• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:12:48 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Anyone Racing the old GP500s?

Started by MarcL, April 30, 2018, 11:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcL

April 30, 2018, 11:00:38 PM Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:07:26 AM by MarcL
Hi guys, as the title states, is anyone around here racing the '92 500s? I know the lobby isn't teeming with people at all times to scatter them into different servers as well, but I really really love those bikes, and rather curious as to whether anyone races them, or if maybe people would hop in if I managed to host one.

Thanks in advance

Hawk

Great to hear someone is actually interested in racing the 2 stroke GP500 bikes! As everyone knows, I'm a big 2 stroke fan, so I'd definitely be interested! ;D 8)

Only trouble is that beta 13 isn't working for me and I haven't been able to sort it out, so I'm waiting on beta 14 release; hopefully then I'll be able to get back into racing GPB online again.

There certainly doesn't seem to be many if anyone putting up 2 stroke GP500 class servers right now(Shame cause they are great bikes to ride)..... Maybe because it takes greater skill sets to ride the 2 stroke GP500 bikes fast and the modern 4 stroke riders here can't hack it these days...... We have to forgive them, they get very lazy with using all the modern electronic rider aids these days! Lol!  ;D :P ;D :P ;D ;)

Tosteetos

I find these bikes a whole lotta fun. I can't stay on them for the life of me, but would definitely join you and anyone else who's interested  :)

I'd like to know if anyone has any tips or setups on how to ride these things... My biggest issue with these is they run wide on exit. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

MarcL

May 01, 2018, 01:01:35 AM #3 Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:02:27 AM by MarcL
Quote from: Hawk on May 01, 2018, 12:11:26 AM
Great to hear someone is actually interested in racing the 2 stroke GP500 bikes! As everyone knows, I'm a big 2 stroke fan, so I'd definitely be interested! ;D 8)

Only trouble is that beta 13 isn't working for me and I haven't been able to sort it out, so I'm waiting on beta 14 release; hopefully then I'll be able to get back into racing GPB online again.

There certainly doesn't seem to be many if anyone putting up 2 stroke GP500 class servers right now(Shame cause they are great bikes to ride)..... Maybe because it takes greater skill sets to ride the 2 stroke GP500 bikes fast and the modern 4 stroke riders here can't hack it these days...... We have to forgive them, they get very lazy with using all the modern electronic rider aids these days! Lol!  ;D :P ;D :P ;D ;)

Hah! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I am a huge 90s and early 2000s 2-stroke fan. Used to be a huge Microprose GP500 fan for the same reasons. 2-stroke 500s were my jam up until the interim season where they ran side-by-side with the 4-stroke 1000s (Barros vs Rossi @ Assen comes to mind). So, I have a massive soft spot. That being said, I won't pretend to be a GP Bikes rider of any calibre, but just as an arbitrary yardstick, if I had to choose between Moto 2 and GP500s, it wouldn't even be a contest. I enjoy the latter way more, and might actually be somewhat proficient at it. The bike pack is exceptionally made IMO. Throttle response, tires, suspension, I love it. It's the reason I've been aching to actually race these. Sucks to hear about your Beta 13 issue... Any chance I could ask what it is? (I swear, I won't start armchair troubleshooting stuff you've done 1000 times already)

Quote from: Tosteetos on May 01, 2018, 12:27:23 AM
I find these bikes a whole lotta fun. I can't stay on them for the life of me, but would definitely join you and anyone else who's interested  :)

I'd like to know if anyone has any tips or setups on how to ride these things... My biggest issue with these is they run wide on exit. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

I don't recall who posted it, but there was a really cool post I encountered some time ago about how to handle a lot of these bikes. Bikes in general don't like coasting when cornering, nor do you want to be trail braking on your front brake, as the torque will keep you upright. So in general, but especially for these things as far as I know (and trust me, I'm no expert here) you have to:

A. Get done with your heavy braking mostly in a straight line, trail brake with your rear brake to fine-tune your line mid-corner.
B. Always keep a tiny bit of throttle on as you're riding over the apex.
C. Tires tend to perform best when actually slipping a bit, so the ideal exit attitude is a little bit of a slide as you're powering out of the corner, bearing in mind the sneaky torque curve of the 2-strokes, so you don't want to mindlessly hammer the throttle as you're going into the torque band.

Trial and error after that, but eventually you'll feel the rear when you have enough confidence to give it the beans coming out of a corner, it's quite satisfying actually, and it really helps rotate these bikes instead of washing out wide.

(Anyone who actually knows what they're talking about, please feel free to chime in)

connorhall70

i would defo participate.
Only thing is barely anybody on Gp Bikes plays with no aids. and cos of that i dont bother unless the server has aids forced off.
But if someone ran this with forced aids off, like i said id participate.

