• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:24:56 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Perfect Canyon Road Track in Los Angeles

Started by nurb, April 22, 2017, 06:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nurb

Long story short.... I live in Los Angeles, California and every weekend I ride up to this mountain road called Angeles Crest Forest Highway and it is one of the best canyon/mountain roads you could ever ride on.  Medium to high speed corners with some elevation just a perfect recipe. It is one of the most popular canyons for motorcycle and car enthusiasts including me. Today I came across a mod in the assetto corsa section of Racedepartment and someone created a very very nice version of the canyon road/ highway on assetto corsa. I tried it out and mostly every corner is replicated like the real thing and its amazingggg!!! I was hoping that someone aka (Manu to the rescue) could do an ac conversion on it and upload it to the forum for people to try and i guarantee everyone will love it!!

Heres the link to the track on Racedepartment: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/l-a-canyons.15067/

Please if someone knows how to do an AC conversion please do it :) it would be a dream come true!

MultiCOOLFRESH

Looks very nice. I wish we had roads like that here in northern germany :(
Heeeeeey Hoooooo <br /><br />

nurb

Yup its a very nice road and i feel that if someone could convert it from Assetto Corsa to GP Bikes it would be a great canyon track :)

Vini

Phoenix77

Quote from: nurb on April 22, 2017, 06:50:18 AM
Long story short.... I live in Los Angeles, California and every weekend I ride up to this mountain road called
Angeles Crest Forest Highway and it is one of the best canyon/mountain roads you could ever ride on.  Medium to
high speed corners with some elevation just a perfect recipe. It is one of the most popular canyons for motorcycle
and car enthusiasts including me. Today I came across a mod in the assetto corsa section of Racedepartment and
someone created a very very nice version of the canyon road/ highway on assetto corsa. I tried it out and mostly
every corner is replicated like the real thing and its amazingggg!!! I was hoping that someone aka (Manu to the
rescue) could do an ac conversion on it and upload it to the forum for people to try and i guarantee everyone will
love it!!

Heres the link to the track on Racedepartment: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/l-a-canyons.15067/

Please if someone knows how to do an AC conversion please do it :) it would be a dream come true!
Thanks really glad you like my track in Assetto... I'm the dev of LA Canyons ;)
It's probably a bit too early to do any conversions... I need to extend some of the connecting roads, put in junctions, barriers, chevrons, put a bridge or two in, foliage (alot of foliage) including bushes, grass and pine trees. and other details...
I'm currently working on an Assetto version of a 23km section of the Pacific Coast Highway http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/pacific-coast.12087/

Here's a Drift video on the current version of PCH - https://youtu.be/1pP4XVFMhns

When PCH is finished then work can continue on LA Canyons :) I'm new to 3DS Max and track making in general so this may take some time.
Hopefully sometime in 2018 I can turn my focus to giving Angeles Crest & Upper Big T some 3D love. My props that I've made for PCH will hopefully speed up the process ;)

Just signed up on here to let anyone know who wants to do a conversion.
You have my permission to convert the current version of the LA Canyons (0.3) Assetto Corsa mod.
Obviously giving me proper due credits, with a clear link to my original Assetto Mod on Race Department.
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/la-canyons.15067/

I originally saw Matt Farah's "The Smoking Tire" videos, and just knew there needed to be a digital version of these awesome roads for people to drive on.
As it seems games developer are unlikely to include them in any future titles.

Other roads on my radar include the "Snake", the Bixby Creek section of PCH, Stelvio Pass and the Norikura Skyline.

The most likely place to find me is on Race Department - Profile name - Phoenix77

Cheers :)

btw If anyone local to the area could get some varied, sharp, side on, top lit, high res (4k +) photo's of singular
foliage items (easier to crop and make alpha masks)... that would be awesome.

nurb

Thanks for the reply Phoenix and thanks for the permission :) now im hoping someone will convert to do this perfect road some justice. I actually work at newcombs ranch which is the restaurant on ACH so i know the road very well. Thanks for the update on the mods there awesome :)

Phoenix77

Quote from: nurb on November 16, 2017, 04:08:19 AM
Thanks for the reply Phoenix and thanks for the permission :) now im hoping someone will convert to do this perfect road some justice. I actually work at newcombs ranch which is the restaurant on ACH so i know the road very well. Thanks for the update on the mods there awesome :)
No worries Nurb, yeah Angeles Forest... In fact SO many roads in California need to be in racing simulators.. As far as I'm concerned they're up there with roads like Tranfagarasan etc.
And have as good, if not better corners than purpose built race tracks.
So the more people able to drive or ride on these roads, the better.

