• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.
 

Next huge step in realtime graphics

Started by Mace-x, March 23, 2018, 01:20:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mace-x

So, any nerds here?  ;D

As you know 3d rendering, more specifically rendering engines such as V-ray, Mental ray, Arnold, Renderman, etc. uses a tecnique called ray tracing, its roughly explained here.


A light source emits rays, they bounce off different surfaces and some of them get to the camera, voila!

While this is super accurate it´s ultra slow because it calculates a bazillion rays each frame, hence a 3d rendering looks awesome but it can take up to a couple hours/frame, while a game engine must push at least 30 frames/second.

Video games fake all that, it looks prety good but is a ton of work to do it right, well, say no more!

Nvidia released a new technology called RTX, and it´s to actually use Ray tracing on video games, this means that we can now have real global lighting illumination, light bounces, actual reflections instead of some crappy made up ones, soft shadows and a lot of overall improvements and ease of use!

ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) used it for a starwars short, everything is realtime or "gameplay" as you might call it.
btw, they are the ones in charge of every star wars and big hit movie visual effects.
https://www.youtube.com/v/J3ue35ago3Y

and a little tech demo on unreal engine 4
https://www.youtube.com/v/tjf-1BxpR9c

poumpouny

wow, i think it will affect the whole 3D world (archi, cinema, etc .... ) not only the video game industries, and all popular render engine (octane, vray, arnold etc ....) have to worry in the next 3-5 years ! anyway as a 3D designer it is all good for me  ;D

connorhall70

QuoteWhile this is super accurate it´s ultra slow because it calculates a bazillion rays each frame"


doesnt that translate over to games? so its gonna look brilliant... at 0.000001 fps?
hope u understand what im getting at bro lol...

to me, what i quoted contradicts "next huge step" lol.
GanjaGod

speedfr

it's a tease from nVidia to kill AMD a little bit more, to engage the manufacturer to follow them with their nVidia Partner Program and try to exclude more the slightest concurrence from AMD and Intel.
In other words, they tease us so next time we want to buy 2 GTX 2080 or new Titan XYZ and sell a liver or two to be able to play. The graphic cards already increased price 'round 30% (up to 42% for the 1080Ti) so they can keep up with developping this, we will only be able to look at it, like little kids in front of the bakery windows...
Hoppefully, only AAA games will be concerned and anyway for GP bike even if it goes 64bits and starts to have eye-candy graphics, it will run on any recent cards, meaning the 9x0 series or equivalent at AMD.

Missing Gp500 (Microprose)  Testing EDTracker Pro on YT   i7-4790K/16Go/GTX1080/1440p/Full WC

davidboda46

The prices on graphic cards are going up because of all the bitcoin miners that are buying the up... bastards getting rich while we have to pay more for our hardware...  ;D

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Mace-x

Quote from: connorhall70 on March 23, 2018, 03:02:52 pm
QuoteWhile this is super accurate it´s ultra slow because it calculates a bazillion rays each frame"


doesnt that translate over to games? so its gonna look brilliant... at 0.000001 fps?
hope u understand what im getting at bro lol...

to me, what i quoted contradicts "next huge step" lol.


well, if you see the videos you can see it running at 30+fps with realtime ray tracing, the big breaktrought is that they managed to vastly improve the ray tracing and denoise it to get a decent result and a good framerate (30fps+) so no, it wont run at 0.0000001 fps  ;D

Quote from: speedfr on March 23, 2018, 03:17:05 pm
it's a tease from nVidia to kill AMD a little bit more, to engage the manufacturer to follow them with their nVidia Partner Program and try to exclude more the slightest concurrence from AMD and Intel.
In other words, they tease us so next time we want to buy 2 GTX 2080 or new Titan XYZ and sell a liver or two to be able to play. The graphic cards already increased price 'round 30% (up to 42% for the 1080Ti) so they can keep up with developping this, we will only be able to look at it, like little kids in front of the bakery windows...
Hoppefully, only AAA games will be concerned and anyway for GP bike even if it goes 64bits and starts to have eye-candy graphics, it will run on any recent cards, meaning the 9x0 series or equivalent at AMD.


while it´s true that it wont help amd card sales, this technology is not a gimmick like nvidia gameworks or physx, this is a step forward in lighting simulation in realtime, helping to close the gap between pre-rendered cinematics and gameplay and mostly, is not a tech demo, is being implemented in unreal this year for us to use it!

and the prices are up because the freaking stupid bitcoin miners  :'(

Think it like this, actually if i need to render a 900 frames scene, in wich each frame takes 5 minutes we are talking about 75 hours of rendering time, assuming everything is perfect and there´s nothing to change.
if we can get a good quality lighting using ue4 and importing all our cameras and objects to unreal, we could render about 30 frames per second, reducing those 75 hours to 30 seconds, of course making some compromises but right now the major compromise is ray tracing, and now it´s being implemented so fuck it, i wont e rendering anything else!  ;D

connorhall70

March 23, 2018, 06:33:31 pm #6 Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:35:24 pm by connorhall70
if you're talking about the nvidia showcase then yeah ofc itll look smooth they have the BEST products you can have all put together to show things off like this, normal people like us wont be able to afford what that needs to work at 60fps or even 30, more like 4...
GanjaGod

poumpouny

@Connorhall > if epic games integrate it to unreal engine, then it's sure it will be supported by general user graphic card, i don't think they ary stupid enough to do such you think lol,

HornetMaX

Didn't check the source but somewhere one was saying the short was redered by a whopping 150,000$ GPU so we still have to wait a bit for that to come to our desktops :)

Warlock

Quote from: HornetMaX on March 28, 2018, 07:00:19 am
Didn't check the source but somewhere one was saying the short was redered by a whopping 150,000$ GPU so we still have to wait a bit for that to come to our desktops :)


Yep. (don't know if 150000, but an unpayable one, for sure) So we need to wait until GPUs are capable of such a task at a reasonable price.

Mace-x

To be honest i´m quite sure nvidia has that type of tech available today at a reasonable price, but why release it since there´s no competition in the market, nothing can even surpass the gtx 1080 wich is an overpriced turd, there´s a video by adored tv on youtube showing the increase on graphics performance and how it´s developing so fucking slow right now, nvidia is holding back big time, i´m quite sure, pretty much like intel, wich after amd released the ryzen processors they came up with some pretty good price/performance ones (8700k)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Mace-x on March 28, 2018, 10:07:04 pm
To be honest i´m quite sure nvidia has that type of tech available today at a reasonable price, but why release it since there´s no competition in the market, nothing can even surpass the gtx 1080 wich is an overpriced turd, there´s a video by adored tv on youtube showing the increase on graphics performance and how it´s developing so fucking slow right now, nvidia is holding back big time, i´m quite sure, pretty much like intel, wich after amd released the ryzen processors they came up with some pretty good price/performance ones (8700k)

I think nvidia may (may) be holding back a bit (a bit) due to lack of competition.
Their hardware is now used in other domains (not talking about mining here), desktop gaming may no longer be their main driver.
There's really no reason for them to hold back in these other domains.