• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 05:50:01 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

GPB Server GPU requirements

Started by doubledragoncc, December 31, 2016, 02:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubledragoncc

Can someone, preferably Mr P himself please tell me the requirements for a VERY GOOD server GPU. What I mean is, I have all the other hardware that will make a great server, fastest internet service in UK, BUT, I am thinking that the GPU will not bottleneck the server even if it was a cheap low GB old card due to the fact the server NEVER uses graphical info to run, just data of clients and the sim itself.

Can someone please confirm this line of thinking or slap me and tell me the right way lol. I am building the new server right now.

Thanks for any help and a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

JJS209

i think you do not need a gpu at all except for your windows or linux gui where you run the server at.
for a dedicated server you just need cpu, ram, hdd and bandwidth.

HornetMaX

Server --> no particular GPU need (it only shows a window with a text console ...).

doubledragoncc

Thanks guys thats cool news as I love my GTX1050Ti and such a waste on a server lol.

New system complete with WIN10 OS cost £277 now and can even run Forza Horizon 3 smoothly even if it is only solid 30FPS.

The new server is running an Intel Core2Quad Q8300(£18.95) with 8GB Ram(£27) on an ASUS P5G41T-M_LX3_PLUS LGA775 Motherboard(£31,99)and seems to run as sweet as a nut. I have been stress testing every part of it and it stays stable at 100% load so should be fine for the server. The original complete system with WIN10 PRO for the OS, Case, DVD-RW and 250GB HDD(£30) the original motherboard, Core2Duo 3.06GHz, 4GB Ram and PSU will be used to make a spare server system. Eventually I think SSD's might be better than mechanical drives for reliability, thermal and power usage. Need to see if they are good for server work or not?

Well back to testin the shite outta this to get it up for the new year( the system not that!!!)  :o

Have a rockin n rollin new year all

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Napalm Nick

Sounds great DD thanks for all you do and have a great 2017 too.
HNY to everyone 🎉
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

doubledragoncc