be locked at 90, then if FPS takes a hit go down to 45 and use asynchronous spacewarp to fill in the missing frames.

But due to an issue with gpb (works fine on other -more demanding - titles) it runs at 45 FPS on my system, and then down to 22 FPS when async spacewarp kicks in, despite again having <10% utilisation on CPU and GPU.

There is 90% of my pc not being used and yet I'm struggling for FPS.....

Low utilisation DOES NOT equal good optimisation.

Vini

Getting a bit off-topic now but I agree that optimisation should be improved.
Multi-threading on the other hand is pointless considering the current state of the game engine.

@Mystic: Have you tried disabling VSync and using GPB's own FPS-limiter?

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: Vini on June 30, 2020, 12:01:13 PMGetting a bit off-topic now but I agree that optimisation should be improved.
Multi-threading on the other hand is pointless considering the current state of the game engine.

@Mystic: Have you tried disabling VSync and using GPB's own FPS-limiter?

Tried everything, from adjusting settings in game, in the control panel, all the way through sending my entire pc back to the shop and getting an entirely new headset

Myst1cPrun3

It has been raised as an issue both here and on the discord various times, and hasn't been fixed.

https://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=6867.0

Hawk

@Piboso: Could you elaborate further on your intentions to implement "Mod Registration" and exactly how that would work and effect modding for your projects in future? Thank you.