• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Select bikes

Started by Arvoss, January 19, 2014, 10:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arvoss

It would be great if we could chose which bikes can join a lobby.  Because if I have understood correctly, you need ALL the bikes that the host has. But how do we know which one he has?

Before hosting a lobby you choose the category and then you chose which bikes can join. People that want to join the lobby can see which bikes are allowed.

I don't know if this makes sense to you :p

Hawk

Quote from: Arvoss on January 19, 2014, 10:08:29 AM
It would be great if we could chose which bikes can join a lobby.  Because if I have understood correctly, you need ALL the bikes that the host has. But how do we know which one he has?

Before hosting a lobby you choose the category and then you chose which bikes can join. People that want to join the lobby can see which bikes are allowed.

That's one of the advantages of the Multi-Bike Mod. The servers dibu has with the multi-bike-mod is the latest version available, so all you need to do is make sure you have the latest version of the  multi-bike mod installed.
You can still have other bikes installed on top of the multi-bike version, but so long as you have the bike versions that are on the host server you will be able to connect.

Arvoss

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 19, 2014, 10:21:09 AM

That's one of the advantages of the Multi-Bike Mod. The servers dibu has with the multi-bike-mod is the latest version available, so all you need to do is make sure you have the latest version of the  multi-bike mod installed.
You can still have other bikes installed on top of the multi-bike version, but so long as you have the bike versions that are on the host server you will be able to connect.

Yes, but that is the problem. Imagine GP Bikes in 2 years, what if there are 200 different bikes and 100 different lobbies I can join? How do I now which bikes I need? I don't want to download all the 200 bikes to join 1 lobby.

Now it's easy to download with the multi bike mod, but in a couple of months/years it will not be possible anymore...

Hawk

Quote from: Arvoss on January 19, 2014, 10:31:14 AM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 19, 2014, 10:21:09 AM

Yes, but that is the problem. Imagine GP Bikes in 2 years, what if there are 200 different bikes and 100 different lobbies I can join? How do I now which bikes I need? I don't want to download all the 200 bikes to join 1 lobby.

Now it's easy to download with the multi bike mod, but in a couple of months/years it will not be possible anymore...

I think once we get to that stage, we are going to need different servers for different classes, and maybe even different eras? Say a 1980's, 90's, 2000's server, etc, etc. Riders usually have an era they find most interesting, so they will generally stick with that era of bike if that many bikes become available.

Were there's a will, there's a way ;) ;D

PS: This is were organisation of an established mods package/s is vital for the future organisation of online racing.

iVolution

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 19, 2014, 10:37:24 AM
I think once we get to that stage, we are going to need different servers for different classes, and maybe even different eras? Say a 1980's, 90's, 2000's server, etc, etc. Riders usually have an era they find most interesting, so they will generally stick with that era of bike if that many bikes become available.

PS: This is were organisation of an established mods package/s is vital for the future organisation of online racing.
Yes I think that is probably what is going to happen. Now you are already seeing that people only drive certain classes, and when there are enough people to compete with in that class they'll probably stick to that one as well. If we get to that time that the Bikemod is getting too big we can consider ourselves pretty lucky i guess, but with the current rate at which bikes are being added it might not take as long as we think it will. I just really hope that if we get to release1 a lot of new people will join the community to ride all those bikes  :D.

Hawk

Quote from: iVolution on January 20, 2014, 12:18:04 AM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 19, 2014, 10:37:24 AM

Yes I think that is probably what is going to happen. Now you are already seeing that people only drive certain classes, and when there are enough people to compete with in that class they'll probably stick to that one as well. If we get to that time that the Bikemod is getting too big we can consider ourselves pretty lucky i guess, but with the current rate at which bikes are being added it might not take as long as we think it will. I just really hope that if we get to release1 a lot of new people will join the community to ride all those bikes  :D.

+1  ;)