• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

McLaren F1 Team eSports Competition using rFactor2.....

Started by Hawk, August 03, 2017, 03:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

McLaren has become the first Formula 1 team to enter the esports arena, announcing World's Fastest Gamer – the world's most intense and demanding competition for virtual racers. It's a contest that will see the winner offered the best job in esports – a role with the Formula 1 team as one of its official simulator drivers.......

https://www.studio-397.com/worlds-fastest-gamer/

Seems they are all starting to have a dabble with eSports potential?  ;D 8)

Hawk.

PeterV

lol its setup in piboso's font.....could it be him ?  ;)

Napalm Nick

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Quote from: PeterV on August 03, 2017, 05:20:03 PM
lol its setup in piboso's font.....could it be him ?  ;)

ROFL! ;D

Something we should know Pib?  ;D

Hawk.

PiBoSo

My theory is that there will never be interest in eSports that are mere replicas of real life sports.
The public will always prefer the real deal.
Football games work because they are not simulators. The player controls the whole team in what is a pure game experience, a 1vs1 that is completely different from the real sport.
Racing games might have a chance ( still extremely unlikely, though ) using a completely fictional setting. Something like a Red Bull X2010 on tracks with impossible elevation changes and loops.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Hawk

Oh I think both of you(Piboso and Guiga) are SO way off the main highway as to what is going to take off in the not so near future it's painful to hear you both fobbing off realistic simulation esport as though it's likely little will come from it. Do you see anyone using fantasy tracks in GPBikes or ever have done whenever there is an event organised?

Personally I think there are so many people who if they had the chances and opportunities in life would loved to have become F1 drivers or MotoGP riders, but life takes them in a different direction and besides the fact that most(99.9%) know that they'd never be able to afford to take those sports up anyway; it's those sort of people who would be interested in esports to live out their lost fantasy of driving or riding against the best in the world and see how far they can go.
If esports are organised right with realistic simulation software and backed by the big companies and well known teams then in my opinion esports will take-off in a BIG way, and people will want to watch through the media too. :P ;D

Imagine Piboso if Honda or Yamaha endorsed GPBikes by using it for an esport MotoGP event in the future..... Imagine the increase in sales that would pull in for you as well as the prestige for GPBikes.  ;D 8)

Hawk.

PiBoSo

There does seem to be a lot of interest in racing eSports and some big companies are investing money.
For sure there will be a lot of persons willing to partecipate, too.
However, the necessary next step is then to find an audience large enough to make the eSport self-sustaining. Problem is, again, that spectators will always choose the real deal over the simulation. To attract viewers racing eSports must offer something different.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

doubledragoncc

Well maybe this artical will spreas some light on the subject for you all

Jake Tucker . Games . Thursday 18th May 2017 . 13:04

This year for the first time, Milestone's MotoGP game — in this case, MotoGP17 — will be taking on the world of esports, as Milestone have partnered up with Dorna Sports, MotoGP's license holders to launch a MotoGP Esport Championship.
In this instance it's unusual because while Milestone have made the game, and say that this final outing for their Milestone engine is the most realistic yet, the push to turn the game into a fully fledged esport comes from Dorna themselves.
Andrea Loiudice, Milestone's marketing manager, says that all of the push has been from Dorna's side. "It's been exciting, a new step forward," said Loiudice. "Representation came from Dorna which is pretty crazy for us. So, it's not us pushing them to be part of this but it's them asking us to create something. They are already bringing something, they are already bringing the sponsors in so this is completely different for us because it means they are involved completely. They will help on all sides of this."
Dorna's involvement brings with it several big-name sponsors from Moto GP, and this is reflected in the prize, with the eventual winner of the Esport Championship getting their hands on a BMW M240i. That a MotoGP tournament would give away a car as its top prize is amusing, but it's no slouch, with a new one giving you very little change from £35,000.
Dorna's involvement, Loiudice claims, can help with one of the biggest problems for traditional sports hopping into the digital world: the spectacle. "When I think about the other sports embracing esports, one of the problems I see is the show." said Loiudice. "The quality of the show they give is poor. It's not about them, they're not at fault. It's a problem we would have too. The comparison is when you see Motorsports on TV, you see replays, visualisations, etc."
"Replicating those into the game, it's impossible for anybody because you can't render twenty cameras together to provide that. Dorna has been very good in helping us, because they basically know how to build a show. So they are finding solutions for any of these problems and telling us where we need to be on the technical side to fit with their techniques."
"As a studio we're working a lot with their directors right now to tune the director mode that'll be in place for the final races of the tournament, and while this year it'll just be used for our final races in November, next year it'll maybe be part of the core game."
The esports initiative between Dorna and Milestone is planned to last several years, with this years event merely to lay the groundwork for those to follow. The first step will be for players to beat a particular time on three different tracks. From there, players will have to register for the MotoGP Esports Championship, and then they'll be in - the tournament itself is also taking the form of seven online-only time trials, before the top 16 will be invited to an event in November. The November event will be held at the track in Valencia, and broadcast live by Dorna's TV partners.
It's a big step forward for an area of esports that is rarely explored and Loiudice says the level of content they're looking to produce: interviewing the winners of the first challenges, using their access to produce content for the esports event with the real MotoGP racers. It all comes back to Loiudice's first comments about putting on the best show possible.
Dorna and Milestone are under no illusions that getting the most of out the event could take them some time: "They are realistic on what they expect," says Loiudice. "Sometimes, when someone comes from outside the video games world, they speak about things they don't know. But with Dorsa, their plans are realistic and credible so this helps a lot us to develop a plan which makes sense so we don't expect to become bigger and biggest championship around in one year."
It's come together quickly. Dorna came to Milestone in November and the game had already been in development for a short while. "Dorna came to us and said 'We want esports' and we were like "What? This year?" said Loiudice with a laugh, "luckily, they said 'don't worry! We don't want this level, we just want this level." Louidice mentioned with his hands at the two different levels. The second of the two appeared much more manageable.
They've faced many challenges, and these are issues the team are continuing to wrestle with.
"We don't want to show a 45 laps race. We're working on this, we're working on how this gets packaged, similar to TV. We want to put the faces of the people in the starting grid, the real guys who went up to the finals. We want to create the TV graphics and lay them over the top.
"We know it's a different audience, we know it's used two different stuff but with the help of Dorna we think we can enlarge the audience of this. So, this is the first point we need to solve."
"Secondly, we need to solve some issues which are network when you run an eSports competition with racing game which is much more difficult than a one-to-one games. If I play FIFA or League of Legends, the rules are incorporated in the games so it's easy to run a competition. If I run a competition, my risk is the first curve bend. Everybody falls down because they are one against the other. So, we're thinking a lot about this and how to handle this because now in real life, you risk to die. So, basically, you don't run against everybody else, but it's a risk we have on the online races so I can penalise you but in the end of ruin the show."
"The idea (for the future) is next year already to have a full online championship and for some teams to have their own eSports team. It might take a few years but this is the direction they want to follow. It's a vision we share with them completely"

