• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Implement timer for resetting bike after crash

Started by iVolution, January 19, 2014, 08:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

I absolutely agree with Stout's qualification on my suggestion. Now we're talking some real constructive changes that would make sense. ;)

Stout Johnson

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 20, 2014, 03:17:50 PM
Quote from: Stout Johnson on January 20, 2014, 02:19:26 PM
I would make one small adjustment though. I would propose that ...

*if you fall and hit the ground/barrier with an impact above a (to be defined) "impact threshold", then you go straight back to the pits (in a race --> DNF (did not finish))

*if you hit relatively slightly (with an impact that would not necessarily mean you could not continue) then you can continue by re-spawning, but from off the track like Max proposed

I kinda like this. Of course it could be made optional (under hardcore options maybe).

yeah, good idea to make it optional (so you wouldn't scare off the "a-bit-less-realism-enthusiasts" ;) ) the "impact threshold" value could also be defined in like 4 preset values that allow different difficult settings. So in aggregation an additional setting called e.g. "crash realism" could be defined like for example:
- "easy" (the way it is - maybe with reset off track instead of on the track)
- "medium" (with reset at pits "if crash impact exceeds g-force level of 40*")
- "hard" (with reset at pits "if crash impact exceeds g-force level of 30*")
- "hardcore" or "realistic" (with reset at pits "if crash impact exceeds g-force level of 20*")

*  g-force level estimated (I am not an expert in this field) ;)
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Alone

RBp

tracks like enna or any with grass next to wall could stones be added to upset the bike and make it fall? prince gorge has stone models and if you hit them you fall off.  tracks like Avus this would not work with the track edge next to tarmac, maybe a partail work around?

HornetMaX

Quote from: RBp on January 20, 2014, 07:13:14 PM
tracks like enna or any with grass next to wall could stones be added to upset the bike and make it fall? prince gorge has stone models and if you hit them you fall off.  tracks like Avus this would not work with the track edge next to tarmac, maybe a partail work around?
That would be plenty of work for track modders for just a dirty workaround. Let's solve the thing properly.

MaX.

Seajay 64

I hope I'm in the same ball park here,as I was under the impression that the question raised by iVolution was refering to the following?

"To prevent the bike from going on forever after a crash without someone actually on it, i want to suggest putting a timer in the game that makes it possible to reset the bike although it did not come to a complete stop. If the game "knows" when the biker has fallen off (which I expect it does) then it should allow a bike reset after <insert variable here> seconds. After let's say 10 seconds the bike usually has come to a stop and if it did not, it would not be unreasonable to allow for a reset imho."

I myself  have had quite a lot of this problem.

Yesterday for example I fell off my bike at 30 mph  while doing the UGP circuit. Out of curiosity I timed the time it took for the bike to come to a full stop. 1min and 35secs. At the time of the drop the bike shuffled along the road on its side, touched a piece of grass and then got itself back onto two wheels and carried on down the road going from side to side until it came to level piece of grass and came to stop by an invisible wall . This situation is just not right. If it had been a race then for sure other riders would have been impeded or brought down by an out of control bike with no ride aboard, on the track.

1min 35secs is not an acceptable for a time loss

Surely the answer must be that a time switch of some sort could be implemented into the GPB system.

As for re spawning, that's a different matter, as the original question asked, was for an answer to a problem that is is much like the one  I have described above.

I hope I have made my point clear and thank you for reading.

Seajay

HornetMaX

Quote from: Seajay on January 20, 2014, 08:38:03 PM
Surely the answer must be that a time switch of some sort could be implemented into the GPB system.
Not that surely. The proper answer is to modify something in order to avoid having a bike that is THAT stable when no rider is on: that's not realistic.

Putting a timer, a button, invisible walls or whichever other trick is not a solution, is a workaround.

But you're right on the fact that the topic has been drifting towards the other problem (respawn logic). The two however are related as many are asking to change the respawn logic because of the "unstoppable bike" problem (which IMO is bad reasoning).

MaX.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 20, 2014, 08:49:27 PM
Quote from: Seajay on January 20, 2014, 08:38:03 PM
Not that surely. The proper answer is to modify something in order to avoid having a bike that is THAT stable when no rider is on: that's not realistic.

Putting a timer, a button, invisible walls or whichever other trick is not a solution, is a workaround.

Exactly right MaX, I am with you on that! It is just not realistic to have sooo much stabilizing effect like the bikes have in GPB atm. It is there since beta3 if I remember correctly - it wasnt there before. Dunno, if it is related to the simulation of the steering damper Piboso introduced?

If this over-stabilizing effect gets sorted out we will not have to talk about a reset-timer... which imho does not correspond to the simulation approach of GPB at all - therefore it should be avoided.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

RBp

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 20, 2014, 08:27:16 PM
Quote from: RBp on January 20, 2014, 07:13:14 PM
That would be plenty of work for track modders for just a dirty workaround. Let's solve the thing properly.

MaX.

can we solve the suspenstion so it don't crash on every bump which is frustrating. that the same kind of problem?

HornetMaX

Quote from: RBp on January 21, 2014, 04:50:58 PM
can we solve the suspenstion so it don't crash on every bump which is frustrating. that the same kind of problem?
That's a different problem (even if when you touch the physics, everything is affected).

MaX.

Klax75

I get nervous in sims with people talking about different difficulty settings. For me I came to GPBikes because it was hard, you fall off a lot. I worry about settings I've played sims for over 20 years and when there are difficulty levels it all comes down to the lowest common player, meaning easy mode. You'll search through pages of servers of quick thrill ride race servers. That kind of racing is what Milestone games are for. You search the list and find one realistic one out of the bunch.

iVolution

Quote from: RBp on January 21, 2014, 04:50:58 PM
That's just something that can usually be solved by practice. For me its just taking those corners often enough, in different ways, until i find something that works and then ill be fine. Haven't found one corner that couldn't be mastered by practicing it (a lot).