• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

FIM MotoGP/Moto2/Moto3 2018

Started by speedfr, March 16, 2018, 08:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uberslug

Quote from: HornetMaX on July 04, 2018, 10:34:05 AM
Quote from: uberslug on July 04, 2018, 10:02:27 AM
Interesting article.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/making-the-case-for-marc-marquez-being-the-goat-greatest-of-all-time/
Yellow shitstorm at the horizon for you (and the author) ... :)

Just because I thought an article was interesting? Intolerance of differing opinions is running rampant these days...

Hawk

Interesting article.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/making-the-case-for-marc-marquez-being-the-goat-greatest-of-all-time/

Just a typically modern piece of rubbish journalism from Michael Gougis, where he's took only a few of the facts of other motorcycle racing era's and spun them to suit his own point of view without pointing out the major advantages the modern MotoGP machines have in comparison and the fact that todays riders don't need as great a rider skill-set to ride fast and close these days - the modern machines are so much more forgiving in their nature and so much easier to ride than the old 2 stroke bike era even the old 4 strokes of the pre-70's era.

Don't get me wrong.... MM is a good rider(how good without the modern electronically controlled bikes we'll never know I guess), but to talk about him being the G.O.A.T. is just total fantasy journalism. Lol! :)

Just realise the fact that Rossi is now a very old man in sports terms, way past his best, yet he can still ride as fast as any new-era star..... doesn't that tell you something about the modern MotoGP era?  :P

But yeah.... It's an interesting article in that it shows just how a journalist can put spin on any subject to suit his own opinions.  :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: uberslug on July 04, 2018, 11:14:36 AM
Interesting article.

Just because I thought an article was interesting? Intolerance of differing opinions is running rampant these days...

Doh, hope you haven't figured this out only now :)

uberslug

The 'Modern MotoGP Era' is about entertainment and the money it brings in, nothing less, nothing more.

uberslug

Quote from: speedfr on March 16, 2018, 08:10:36 PM
Surprised not to see any topic about the new season, i made this one.

And as a presage for the followings seasons, maybe they are prophets at Dorna (or Madame Irma  ;D) they made a mistake on the logo that displays after having a pilot action replay, here it is  8)

Everybody have good races !!!

Maybe...

uberslug

Quote from: HornetMaX on July 04, 2018, 11:23:55 AM
Quote from: uberslug on July 04, 2018, 11:14:36 AM
Interesting article.

Doh, hope you haven't figured this out only now :)

Sometimes it is fun being Captain Obvious...

Hawk

Quote from: uberslug on July 04, 2018, 11:36:55 AM
The 'Modern MotoGP Era' is about entertainment and the money it brings in, nothing less, nothing more.

Well said.... A perfect analysis and description of the current modern 4 stroke era of MotoGP. It's a very sad fact but true I feel.  ;)

Just a shame the current generation of MotoGP fans don't rise-up and revolt against the sport and demand it goes back to genuine rider machine and base mechanical performance and cut-out all the electronic aids.... But then I suspect a large proportion of the modern fans have never known anything different and have no frame of reference to work from and therefore something to be disgusted about.... Just the way the MotoGP and bike manufacturing establishment like it I guess; at least this way they can sell, target and promote bikes sales, as they see it, more effectively at the expense of destroying the very soul of the sport itself.  :(

But if it's entertainment they really want then there was nothing more entertaining and exciting than watching riders trying to master those beastly GP500 2 strokes... that was real rider machine skill sets at work and something to admire and really genuinely appreciate in the riders of that era.  :)

poumpouny

Hawk > Rossi had (more or less) knew booth era (GP 500 and the modern Moto GP). if what you're saying is right, then nobody wouldl beat Rossi these days. Cause as you said he know how to master a non assisted bike (GP500) but is also assisted by the moder moto GP electronic now.

Hawk

July 05, 2018, 09:37:40 PM #235 Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:41:22 PM by Hawk
Quote from: poumpouny on July 05, 2018, 08:24:02 AM
Hawk > Rossi had (more or less) knew booth era (GP 500 and the modern Moto GP). if what you're saying is right, then nobody wouldl beat Rossi these days. Cause as you said he know how to master a non assisted bike (GP500) but is also assisted by the moder moto GP electronic now.

You totally misunderstood what I said.....

