• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:14:41 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Suggestion for problem of runaway bikes....

Started by CapeDoctor, July 03, 2016, 10:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeDoctor

i know it's been talked about before, but there doesn't seem to have been any real solution yet to the problem of a bike just rolling along by itself for ages after a crash - particularly on certain tracks, it can be really frustrating.
i thought of a possible solution - a little more work for Mr PiB, i guess, but maybe not that much - what about giving the bikes a rudimentary, very basic damage model?
i don't even mean any visible damage, nothing like that - but if it can be coded that the front forks, for instance, can get bent quite easily in an impact, this would degrade the bike's stability, allowing it to fall over.
on respawn, the bike will always be 100%  - again, this does not need to be extensively modelled, and not visually at all (that's wishlist stuff, lol - this is more a suggestion for improving things as they are).
most times that a bike runs away like this, it's often hitting off things and rolling on - if it could easily be damaged like this, then it would stop running, and you could restart, without having to wait for the bike to finish cruising the next few click's by itself....  :D
anyway, a suggestion, food for thought....  :)

Napalm Nick

Er Doc it was fixed for Beta 7/8. You can now just press R and it will reset .  Sometimes it takes a little longer to allow this but mostly it is fixed. Try it! ;)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

CapeDoctor

well, i know about the fix, but you can only respawn when the bike is doing less than 43km/h.
how many times have i had my bike trundling along at just over that speed, so even with no rider, i can still sometimes watch my bike riding by itself after hitting a wall and immediately righting itself.
unless there's something special with my game version, then 43 km/h seems to be the limit - anything over that speed, and your bike won't respawn.
Try it!  ;D

Napalm Nick

Lol OK !

As that problem has only affected me a handful of times since B7/8 (therefore quite acceptable whereas it was a real PITA before) and as no one else mentions it anymore I assumed you didn't know especially as you said 'there has been no real solution yet'. So I guess if it is affecting you a lot some other idea is worth putting forward. To me it is equally as rare as in real life. No doubt now it will happen every frickin time I fall off. ::)

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

On Nordescleiff i reckon i have had a couple of miles (including turns) before re-spawn on a downhill section   :o

Annoying when you know 'rider off' has been flagged by the sim

CapeDoctor

that's exactly the problem, h106 - although the fix has largely cured the problem on many tracks, it's still a huge issue on certain tracks - hence why i'm asking for a different approach to fixing this problem.  ;)

Napalm Nick

Here's another idea - in a testing session if you fall off then return the rider to the Pits. Will help to focus the mind and make the rider consider their riding more like real than just a game. PS: not in races tho, the chequered flag wouldn't get used.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on July 04, 2016, 08:14:45 AM
Here's another idea - in a testing session if you fall off then return the rider to the Pits. Will help to focus the mind and make the rider consider their riding more like real than just a game. PS: not in races tho, the chequered flag wouldn't get used.
Thanks Nick, you've just multiplied the time it takes me to test plugin stuff by a factor 10 :)

Napalm Nick