• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:37:44 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

2 EdTrackers at the same time (for body movement)?

Started by davidboda46, October 21, 2016, 10:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidboda46

Anyone know if it's possible to have 2 EdTrackers active simultaneously? I am playing with the idea of using one of them for rider movement, like attaching it somehow to the body and controlling the virtual rider with real body motions. But since I only own one EdTracker, I wanted to check if it's even possible to do (and if "yes", maybe it's smarter to wait for the wireless version of Edtracker, if it's ever released(?) http://www.edtracker.co.uk/support/news/16-stock-update-and-wireless-news ). Of course it would be even better if I had the cash to invest in a VR-system as well, but that is something for the future (hopefully someone will hack the PS VR so it can be used fully on a PC, as that would be the cheapest option at the moment).

Then there is the question if you can calibrate it good enough in GP-bike so it is sensitive enough without being overly sensitive. Is body controlled movement a plausible idea or am I just insane?

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46 
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

doubledragoncc

In theory it should work david as I can use 2 Leo Bodnar boards at the same time. I have been thinking about this idea too but would rather make a body unit that plugs into the spare analogs on my BU board. Still I think you should be okay with 2 EdTracker units, maybe try different USB ports as this can make a difference in Windows.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

Only got the one but it should work as the once calibrated it does not need the host app and just natively emulates a joystick. The only complication would be whether you have to plug/unplug to configure the EDtracker using it software.

The guys at EDTracker are great with support so just drop them an email and they will be able to confirm.

teeds

Quote from: davidboda46 on October 21, 2016, 10:54:08 AM
Then there is the question if you can calibrate it good enough in GP-bike so it is sensitive enough without being overly sensitive. Is body controlled movement a plausible idea or am I just insane?

I've set a single one up in MXBikes for rider lean and it worked fine, so should in GPB. I had to use software to adjust for full saturation at about 13 degrees from upright to make it react accordingly for me in game.

doubledragoncc

GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

davidboda46

Thanks for the info guys!

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

HornetMaX

Keep in mind EdTracker detects rotations: I'm not sure you could find a spot that gives good results for rider lean fwd/back and left/right.
But that's easy to try out if you have one EdTracker. At any rate, the exact way (position and orientation) you fix it to your body will be very important.

Likely you'll have to use something like Joystick Gremlin to fine tune the curves, but that shouldn't be a problem, even with 2 EdTrackers.

doubledragoncc

In tests I have done with gyros I find the shoulder to be the best place as it gives the most body movement.
I am working on a 3D print design for simple positive mounting.

DD

teeds

I cable tied my tracker to a Go-Pro chest mount. Didn't use it for long though as TBH it was a faf, and the cable annoyed me. Also in MXBikes I use  rider lean more as an additional bike lean so it didn't really feel right. Didn't try it in GPB though and this will feel different as you lean with the bike, unlike MXB.

Joystick Gremlin is what I used to adjust the axis.

davidboda46

Or you could just sit naked on a joystick, although that would probably be a bit to painful, unless you have a modded old tac2!  ;D 

tac2 by David, on Flickr

Cheers,

David "Gonzo" Boda #46

HornetMaX

Quote from: davidboda46 on October 21, 2016, 01:20:56 PM
Or you could just sit naked on a joystick, although that would probably be a bit to painful, unless you have a modded old tac2!  ;D 
Your call, but in case, please take a picture and post here :)

I'm wondering if the head is not an option too: of course, if you have rider lean tied to the head, then it may be a bit tricky to also have head tracking for the onboard view but if you limit the head tracking to a single axis (look left/right, i.e. head yaw) you can use the rest (head pitch up/down, head tilt left/right) for the rider lean.

2 EdTrackers strapped on your head !! Epic !

teeds

Quote from: HornetMaX on October 21, 2016, 02:49:42 PM

Umm or maybe just PM it to Max  :o

HornetMaX

Quote from: teeds on October 21, 2016, 04:03:15 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on October 21, 2016, 02:49:42 PM

Umm or maybe just PM it to Max  :o
It's ransom material, always useful :)