Rossi is an old man now, very much in the twilight of his career, so what makes you say he should be unbeatable these days, cause I certainly didn't say that. :o

Yes, there was a time when he did dominate GP500 and MotoGP era's.... But there comes a time as we get older when we realise we are not indestructible and that taking risks has consequences as well as realising that the older we get the less well we bounce when we crash(It hurts more with age).... When we're young and fearless we don't give a f*ck and just do things without realising the possible consequences. Lol!  ;D

But even with Rossi's age against him he can still mix it with the best of this modern era; as I said, that must tell you something of just how good Rossi was and still is in comparison...... Let's see how good MM and some of the other modern-day riders are when they reach Rossi's age, then you can talk about which rider was/is better. :P

But what I was really trying to explain was that the modern MotoGP bikes are easier to ride than the old GP500 bikes and that the skill-sets needed for the GP500 bikes is different to the skill-sets needed for the modern MotoGP bikes, ie: real riding skills where needed to ride the GP500 bikes, it was real seat-of-your-pants riding, whereas a lot of the rider skill-sets that should by rights be needed on the modern bikes are not needed at all because the electronics now compensate for those old true rider skills that defined the great riders from run of the mill riders.

It's the same analogy I'd use for fighter pilots of the older mechanically operated fighter planes in comparison to the modern fighter pilots using fly-by-wire computer controlled fighter jets. I know which era of pilot I'd choose to be my wingman if my life was on the line - The older pilots because there skill-sets would be real skill-sets and not parasite skill-sets directly contributable to the electronics of the plane and not the pilot. :)

JohnnoNinja

Are you sure?;) Because this generation fighter pilots normally start their training on non-fly-by-wire aircraft before they eventually fly the modern fighter jets. So I think the basic skills to fly an aeroplane at their limits are probably the same for pilots from yesteryear or today. Fly-by-wire makes flying a lot easier though, so less brain capacity is necessary for flying, and more capacity is left to operate a very complex weapons platform at higher speeds. When looking at MotoGP, I think riders who are good now with all the electronics, would probably also do very well back in the day on a GP500 machine.. Riding might be easier, but the basic skill set needed to race at the limit of a bike, doesn't differ that much from back then... imho:)

Meyer#12

Quote from: JohnnoNinja on July 09, 2018, 11:53:06 AM
Are you sure?;) Because this generation fighter pilots normally start their training on non-fly-by-wire aircraft before they eventually fly the modern fighter jets. So I think the basic skills to fly an aeroplane at their limits are probably the same for pilots from yesteryear or today. Fly-by-wire makes flying a lot easier though, so less brain capacity is necessary for flying, and more capacity is left to operate a very complex weapons platform at higher speeds. When looking at MotoGP, I think riders who are good now with all the electronics, would probably also do very well back in the day on a GP500 machine.. Riding might be easier, but the basic skill set needed to race at the limit of a bike, doesn't differ that much from back then... imho:)

To some extent i agree with you :)

It is both easier and harder to be a rider now compard to the old days.

The skills needed now is a lot of knowledge of setup or at least a team that is very good at it and you need a communication that can help setting up electronics etc. So that is is just at the point where it just prevents the slides, wheelies etc. That makes you loose time but not enough to loose power and time.

Back in the days, the main thing to be fast on a GP500 was bravery and the throttle control, as those bikes was real beasts! Having ridden a 125Gp with 55hp wheelieing in 3rd and 4th gear and with a powerband between 9-15k rpm i can only imagine how insane a 200bhp gp500 bike is to control! That takes a lot of bravery opening the throttle knowing it might throw you of when you hit the right rpm and also keeping it in the right rpm takes a lot of throttle control.
Meyer#12

JohnnoNinja

I agree, but don't you think MM, Lorenzo or any other MotoGP rider has the ability of proper throttle control on those beasts? They are not used to it and probably need some time to adjust and learn, but these guys are the most talented riders out there. I think there is a fair chance that they would have done good at those machines as well... :)

Meyer#12

Quote from: JohnnoNinja on July 09, 2018, 01:08:38 PM
I agree, but don't you think MM, Lorenzo or any other MotoGP rider has the ability of proper throttle control on those beasts? They are not used to it and probably need some time to adjust and learn, but these guys are the most talented riders out there. I think there is a fair chance that they would have done good at those machines as well... :)

I agree. They would do very well indeed on the oldschool bikes. No doubt at all!
Meyer#12