GanjaGod

RobinHoodUKIP

im a noob but love these bikes, the nsr is just mental though, totally unridable(much like the real thing ive heard).

speedfr

Hello,

i used to practice GP500 as well, for years, when i was moderator in RFR and participate to PoluxCriville Dataswitcher (version 4.0, even had a RFR skin on it  ;D ) but GP500 dropped out when XP came and since then (programm crashed after a certain time, can't remember) i don't know if it runs under 7 or later (i'm on W7) but if it runs fine, i'll be more than happy to give it a go specially if i can use my "rig" instead of keyboard as i use to ride GP500 for so long.

Will come back in here to check if anyone knows if it runs fine on a 64bits systme (windows 98 compatibility mode ? )

Cheers
Missing Gp500 (Microprose)  Testing EDTracker Pro on YT   R7-3800X/32Go/RX6800/1440p/Full WC

BOBR6 84

The oldskool events peterV did were my favorite.. GP500 races! Great fun. Not that i could ever finish a race before killing the poor engine  ::) ;D

Wimp #97

I'm all for GP500 races, the bikes are amazing!
Wimp #97

Champion Moto2 International Cup 2018

Olaf Lehmann

I have only tried the original PiBoSo GP500 bike.
At the moment I need 20 laps for one lap without crashing, but I'm fascinated, 'cause it's so difficult.  ;D 

Grooveski

Quote from: speedfr on May 02, 2018, 11:48:42 AM
Will come back in here to check if anyone knows if it runs fine on a 64bits systme (windows 98 compatibility mode ?

Pretty sure the topic is about the 500 bikes in GPB.   ;)

...but yeah, GP500 still runs on Win7 64.  Still has the 20 minute speedy-up bug but we used to just keep the races shorter than that were still racing every week until a few years ago.
Has to be said, after a couple of years of GPB it feels pretty arcady - still better than most new titles that I've tried though, which is comical considering it's nigh-on 20 years old.
Still fire it up every now and then and do a few laps round Charade. 

Needless to say - I'd be up for some 500 races.  Haven't used the mod bikes yet either - just the standard GPB one.
...and the 250s
....and the Clubman 
:)

speedfr

May 02, 2018, 05:39:15 PM #11 Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:45:50 PM by speedfr
Yes, Grooveski, you are right, that was it, speed up after 20mn or so, and that killed the community and the game.
And the 12 tracks limit, even if it was overpassed by the DataSwitcher was really annoying.

I don't know how it will feel today, maybe like playing Formula 1 on Atari, super pixeled and with screaming colors on screen.
But as i mentionned it on my signature since i'm registered in here, i miss this Microprose title, and in my brain it still the game i loved the most.
GP Bikes took the second place. And for me it's his successor specialy when you see how it's organized in the directory and program, exactly like GP500...  ;)

But yes, way ok too go on 500cc 2T instead of 4 strokes. Oh yes

Missing Gp500 (Microprose)  Testing EDTracker Pro on YT   R7-3800X/32Go/RX6800/1440p/Full WC

Grooveski

Quote from: speedfr on May 02, 2018, 05:39:15 PM
I don't know how it will feel today, maybe like playing Formula 1 on Atari, super pixeled and with screaming colors on screen.
Looks alright to be honest - I can crank my resolution up all the way with it and a lot of the tracks are the same models.
The scaling of the bikes is the most noticable thing - I kinda blanked it at the time but now it's obvious that the R1 or whatever you're on has been scaled down to fit the rider.  There was a time when we were working on new rider animations for a bigger bike but it ended up just another unfinished project on the big hard drive of unfinished projects.    ::)

What it's lacking (now) is feel.  There's no wiggling around and the bikes feel like they're on rails under braking.
You still get into the same sticky situations in the same places as GPB(and the real racers) though.  That's what always impressed me the most about GP500 - you'd see someone in the real races get into trouble and know why, the likelyhood of them getting away with it, how much time they'd probably lost, if it was because their tyres might be going off....
Because the game you were playing was so well written.

Quote from: speedfr on May 02, 2018, 05:39:15 PM
... that was it, speed up after 20mn or so, and that killed the community and the game.
If I was feeling cheeky I'd suggest that what killed GP500 was GPB poaching all it's modding talent.  :P
...but in reality it was just age.  FFS - it was designed to run on a 486 with 4mb after all.   ::)
I flogged it until it looked like I might win the next championship.
...because as host I'd be the only person to turn up.   ;D
Then came to GPB, just in time for Beta 7 - a head shaking wobblefest that had me wondering what all the fuss had been about.   :-\

RobyXit

September 14, 2020, 09:24:59 PM #13 Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 09:54:06 PM by RobyXit
Hi everyone I've just re-istall gp500 after 10 years and it seems to runs good on W7 32 without the 20 min. speed-up bug  8)  It's nice to see some guys who still have this racing bike game.

Grooveski, I remember you well, how are you 8)

Frosty

Hi guys,

I've just picked up GP bikes and love the 2 strokes so if any one is hosting a test or race server for these bikesplease give me a shout.

Cheers