This is why Dorna is interested in the Hs2 as they also want to get away from the gamepad playing. They are serious about eSports and I have to agree with Hawkster too.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Boerenlater

Esports will only get bigger and bigger. Even serious simulation. Not as fast as mainstream games like Dota or whatever is popular with the kids.
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

Hawk

Quote from: Guiga on August 06, 2017, 03:45:50 PM
Quote from: Hawk on August 03, 2017, 10:33:08 PM
Oh I think both of you(Piboso and Guiga) are SO way off the main highway as to what is going to take off in the not so near future it's painful to hear you both fobbing off realistic simulation esport as though it's likely little will come from it.

You don't think we'd not want that? Desire doesn't change reality as things stand at the moment. The painful bit is your posting all over the forum :P

What!? :o
Seeing as you were agreeing - Quote: "Exactly", with Piboso's post, and seeing that Piboso was saying that he thought esports wouldn't work if they replicated real life motorsport, then no it doesn't sound like you think realistic esports will succeed?  :P

But was that remark in your post(Highlighted) really necessary? Did I offend you or something? ::)

Hawk.

Hawk

@Guiga: Don't you realise that all gaming tournament finals that have the big serious cash prizes are run on "Gaming PC's" at big venues around the world..... I've yet to see one of these venues were the games are actually run on consoles.

PC gaming is what serious gaming is all about, always has been.... Consoles are for kids and Gameboys and nothing more.  :)

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

Well eat your heart out as for now DORNA is doing MotoGP on PS4!!!
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

Quote from: doubledragoncc on August 10, 2017, 05:23:46 AM
Well eat your heart out as for now DORNA is doing MotoGP on PS4!!!

That's a DUMB decision on Dorna's part for the long term outlook for esports! Idiots! ::) But I guess you can forgive them for taking Milestones advice on this.  ::)

I suspect that is a decision based on Milestones MotoGP game's most user base being PS4 users? So looks like Sony's brain-washing has filtered through over the years and worked yet again..... What will be next? Exclusively on PS4 and have to pay through the nose for it?! ::) :P

If they are going to make a success of esport they need to see sense and support PC based simulations.... this is partly what I was talking about when I talked about esport only being a success if it's done and organised in the right way..... going down the console route is a bad omen in my opinion.... Short term thinking. :P

Quote from: Guiga on August 10, 2017, 02:45:28 AM
The PC has endless customization and upgradable possibility, but the console is the same base for everyone. You maximize for it without compatibility worries. PC is also far more expensive.

Developers have always said that if they had a choice they would develop for the PC alone hands down, but they have to develop for the mass market and that is consoles, so their hands are tied.  :(

Sony did a great job brainwashing the public into buying consoles.... Shame a large percentage of the public don't realise that they are really paying for the cost of that subsidised relatively low priced game-console with high games prices.... and PC gamers are also now paying the higher game prices to help subsidise the costs Sony charge developers to develop for the PS..... It's all very disgusting marketing to capture the market at the expense of quality and diversity in the video gaming market.... Shame more people don't realise what they are up to and bin their game consoles for good.  :P

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

This is why I am planning on TEACHING Dorna about GPB lol

I thnik we might have a chance to open their eyes a bit

DD

Hawk

Quote from: doubledragoncc on August 11, 2017, 08:00:46 AM
This is why I am planning on TEACHING Dorna about GPB lol

I think we might have a chance to open their eyes a bit

DD

+1 DD & team.  ;) 8)

Hawk.