• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:20 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Modding tools and documentation

Started by PiBoSo, January 03, 2014, 10:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

January 03, 2014, 10:16:07 PM Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:43:29 PM by PiBoSo
There were no plans to release any tool or documentation for physics editing after Beta4 release.
Everything is still WIP and there is no time for that at the moment.

Anyway, the first mod already looks pretty accurate despite it all.

A few suggestions:
- the front suspension collides with the body when fully compressed. Probably the joint needs to be moved slightly down
- the fuel tank position is under the tip of the seat: is this correct?
- the collision objects would need some tuning: in particular the bottom sphere could be replaced with a box
- it is possible to move the boots link position in the gfx.cfg file

- when geometry and suspensions are perfect, tuning of the steer parameters is very important to make the bike stable... Unfortunately this is more of a black art than science, and requires a lot of trial and error
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Arvoss

First mod and best mod ever! :D Those scooter races are going to be epic! :D Nice work of the modders and PiBoSo! :) PiBoSo, when can we see you on the track?  ::)

PiBoSo

Quote from: Arvoss on January 03, 2014, 10:25:54 PM
PiBoSo, when can we see you on the track?  ::)

Lulzwhat? Haven't started GPB since the day before beta4b was released.
Track tools and other bikes have taken the spotlight.

http://www.youtube.com/v/6Q00HQwO2Sg

Warlock

Thanks Piboso modders will appreciate this a lot

Epic music there, man  :)

neoraptor

Hi PiBoSo,
The tools looks really good ! It will be really helpful for modding new bikes in the future !!

Do you plan to release a first version of this tool soon?
Even a simple viewer for the geometry file would be a great start, to check if the parameters are in a good range.

Thanks again for your great work.
Being myself a developper, I know that it is far from easy !! ;)
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. Confucius
>> Wiki to help modders <<

SwarleyRuiz

I use the google translator

Youtube: SwarleyRuiz Video of Games Racing.

_oDi_

Thanks Piboso for the  support, I really appreciate it. Not having any tools, I went on trying, doing a lot of testing...is the only possible method for now ... and apparently the result is not bad. :) When tools will be ready our little evil Zip will be much better... Obviously. I cant' wait!  ;D

HornetMaX

A few of questions people are asking around:

• Why is the mass of the front suspension separate from the steering head mass ? Is it the partial mass of the suspension that is unsprung ?
  • In the tyre model: Radius is the radius of the tyre (center to outmost circumference), torus radius is the radius of the torus "describing" the tyre profile. But what is Width ? For the 990 for example Radius is 0.325, Torus Radius is 0.13 and Width is 60. Is Width the half angle describing the tyre profile ? In other words, is the tyre width of the 990 equal to 225mm (calculated as 2 * Torus Radius * sin(Width)) ?
  • What the hell are the "Collision objects" ? Nobody seems to have a precise idea :)

MaX.

C21

January 08, 2014, 11:42:37 AM #8 Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:51:37 AM by C21
Thank you Piboso for your support. :)

The bike editor looks interesting.
This tool would be a big advantage in the hands of modders.....would allow to get the bikes more different in their behavior on the Track.
e.g. bikes of the same class (GP1000) are still using murusama geometry files , so they will behave more or less equal besides the engine power curves.
With this tool a fine tuning of the bikes would be clearly possible.
But for now we have to try and check again and again....
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

neoraptor

I put the variables from the geometry file in the drawing above and found this :

I am not 100% sure of the front reference and didn't manage to place the rear reference.
Does someone have an idea? I used ImageJ to scale the pixel to mm and make the measurement (ratio is 306.42 pxl/mm).

There is at least 3 reference systems:
* the bike
* the fork
* the rear (swingarm)

If we manage to have at least the position and references of each elements, it will be easier to build bikes with a correct geometry until the bike builder tool is released .
Any help is welcome to finish to place the various elements ;)

The collision spheres/boxes are probably used to determined where is the contact with other bike or elements.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. Confucius

PiBoSo

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 08, 2014, 12:55:47 AM

• Why is the mass of the front suspension separate from the steering head mass ? Is it the partial mass of the suspension that is unsprung ?
  • In the tyre model: Radius is the radius of the tyre (center to outmost circumference), torus radius is the radius of the torus "describing" the tyre profile. But what is Width ? For the 990 for example Radius is 0.325, Torus Radius is 0.13 and Width is 60. Is Width the half angle describing the tyre profile ? In other words, is the tyre width of the 990 equal to 225mm (calculated as 2 * Torus Radius * sin(Width)) ?
  • What the hell are the "Collision objects" ? Nobody seems to have a precise idea :)

MaX.

1. the "front suspension" mass is the sum of lower part of forks, calipers and front fender.
2. Width is the angle ( in degrees ) of the tread arc.

HornetMaX

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 08, 2014, 02:07:34 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on January 08, 2014, 12:55:47 AM

MaX.

1. the "front suspension" mass is the sum of lower part of forks, calipers and front fender.
2. Width is the angle ( in degrees ) of the tread arc.

Thx. So the above computation is correct, right ? The 990 has a 225mm wide rear tyre ? Wow ... that's some more than the current 195 for motoGP ...

MaX.

Hawk

This is becoming a very useful source of information. Is anyone eventually going to take all the information that is useful here and convert it into an organised post? Because it won't be long before trying to find specific info in this thread becomes a nightmare. :)

HornetMaX

An unofficial guide to modding is planned (chapter 5 of the unofficial guide currently under development: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=431.0).

The problem is that more than understanding the parameters of the models, many modders would need first a basic course in physics/mechanics :)
But there's always the approch "slam a number in and see how it feels"  ;D

MaX.

neoraptor

January 08, 2014, 03:11:28 PM #14 Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:19:46 PM by neoraptor
I started a wiki so that everyone can add/change info : http://gpbikes-mods.wikia.com/wiki/GPBikes_mods_Wiki

It is still a WIP, but I try to document as much as I can. ;)

Concerning the tyre, if I understand it correctly, we have the following "model" :

Radius
     <------->
><=====   : 1/2 Tyre
^^
Torus

and the torus is like that :
  /   
/
/
\     ^
\    | width (in °)
  \   v

We can then found the width of the tyre : Wt = sin(width) * TorusRadius * 2

Is that right?