• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:41:01 PM

Vsync not working.

Started by connorhall70, February 05, 2018, 09:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

connorhall70

help. vsync not working, i have it turned on in game but still get 150-200 fps. help. me. plz.
GanjaGod

uberslug

Quote from: connorhall70 on February 05, 2018, 09:37:17 PM
help. vsync not working, i have it turned on in game but still get 150-200 fps. help. me. plz.

Are those processor FPS or display FPS?

connorhall70

Display FPS.
Use rivatuner to monitor it.
its annoying because of the screen tearing / stutter from fps drops.
in beta 12 i had vsync on and everything was fine.
GanjaGod

HornetMaX

Vsync can't do anything for fps drops.
Unless you have very limited hardware, you should probably not be using vsync.
There's an option somewhere (in a .ini) to cap the max fps if that's what you want (but that too won't help for fps drops).

uberslug

When I was having stuttering problems a few months ago I think traced it to the display adapter driver for the GTX1070 I was using. The other possibility I had read it could have been was the PSU [the 1070 was power hungry but this explanation didn't seem plausible because the problem started after a drive update].

connorhall70

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 06, 2018, 07:31:29 AM
There's an option somewhere (in a .ini) to cap the max fps if that's what you want (but that too won't help for fps drops).

when u get an fps drop from 160 to 90, you will notice a slight stutter, thats why i want vsync to stop the stutter and screen tearing.
GanjaGod

connorhall70

Quote from: uberslug on February 06, 2018, 11:58:45 AM
When I was having stuttering problems a few months ago I think traced it to the display adapter driver for the GTX1070 I was using. The other possibility I had read it could have been was the PSU [the 1070 was power hungry but this explanation didn't seem plausible because the problem started after a drive update].

i have a 1070, the strix OC.
its quite annoying in other games too when you have 200 fps+ and u drop 30/40 fps and the game feels like its on 25 fps. happens in gpbikes but thankfully not often. its just annoying when it does.
GanjaGod

connorhall70

i have also used rivatuner stats and neither cpu or gpu are hitting 100%, cpu is around 50% whilst gpu is around 65%. Ram usage just below 4gb, (only have 8) and clock speeds are running normal on cpu, and gpu overclocks itself as and when it feels the need to do so, around 2050mhz.

If temps matter which i know they dont, but for anyone interested, gpu runs at 60C and cpu runs around 80C (i have a shit cooler on cpu atm)
GanjaGod

HornetMaX

Quote from: connorhall70 on February 06, 2018, 07:28:43 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on February 06, 2018, 07:31:29 AM

when u get an fps drop from 160 to 90, you will notice a slight stutter, thats why i want vsync to stop the stutter and screen tearing.
So you prefere to be at 60 constant with a pretty large input delay ? Bad trade-off.
I think your problem may come from something else: a drop to 90 is nothing you should notice too much.

connorhall70

February 06, 2018, 09:12:08 PM #9 Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:31:21 PM by connorhall70
So you prefere to be at 60 constant with a pretty large input delay ? Bad trade-off.

I think your problem may come from something else: a drop to 90 is nothing you should notice too much.
[/quote]

constant 60 on a 60hz display is all i need, with vsync gpbikes beta12 had no input lag. if you configure the settings properly in nvidia control panel and adjust a few other things you can eliminate input lag. also im pretty sure having a 1/2ms response time monitor helps with that too.

can u help me at least limit my fps?

EDIT: Limiting fps made the screen tearing worse. is there any way to actually get vsync working? it says its on yet im still getting 160+ fps
GanjaGod

HornetMaX

Quote from: connorhall70 on February 06, 2018, 09:12:08 PM
constant 60 on a 60hz display is all i need
This is known to be wrong in fast paced games.

can u help me at least limit my fps?

NVidia has such a feature somewhere. Still don't think is gonna be useful for your needs. Otherwise, GPB has something similar:

Quote from: PiBoSo on December 20, 2013, 11:21:55 AM
Starting with Beta4, framerate is capped at 200.
To change the maximum frames per second:

[framerate]
cap = 200

Any value over 1000 or under 10 disables the cap.

Please note that the minimum frame length in milliseconds is rounded to the previous integer.
This means:
120 -> 8.333 ms -> 8 ms -> 125 fps
85 ->  11.765 ms -> 11 ms -> ~91 fps

PiBoSo

Quote from: connorhall70 on February 05, 2018, 09:37:17 PM

Please make sure that v-sync is not forced off in the control panel.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

connorhall70

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 06, 2018, 11:13:41 PM
Unless you use gsync or the amd open source thing, if u know anybody willing to swap an AMD GPU equivalent to a 1070 hmu ;) ahha
but yeh nah i have no issues other than in counter strike, but i put that down to the source engine. for some reason that game just never screen tears yet other games like gpbikes, with similar fps may i add, screen tear alot. yet gpbikes vsync has no input lag, but counter strike does... jesus christ what has the world come to...

anyways, ive always played gpbikes with vsync and it felt so smooth and fluid... without it the screen tearing occurs at the top and bottom of the screen, enough to annoy me. I'm off to have a look if ive accidentally forced vsync off in the control panel as piboso said,

Thanks for the help :)
GanjaGod

HornetMaX

Quote from: connorhall70 on February 07, 2018, 02:50:44 AM
Quote from: HornetMaX on February 06, 2018, 11:13:41 PM
Unless you use gsync or the amd open source thing,
No. If you use gsync/freesync you have even less reasons to use vsync.
vsync and gsync/freesync cannot be active at the same time: if you activate both, on some fps ranges you'll have vsync and on some other gsync/freesync.

Also, I've never noticed screen tearing in GPB: neither on my past setup (1080p 120hz TN panel + AMD 7850) not in my current one (21:9 3440x1440p 100hz VA panel + GTX 1080).

Are your fps drops reproducible ? I mean, do they happen at some specific point of this or that track in a consistent manner ?

connorhall70

i know how gsync & freesync work bro. i have a freesync monitor with an nvidia card so thats why i said if anyone wants to swap a similar card lol.

Ive fixed it now and ive got vsync working, woohoo no more screen tearing.
im pretty sure it was to do with my cpu. its on its way out and it doesnt help that it runs at about 90 degrees+ and i get a overtemp error at least once a week... too poor to upgrade rn even tho i have everything but a new cpu lol.
GanjaGod