• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:36:29 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

spending most of my time DLing updates

Started by RobinHoodUKIP, September 25, 2018, 08:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinHoodUKIP

any chancethat the modders could stop updating the mods all the damn time.
seriously anytime i try and join a server it seems i have to download all the same bikes and tires.
its honestly getting annoying and putting me off playing as everytime ive gotta spend 20mins going to mega.

janaucarre

Ahahahaha, i said to me exactly the same thing, thats because i play offline every time
But thats like this, before there was update every week or two weeks, dont remember but that was fine.

poumpouny

yes very bad idea to update it every week, in my opinion, monthly is largely enough, in one side it give modder the time to polish their update (through private beta test as they already done) and it make gpbikes easy to play . I don't even talk about gyus, who like me, have limited data plan, but i think you're not many in that case.

Hawk

We did used to have all this well organised and running smoothly via the monthly "BikeMOD Database" updates in co-ordination with modders who agreed to stick to the update procedure, but then some started to publish their mods at any time they wanted so it destroyed all that well thought-out organisation we used to have..... Trouble is we can only advise people about how to do things for the good of all, we cannot force or tell them what to do, and all it takes is one bad apple in the barrel to spoil the lot and then more end-up following their bad-example and before long chaos reigns again.....  so what can we do?

Many times I did warn this would happen but no-one really gave a f*ck it seems.... too many selfish people around now to even try bringing it all back in line anymore unfortunately. :P

The best we can hope for is for Piboso to do an auto-update routine of any missing bike/track that needs updating via an server script denoted database address that the server admin can enter into the server script? Or something similar? :)

Manu

September 25, 2018, 02:20:05 PM #4 Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:22:56 PM by Manu
Personally I don't like the idea of waiting a month to launch an update.

If I have the opportunity to fix something and I can launch it in hours or the next day, why wait a month?

In my last works I try to wait at least a week but he would release it sooner if he deemed it necessary.

Quote from: Hawk on September 25, 2018, 01:43:42 PM
The best we can hope for is for Piboso to do an auto-update routine of any missing bike/track that needs updating via an server script denoted database address that the server admin can enter into the server script? Or something similar? :)

I find it very interesting.
It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.

neoraptor

I agree for the auto-install/update of mods. It would greatly simplify their installation and maintenance.

Why not use something like Steam Workshop (when/if GPBikes comes to Steam).
It works perfectly to add content to games (I am using it a lot with other games), by just subscribing the content you want.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. Confucius
>> Wiki to help modders <<

Hawk

Quote from: neoraptor on September 25, 2018, 02:27:18 PM
I agree for the auto-install/update of mods. It would greatly simplify their installation and maintenance.

Why not use something like Steam Workshop (when/if GPBikes comes to Steam).
It works perfectly to add content to games (I am using it a lot with other games), by just subscribing the content you want.

Steam Workshop would be the ideal solution except for one big issue for Steam: Most of GPBikes mods wouldn't get through Steams content check verification system due to ripped content and/or illegal use of company names/logos without license to do so..... Could well be why Piboso doesn't seem very keen on putting GPBikes onto Steam? :-[

matty0l215

For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

September 25, 2018, 07:38:03 PM #8 Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:48:37 PM by Hawk
Quote from: matty0l215 on September 25, 2018, 07:03:06 PM
FTP....

Still working :P

Maybe a form of this could be used for the server script with a bit of added user information to tell the user what is happening, what is being checked/compared, and which if any units have been found that need updating with a user control option for the routine to download and install/replace any missing/mismatched version units?

HornetMaX

Quote from: matty0l215 on September 25, 2018, 07:03:06 PM
FTP....

Still working :P

Indeed. With a bit of work it's probably even possible to run a profile in unattended mode (i.e. by itself) every day starting 4am. Piece of cake.

Hawk

But FTP updating alone just doesn't solve the issue of checking what you haven't got to be able to join a server unless you use it to update everything, and I'd guess a large majority of riders don't want to store 10GB+ of bike data when they are probably only going to be using 1 - 4 of their favourite bikes at most?  :)

HornetMaX

True, but it's the only solution that doesn't require too much manual effort. Mega sucks (for this kind of stuff, not in general).
Also, the 10GB are downloaded once, then it's just smaller updates. $/GB is low so I guess cost is not a problem.

Of course, an integrated system in GPB would be better but that doesn't seem to be at the horizon despite the request having been made a batzillion times in the past few years (well, since modding was introduced, essentially).

matty0l215

Private hosting would be a better option but then the download speed will be abismol when more than one person is trying to download.

Nexus Mod Manager has recently opened its download client up to all games, just register the game and then start uploading. The you get to use their game client as well to, well, Manage Mods :P

I will take a look at the option and get back to you guys. If it does work I will be discontinuing the BikeMOD as it will be redundent and then modders should be able to upload/update as they please.

Hawk

Quote from: matty0l215 on September 26, 2018, 10:01:26 AM
Private hosting would be a better option but then the download speed will be abismol when more than one person is trying to download.

Nexus Mod Manager has recently opened its download client up to all games, just register the game and then start uploading. The you get to use their game client as well to, well, Manage Mods :P

I will take a look at the option and get back to you guys. If it does work I will be discontinuing the BikeMOD as it will be redundent and then modders should be able to upload/update as they please.

Sounds promising Matty.  ;)

Quote from: HornetMaX on September 26, 2018, 09:30:51 AM
True, but it's the only solution that doesn't require too much manual effort. Mega sucks (for this kind of stuff, not in general).
Also, the 10GB are downloaded once, then it's just smaller updates. $/GB is low so I guess cost is not a problem.

Of course, an integrated system in GPB would be better but that doesn't seem to be at the horizon despite the request having been made a bat-zillion times in the past few years (well, since modding was introduced, essentially).

I was thinking more of the waste of space usage on the working HDD or SDD?
Maybe I'm just an obsessive but I don't like masses of space taken up on my drives with data that is never going to be used. As we all know, no matter how big a data drive you get, it always ends up getting full of data we think will be useful at some stage.... This kind of data cannot be said for bike data that you know your never going to use..... As I say, maybe it's just me being a little obsessive about keeping data and things organised but I've learned from past experience that it pays to keep data/info organised and trash or archive anything that is redundant or isn't going to be used?  :)

matty0l215

Quote from: Hawk on September 26, 2018, 03:04:21 PM
I was thinking more of the waste of space usage on the working HDD or SDD?
Maybe I'm just an obsessive but I don't like masses of space taken up on my drives with data that is never going to be used. As we all know, no matter how big a data drive you get, it always ends up getting full of data we think will be useful at some stage.... This kind of data cannot be said for bike data that you know your never going to use..... As I say, maybe it's just me being a little obsessive about keeping data and things organised but I've learned from past experience that it pays to keep data/info organised and trash or archive anything that is redundant or isn't going to be used?  :)

That's where you are wrong!

BUY ALL THE HARD DRIVES :P ;D