I've heard of Newcombs Ranch, one of the guys who commented on the Race Department support thread mentioned it, that's not you is it? ;)

Are you any good with a camera mate? Nice crisp photo's of road side foliage for the Canyons would help up the immersion to the max? I'm a newb with 3DS Max, and a newb with Photoshop... So some really nice photo's to use as textures would help loads when I get back to working on the Canyons :) Full credits obviously!

As I said before, it's probably best for anyone wanting to do a conversion to wait until I get some more details in... But it's already more than driveable (rideable).

Really glad you're liking my work... and you're very lucky to have access to these roads IRL
It's pretty funny that I'm from the other side of the pond and I've focused on Californian roads.

Vini

Those roads look so awesome. PCH is visually stunning already IMO. BTW, do we have permission to convert that one, too?
In any case, great work!! I'll definitely donate a few bucks.

Quote from: Phoenix77 on November 16, 2017, 03:51:02 AMOther roads on my radar include the "Snake", the Bixby Creek section of PCH, Stelvio Pass and the Norikura Skyline.
ohh boy  8)

Phoenix77

Quote from: vini97 on November 16, 2017, 02:51:01 PM
Those roads look so awesome. PCH is visually stunning already IMO. BTW, do we have permission to convert that one, too?
In any case, great work!! I'll definitely donate a few bucks.

Quote from: Phoenix77 on November 16, 2017, 03:51:02 AMOther roads on my radar include the "Snake", the Bixby Creek section of PCH, Stelvio Pass and the Norikura Skyline.
ohh boy  8)
Thanks Vini, really glad you think it's stunning already... But it's only around 1/4 - 1/5 detailed at the moment. Need to split the terrain into rockfaces, lots and lots of grass, bushes and telegraph poles yet. Sorry I can't give permission to convert PCH at the moment, as it's my tribute to my Brother who passed away last year... So I have a very personal connection to it...
Maybe at a later date, and depending on how well any potential conversion of LA Canyons is handled. The Assetto Corsa - Bixby Creek section of PCH will only be available as an exclusive thanks to people who have supported my work. (Already have the terrain mesh and textures drafted, as well as current PCH props)

Phoenix77

The Snake - Assetto Corsa

Just a highly tesselated terrain mesh... and a 12k satellite diffuse texture laid over the top at the moment.

More information will appear on this thread on Race Department, as and when I get time to work on it.
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/the-snake-mulholland-highway-malibu-assetto-corsa.144586/

Phoenix77

Hi, just to let anyone know... that might have been planning to make a conversion.

There's a new Assetto version of LA Canyons 0.5 out now...
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/la-canyons.15067/

Unfortunately I can't allow any conversions of 0.5 and future versions because I have multiple people working with me now... providing assets and resources. This remains their respective works.

However you're still welcome to convert version 0.3

Thanks

IronHorse

Quote from: Phoenix77 on July 15, 2018, 01:55:12 PM
Hi, just to let anyone know... that might have been planning to make a conversion.

There's a new Assetto version of LA Canyons 0.5 out now...
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/la-canyons.15067/

Unfortunately I can't allow any conversions of 0.5 and future versions because I have multiple people working with me now... providing assets and resources. This remains their respective works.

However you're still welcome to convert version 0.3

Thanks

Hi Phoenix77,

Great job with the track, but please help me understand because i cant understand this.

Cant the multiple people who helped with the track also give their permissions for it to convert to GP bikes? I don't see how they can lose out by this happening... I cant see ANY bad things about it being converted to GP bikes.

In fact its a great and special thing that many communities and players can enjoy their hard work on the track on different games and platforms. If i was making the track i would prefer it works in as many games possible.

Kind regards
Ironhorse